SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 09, 2014, 12:41 PM
Joined Dec 2014
10 Posts
Discussion
Help with christmas present

Hi all, I'm new to these forms and after your advice.

I've asked my missus for a helicopter for Christmas. I've had a coaxial before so I'd really like an FP. The problem is, is that she can only afford 40.00. Now I know you can't get a lot for that money. I've found a couple of things in that price range. A Speed Master http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00A78Y9P...I2KW3265LU1AFC (it's a v911 in the UK), a MSR on eBay for 60 (i'd have to give her the extra) or a bnf msrx which would mean me buying a dx6i and batteries with charger.

I want to fly this in my front room which is 4m x 5m. If it can be flown outside in light wind or windless conditions that would be a bonus. The plan is to learn a bit more with this and the buy a larger model for outdoors in the summer (probably still an FP for a bit).

I'm open to all ideas and as long as it will fly in my house job done.
tezcat is offline Find More Posts by tezcat
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2014, 12:55 PM
United States, MA, Plymouth
Joined Sep 2010
382 Posts
The MSR flies a bit better but is flakier (board) and harder to support as it is discontinued. The v911 is a very durable. Get the optional larger transmitter if you can!
ToddMcF2002 is offline Find More Posts by ToddMcF2002
Old Dec 09, 2014, 01:31 PM
Joined Dec 2014
10 Posts
Is the transmitter an issue?

I've found the speed master as a bnf http://www.amazon.co.uk/Replacement-...0C99N6DFV77ACE
Old Dec 09, 2014, 01:42 PM
Im pretty dumb for an Idiot!:)
United States, CA, Redwood City
Joined Oct 2014
223 Posts
The larger v912 transmitter has high and low rates and from what i have noticed provides ALOT better control. It can also bind to some of the other Wl toys helis and quads.
DeAdOne is offline Find More Posts by DeAdOne
Old Dec 09, 2014, 01:46 PM
Joined Oct 2014
223 Posts
If you get a bnf verify what it comes with. I dont believe any of the Wl toys BNF come with a charger or batteries so be careful.
Old Dec 09, 2014, 02:25 PM
Yorkshire, UK
Joined Feb 2007
949 Posts
A shame it's so close to Christmas. Buying from Amazon may get it to you in time, but they're much more expensive than buying from China. Banggood have the same thing for little more than half the price;

http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-WL...n-p-36779.html

But to get the free shipping you'll have to wait maybe six or seven weeks.

For your forty quid you could get the Hisky HFP80 V2 with TX;

http://www.banggood.com/Hisky-HFP80-...-p-942873.html

As easy to fly as the V911 but flybarless. These are a perfectly valid next step up from coax, but more agile, tough, and suitable for outdoor as well as indoor flying. The V911 has been brilliant, but its time is now up, in my opinion. There's just no point in living with a flybar now.

But of course, you'll still have the shipping delay. Even paying the extra tenner or so for expedited delivery probably won't get it in time now.
ranavalona is offline Find More Posts by ranavalona
Old Dec 09, 2014, 02:38 PM
Joined Dec 2014
10 Posts
I'm not worried about it being here in time for Christmas. As long as I can get spares readily, time is not a problem.

I'm thinking that buying a dx6i tx could be a good move for the future so don't mind buying a bnf model. There looks to be plenty of options for batteries and chargers out there. I do still have my lipo charger from my rc car days as well.
Old Dec 09, 2014, 03:00 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Sep 2013
212 Posts
I would go with a name brand (Blade) model instead of the WLToys knock-offs, simply because you can bind them to a DX6i, which can be found used for 70-80 dollars. I don't own any of the WLToys helis, but as far as I know they all come with their own radio, and those aren't quality radios anyway. Get a used DX6i and, for example, a used MSR for 40 bucks, and you're all set. Don't know whether a used heli would be good enough as a Christmas present, though...
getsuyoubi is offline Find More Posts by getsuyoubi
Old Dec 09, 2014, 03:11 PM
United States, MA, Plymouth
Joined Sep 2010
382 Posts
I have 4 MSRs and they are all dead or critically wounded. 1 or 2 will lift off but with too much tail drift to really fly. The others won't bind. I have 6 v911's and they are all flying.

If you are on a strict budget the v911 is easier to own but yes, the MSR is a more capable flyer. But the MSR board can run you as much as $60 and in my experience they are fragile.

