Old Oct 19, 2014, 06:12 PM
"Go Fast & Turn Left".......
Joined Feb 2013
72 Posts
Discussion
I am thinking of re-doing the ESM P-51B Mustang, German Kill Markings:

Hi Guys,

I am thinking of re-doing the ESM P-51B Mustang, German Kill Markings:

In my opinion 4 little black boxes in the shape of a 4-way quad, on a White circle background, on a Red square; just don’t cut it as scale, German Kill Markings. I am sure that I can’t be the only guy who looks at these Kill Markings and thinks it looks horrible. Especially since the rest of the airplane looks so good.

My question is where do you start, and what‘s the best procedure to go with to replace them?

I purchased from Tower Hobbies some “Major Decals – Water Transfer “German Kill Markings”.

1. I figure I need to either remove or cover up the 4 little black boxes.
2. Should I remove the 4 little black boxes with some sandpaper or other method or cover them up with some white paint?
3. Once the 4 little black boxes are removed or covered up sufficiently, then install the new German Markings.
4. Paint with a Dead Flat Clear coat of some sort to protect them and most of all blend them into the existing paint scheme.

Sounds pretty straightforward and easy, but I think the trick is to having the final outcome look Great is to do a good job removing or covering up the 4 little black boxes. I think the trick to having the job come out looking great is to always make sure the base job is done well. Adding the decals and the Clear coat is the easy & fun part.

So again, I guess I am looking for some guidance and / or suggestions with step one? Do I remove or cover up the 4 little black boxes and what is the best procedure to go with?

OK, Guys what do you got for me?

Thanks a Bunch

Ed
electriceddie is offline Find More Posts by electriceddie
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2014, 10:20 AM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,600 Posts
You may get better response if you post a picture so we can see what you are talking about. I cannot visualize the problem.

Les
LesUyeda is offline Find More Posts by LesUyeda
Old Oct 24, 2014, 12:28 PM
Joined Feb 2013
72 Posts
Pics of German Kill Markings That I Am Trying To Correctly Restore:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesUyeda View Post
You may get better response if you post a picture so we can see what you are talking about. I cannot visualize the problem.

Les
As requested.

Here are some pics to better explain what I am trying to do. I can either paint over the first part of each of the 4 of the black lines to bring out the swastika kill markings. To better explain draw a swastika, then connect the open part of the line. I am saying to do the reverse, the line is there, remove the first half.

I could try to carefully scrape off part of the lines or sand the entire set of 4 little boxes off and then repaint over the circle area with white paint. Sounds like it could get tedious.

Or, With white paint, paint over the black squares leaving just a white painted circle and then lay up a nice new German swastika Decal from ”Major Decals” over the white painted circle.I am just not sure how the end result will be with adding the white paint.

Once I go down that road there’s no turning back. I don’t want it to look blobby or will the black lines show thru the white paint. Will the white match? I could go on & on.

Thanks
Ed
Old Oct 24, 2014, 01:24 PM
Scale Builder
United States, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined Jul 2002
2,603 Posts
I can make you some water slide decals which you can simply stick on over the top of the existing markings. Heck, if you've got access to a printer you could even do it yourself. Testors makes a do-it-yourself decal kit that works great.
Chad Veich is offline Find More Posts by Chad Veich
Old Oct 25, 2014, 06:06 AM
# Scale is a way of life
United States, OH, Avon Lake
Joined Apr 2010
2,065 Posts
Chad, nice offer to give a man a fish,,, maybe teach him how to fish instead

MicroMark sells everything you need except the printer,,

http://www.micromark.com/decal-paper.html
scale_only is offline Find More Posts by scale_only
Old Oct 25, 2014, 10:30 AM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,600 Posts
political correctness at its extreme :-(((((((((((((((

Chad, Will the water slides be opaque enough to cover. Mine never were. I always had to paint a white background.

Les
Old Oct 25, 2014, 08:43 PM
Scale Builder
Joined Jul 2002
2,603 Posts
Les,

I was actually surprised at how opaque the white decal film is that I am using. I have not expirmented with it enough to be able to say for sure that it would work in every circumstance but, worst case, you could always apply solid white decal film first.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 10:08 AM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,600 Posts
Interesting. My experience was a long time ago (in the beginning:-))))))), so I'm sure things have changed, some.

Les
Old Oct 27, 2014, 03:40 PM
Scale Builder
Joined Jul 2002
2,603 Posts
I think much has to do with the quality of the decal paper Les. The white stuff I have I purchased second hand from a plastic model guy and it was pretty expensive but the opacity seems better than some of the cheaper brands.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 04:54 PM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,600 Posts
"I think much has to do with the quality of the decal paper Les."

Could well be. It was so long ago, I don't even remember where I got mine, or what it was.

Les
Old Oct 28, 2014, 06:35 PM
Joined Feb 2013
72 Posts
Removing the Old Kill Markings

Hi Guys,

I tried several different ways to remove the Kill Markings. The best way that worked out for me was to use the side of a good old X-acto blade and dragging it across the area to be removed. Below you will see the steps I went thru in the Pics.

Thanks

Ed
Last edited by electriceddie; Oct 28, 2014 at 06:49 PM.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 06:45 PM
Joined Feb 2013
72 Posts
Removing the Old Kill Markings

Hi Guys,

Below you will see some more Pics. The first Pic I took a Kwik-Link Nut wrench and a small cut out of a circle of 150 grit sandpaper and glued it to it. This worked well sanding the Kill Markings and staying inside the white circle area. I tried to stay away from the Red portion of the marking and to just sand the white area to level out the scratches from the knife that was caused when scraping off the Kill markings.

Then in the third Pic you see a very small piece of 200 grit sandpaper in my finger tips sanding out the scratch marks a bit more.

Then the last Pic is a close up shot of the markings which I will apply a bit of primer to next to see where we stand. Adding some primer is an excellent way to see if it's ready for paint. Primer will show any of the imperfections before painting the final coat of paint. The Primer also gives an excellent base for the top coat of paint.

Almost time to get the airbrush ready to start painting. I just need to figure out yet what paint I will use, most likely I will use one of the Testors Enamel or the Acrylic types of paint. Of course then trying to color match it.

After the paint I will apply some water transfer style decals made by Major Decals which I purchased from Tower Hobbies. Then apply some Clear Coat over it.

I will post some more pics after I get the paint applied.

Thanks

Ed
Last edited by electriceddie; Oct 28, 2014 at 07:02 PM.