HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 17, 2011, 10:44 AM
Joined Sep 2007
174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokee Flyer View Post
Jim went to the races is he OK?

L.
Sorry to hear that. This must be the reason why I didn't get his reply till now. Hope he get well soon .

Regards,
Edwin.K
edwin3162 is offline Find More Posts by edwin3162
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 17, 2011, 11:20 AM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Yes James, please let us know you are alright.

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Old Sep 17, 2011, 08:40 PM
Hodgehound # 3
Adrian, GA
Joined Mar 2005
4,441 Posts
He is ok. Posted this this morning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkarpy View Post
Some of you may know that I am in Reno for the air races. My son and I witnessed the crash first hand. I watched in absolute horror as the Galloping Ghost pulled up and went inverted coming toward us. I was like a dear in the head lights. I remember think no no no, turn away, turn away. It smashed in the crowd about 25-30 yards from us. I have never witnessed such horror. I was in such shock by the time I got back to my moms house I puked my guts up. I have some video of a few seconds after the crash and I have tons of pictures from the day.
_Lunchbox_ is offline Find More Posts by _Lunchbox_
Old Sep 18, 2011, 12:36 AM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Reno

Hi guy, thanks for all your concern. I am OK but still in shock.

I think the craziest thing to me is when I watch the footage of the accident. It happens so fast. I would swear it seemed longer than that when it actually happened.

I intend to write about my entire experience in a few days, perhaps when I get home. I just need some time to absorb it.

James
jkarpy is offline Find More Posts by jkarpy
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 22, 2011, 10:39 AM
Joined Feb 2009
261 Posts
getting back into the hobby after a long time off and went with the SSX and the motor they sell hope it shows up this week so i can start the build
what size esc do you recommend for the motor ? a 30amp
SWAMPER is offline Find More Posts by SWAMPER
Old Sep 22, 2011, 08:18 PM
Joined Feb 2009
261 Posts
Wahoo got the kit today and have a question , part SC2-B shows a hole in it and to place the hole at the bottom and close to rib W2, problem is no hole in SC2- B so how do you figure out how SC2-B goes ?
SWAMPER is offline Find More Posts by SWAMPER
Last edited by SWAMPER; Sep 23, 2011 at 07:01 AM.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 02:48 PM
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Sep 2011
28 Posts
I am excited. My Father-in-Law and I just got our SSX's and we are building them! I am putting in 12 LED's and going for all Red, White and Blue!!!
Chris72 is offline Find More Posts by Chris72
Old Nov 30, 2011, 07:05 PM
Unemployed, Homeless, Happy
Joined Apr 2006
67 Posts
Been away from flying for a few years. Decided to get back into it a week ago. Spruced up some aircraft over the holiday weekend and flew a couple of wings but decided I wanted a Stick to play with. Ran across the X and remembered they were brand new when I gave it up. Skipped GWS and ordered an X. Can't wait.

Jim
jcfetterly is offline Find More Posts by jcfetterly
Old Dec 02, 2011, 03:44 PM
Joined Apr 2006
67 Posts
Didn't have to wait long. Ordered a full kit Tuesday morning and it was sitting on my porch in Michigan Friday. Thanks for the quick service, patience is not one of my virtues. Let the fun begin.
Old Dec 02, 2011, 07:26 PM
United States, KS, Rose Hill
Joined Sep 2007
989 Posts
No, the fun really begins when you get all the sticks glued together!!!

L.
Cherokee Flyer is online now Find More Posts by Cherokee Flyer
Old Dec 04, 2011, 08:03 AM
Joined Apr 2006
67 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokee Flyer View Post
No, the fun really begins when you get all the sticks glued together!!!

L.
You are probably right. I'm not really into building, would buy an ARF if available, but I'm amazed how quick it's going together. So much better fit than the old die cut kits I started with. Instructions are good too because I only glued one part in the wrong spot so far. And only about 10 seconds after I read James' warning not to do it. Going to rain all day today, probably have it ready to cover by tonight
Old Dec 05, 2011, 11:16 AM
Pacific Northwest US
Joined Nov 2008
40 Posts
Latest

Here's my new SSX with my first try at iron-on decorations. With added aileron travel, it rolls decisively with minimal altitude loss. It stays inverted with only a hint of elevator. Running an Exceed RC Rocket 2220-1500kV + 3S 1300mah lipo.
pwhavens is offline Find More Posts by pwhavens
Old Dec 05, 2011, 11:53 AM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwhavens View Post
Here's my new SSX with my first try at iron-on decorations. With added aileron travel, it rolls decisively with minimal altitude loss. It stays inverted with only a hint of elevator. Running an Exceed RC Rocket 2220-1500kV + 3S 1300mah lipo.
Looks great!

I recommend moving the wing forward until inverted flight requires no elevator input. This will also improve pitch sensitivity. Rite now you are too short coupled. CG can be as much as 1" aft-spar.

James
jkarpy is offline Find More Posts by jkarpy
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2012, 05:30 PM
Joined Apr 2006
67 Posts
No Maiden Today

Spent New Years Day finishing up my SSX build. Just little things, aileron pushrods, adjusting CG, fitting the new 1300 Lipo.

Warm for 1/1 in Michigan, around 40 degrees, but probably a little bit too much wind for a Stick maiden, 30 mph gusting to 45. Temperature is dropping now as those people in Illinois send us what they don't want. I might need skis on it by morning.

Covered it in transparent red SIG Aerokote Light because I found a roll in the closet. Ran out with the ailerons left so got a roll of yellow sorta-transparent Hanger 9 Parklite Ultracote/Oracover to match the X fuse/gear. I was never very good at covering and haven't done it in years. Found them very similar to use but the Aerokote seemed to trim easier. The blades seemed to hang up through any area on the Parklite that had been touched by the iron. Probably just me.

I put the battery mount against the motor mount and the X gear against that. Wing is 1 1/2" back from the gear to balance about 5/8" behind the spar. I mostly fly poly gliders and want the old thumbs to be able to keep up. I'll slide the wing forward as I get used to it. Wing looks quite far back in the picture but is 5 1/2" from the end of the carbon as suggested in early posts. If I'm messing up here please let me know.
Last edited by jcfetterly; Jan 01, 2012 at 08:58 PM.
Old Jan 01, 2012, 05:59 PM
United States, NY, Port Byron
Joined Oct 2005
26 Posts
Looks very nice, JC
quando is offline Find More Posts by quando