The v911 is flysky protocol BTW. Which means the Turnigy 9x is compatible if you want a hobby grade controller. I suggested the larger "toy" transmitter because it has larger gimbals and the "default" one has a highly sprung rudder control that I never liked. The bigger one is more precise.

But yes the MSR is a great choice, its just also a maintenance risk.
ToddMcF2002 is offline Find More Posts by ToddMcF2002
Old Dec 09, 2014, 03:28 PM
Joined Dec 2014
10 Posts
http://www.gadgetbox.co.uk/Product/R...R-/p-6428.html

This looks like the msr to me. Is it a copy? If so, would it bind to a dx6i? I'm quite keen on getting this tx to start learning it.

http://www.gadgetbox.co.uk/Product/R...O./p-9022.html

This F3 has also been mentioned as a decent start point.

I didn't realize there was so much out there. This is why I've asked for your help to find something suitable. I'm also sourcing some sim software, phoenix I think it is called.
Old Dec 09, 2014, 03:33 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
10,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tezcat View Post
http://www.gadgetbox.co.uk/Product/R...R-/p-6428.html

This looks like the msr to me. Is it a copy? If so, would it bind to a dx6i? I'm quite keen on getting this tx to start learning it.

http://www.gadgetbox.co.uk/Product/R...O./p-9022.html

This F3 has also been mentioned as a decent start point.

I didn't realize there was so much out there. This is why I've asked for your help to find something suitable. I'm also sourcing some sim software, phoenix I think it is called.
The first one you link to is a GW9958. This is not a rebranded mSR, but is very similar. I does however use a different protocol (FlySky as opposed to the one the Blade helis use (DSM2/DSMX)

the second link (SymaF3) might actually use the same protocol as the GW9958. I am not sure though, as I dont have one (but one of the syma quads, the X1 does use the same protocol, so it might be the case)
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I "JUST" made a blog post ...
Old Dec 09, 2014, 03:41 PM
Joined Oct 2014
223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddMcF2002 View Post
I have 4 MSRs and they are all dead or critically wounded. 1 or 2 will lift off but with too much tail drift to really fly. The others won't bind. I have 6 v911's and they are all flying.

If you are on a strict budget the v911 is easier to own but yes, the MSR is a more capable flyer. But the MSR board can run you as much as $60 and in my experience they are fragile.

The v911 is flysky protocol BTW. Which means the Turnigy 9x is compatible if you want a hobby grade controller. I suggested the larger "toy" transmitter because it has larger gimbals and the "default" one has a highly sprung rudder control that I never liked. The bigger one is more precise.

But yes the MSR is a great choice, its just also a maintenance risk.
i agree completely. Although i cannot speak for the MSR or any Blade helis.There are always two sides and unfortunately you will have to make a compromise somewhere. If you have never flown helis before i wouldnt recommend starting out with something expensive and expensive to maintain.

I dont crash a whole lot but the v911 will take some pretty much full speed nose into the ground crashes and still fly, atleast one of mine has a couple times.

Adding a paddle style flybar to the v911 makes a big difference to flight capabilites IMO. And you can get like 5 flybars for 5 bucks basically +\- alil.

Unless you just go all out in the beginning its pretty hard to not buy helis and Tx s that you will eventaully out grow(and even then not very likely you will always want something bigger,better,faster,newer). Its possible but as a noob and if you dont have technical abilities it makes it harder to mod a Devo and use deviation. I believe even then there are models that you cant fly but dont quote me on this,I am still green myself and much to learn. Point is no one thing will do everything you want and you eventually need new,better,different stuff.
Old Dec 09, 2014, 06:24 PM
Expert Heli Crasher
Joined Jan 2014
1,012 Posts
I'm a huge fan of the Walkera Devo radios and the Deviation firmware. With just the firmware and no soldering you can fly both Walkera and DSM/DSMX. Later on, if you want to really expand your transmitter to fly a whole bunch of different models and brands, it requires that, 1) You are able to solder, and 2) Have the time to learn to do the modifications, and 3) Are willing to consider the compatible heli list every time you make a new heli purchase. I'm fine with all three so I love my Devo 10.

I have never felt any need or desire to purchase anything from Spektrum. My Devo 10 can fly anything I care to fly. Out of the box you can fly Walkera. Out of the box plus Deviation you can fly Walkera and DSM/DSMX. Out of the box plus Deviation plus a little soldering and you can fly a whole lot off just one transmitter. Works for me. Opinions will vary.

I started with a v911. It's a great little heli, almost impossible to break unless you fly full speed into concrete, and it's a huge bang for the buck at roughly $45 USD. From there I went to used Blade 120SRs which is a decision that I seriously regret. I have sold them along with all of my spare parts, and I am done with Blade forever. Opinions will vary.

HiSky makes some great little helis, both FP and CP. You might want to check them out and post over in their threads.

If I had it to do over again, I would start with a small Walkera heli (FP or CP your choice) and a Devo 7e or a Devo 10. The TX and helis are compatible with no modifications, and the transmitter allows you to load the deviation software to fly DSMX as well with no soldering in additional modules. It allows you to add many more supported helicopters later if you decide to solder in additional modules. So with this route you have a whole lot of flexibility, will not have to spend more later to replace your gear, and you will get decent quality stuff at fair prices. Opinions will vary.

I love, love, love my WLtoys v930. However, the stock transmitter that comes with it isn't very good. I'm flying it with my Devo 10 but it required me to solder in a module into the transmitter and I do use Deviation. With my Devo 10 I was flying a quad, three Blade 120SRs and the v970 all with the same high quality transmitter. Awesome. I'm now moving on to Walkera helis, and I don't have to worry about my transmitter. I can fly whatever I want and save money by buying BNF helis.

Be VERY aware that not just any Walkera Devo radio can use Deviation firmware. Consult with www.deviationtx.com to make sure before you buy. Most Devo radios that come bundled with RTF helis are not usable with the Deviation firmware. A lot of people like the smaller Devo 7e with Deviation, and it's more economical, but my preference is the full-size Devo 10, which I think is the biggest bang for the buck.

No, I am not a Walkera sales rep. I do know what is decent quality, affordable, and flexible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezcat View Post
I'm also sourcing some sim software, phoenix I think it is called.
Phoenix is the number 1 sim for helis I think. I have been using RealFlight for many years, so I stick with it, but most people here seem to use Phoenix. The sim is the single best investment I have made.

-Florida Heli-
Florida Heli is online now Find More Posts by Florida Heli
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Florida Heli; Dec 09, 2014 at 08:08 PM.
Old Dec 09, 2014, 08:35 PM
Expert Heli Crasher
Joined Jan 2014
1,012 Posts
Tezcat, don't overlook HeliPal or other places as a source for your helis and parts. I just looked at Amazon UK and the prices seemed insane to me. Try to ask someone about HeliPal shipping to the UK to see what the timeframe, cost, and any taxes might be, but I'm wondering if you can do better than Amazon UK. Banggood is great here in the US but takes 2 weeks to get to me from China. A few (very few) items are in their EU warehouse.

The v977 is the collective pitch version of the fixed pitch v930 that I love so much. It's up to you if you want to start off with collective pitch.

http://eu.banggood.com/Wholesale-War...Uk-914247.html

http://www.banggood.com/WLtoys-V930-...-p-914248.html

http://www.banggood.com/WLtoys-V911-...s-p-79099.html

http://www.helipal.com/walkera-hm-mi...n-devo-7e.html

http://www.helipal.com/walkera-hm-mi...d-edition.html

http://www.banggood.com/Hisky-HCP100...-p-915117.html

http://www.banggood.com/Hisky-HFP100...-p-942876.html

Have you looked around on ebay UK? I get a lot of stuff here in the US on ebay for a whole lot less than Amazon. There are a lot of good options and fair prices, but not necessarily on Amazon UK.

All of the links I posted above are options that I would consider. It depends on your price range and your goals. One thing is for sure in this hobby, you have to keep opening your wallet wider, and wider, and wider.

-Florida Heli-
Florida Heli is online now Find More Posts by Florida Heli
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Florida Heli; Dec 09, 2014 at 08:53 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 05:38 AM
Joined Dec 2014
10 Posts
I would like to end up flying collective pitch helicopters, that's my goal. However I've read that they are very hard to learn and it doesn't sound like that would be possible to do in my front room.

I have seen other posts on this forum that say a quad is a good starting place to learn for cp and the looks to be some good options out there with micro quads. Looks like a lot more reading required!