HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 11, 2013, 09:56 PM
United States, IA, Perry
Joined Aug 2013
30 Posts
Build Log
1/4 scale curtiss jenny detailed

curtiss jenny has geman machin gun real history! Hi! again [I think} Still learning how to use this sight so laugh but hang with me for now. Anyway, To start. My on going project Is a 1/4+ scale curtiss jenny with german machine guns. When I was much younger my great great uncle told me about his time in the great war. He was a pilot. He knew my Heavy interest in flying back then and told me about this plane, he also showed me some photos. At least one with this set up in it. I am trying to track and retrieve these images currently, with some luck I may have them soon. For now I would like to share with you some pics of my passionate adventure so far. By the way, on a personal note.., I would like to thank all of you! The knowledge, tips and vast education I have Learned from you folks have helped dwell me into much further research and learning skills. Never ending thank you! I still need a lot of guidance And advise Please! any Input is very helpfull. The specs are as follow, wing span 144" fuselage length 82" weight so far, 35lbs?vandornanita@yahoo.com
michael quillan is online now Find More Posts by michael quillan
Last edited by michael quillan; Oct 05, 2013 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Incomplete post
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 02, 2014, 03:49 PM
United States, IA, Perry
Joined Aug 2013
30 Posts
1/4 scale is really 29% scratch continued

Hellow folks, I'm still working on her. Since this previouse group of photos many changes and additions have been done. New tail structure assy., larger lighter, more exact to origanal jenny build correct for scale. Also WW1 scr-68 radio incorporated in the build . First radio used in aircraft, also first used in curtiss jenny 1917-18. Built to scale complete with antenna + reel and wind powered generator. I have many different photos scattered through out this sight, dont ask me how all that happened. Heres a few more pics some are dups i'm sure. Have been doing alot of reasearch on power have some good ideas, and direction but need more imput. Well anyway here goes
Old Jun 02, 2014, 05:48 PM
formerly soaringbird
mount dora, florida
Joined Jun 2006
317 Posts
Beautiful!!!
FranklinB is online now Find More Posts by FranklinB
Old Jun 04, 2014, 05:49 PM
United States, TX, Leander
Joined Sep 2003
2,802 Posts
Learn something new everyday. I never new there were guns on a Jenny. That's a right fine build ya got goin on there.
Edwin
edwin1 is online now Find More Posts by edwin1
Old Jun 05, 2014, 11:03 PM
United States, IA, Perry
Joined Aug 2013
30 Posts
hey edwin , Its Michael. Just to fill you in on alittle history some of the curtiss jenny trainers were equipped with machine guns for advanced training. However this is not one of them. The real plane from which this derives had a pair of ww1 german guns mounted. The story went something like this. They had aJenny equiped with communications, They then decided to arm it, They decided to put some german guns on Also to do some reasearch for a new fireing interuter they were working on. My great great uncle told me about it many years ago Hopefully Ill be getting more details and a Known photo Very soon. I will share all this information with everybody at that time. Anyway thanks for mentioning this, and thanks for the compliment.
Old Jun 06, 2014, 01:30 AM
Joined Jan 2009
1,556 Posts
VERY impressive. Paint those clevises a "brass" color and no one will hardly notice they aren't turnbuckles. I'm partial to JN-4's from slightly North of Buffalo NY . Quite a few Canucks were operated here in the US, by both Canadian and US military training forces.
packardpursuit is offline Find More Posts by packardpursuit
Old Jun 06, 2014, 08:45 AM
Joined Sep 2003
2,802 Posts
I'm assuming that's a proctor kit, correct? No wonder they cost so much. Get the right documentation and you can compete with that one.
Edwin
Old Jun 06, 2014, 02:43 PM
United States, IA, Perry
Joined Aug 2013
30 Posts
hello guys, Really happy your taking a look! From my perspective You guys are the ones with the experience and knowledge I desire in this hobby, thus you are my mentors. As for the build it self, Totally scratch. Lots of salvage, recycled materials any thing I found that I thought I could use for certain areas of the build. I have no power tools, not even a drill! I am hopefully temp. wheel chaired and extremely tight on fixed income but I wont let it stop me!I researched extensively Then made my own plans (couldnt even afford to buy any) Then modified them for definite flying capabulities , and chose 28-29% to be suitible scale. Thank goodness I watched a lot of Mc Gyver when I was young, a lot of problem solving always on going. As for the clevses I had thought about painting them some kind of antique brass, bronze but feared it might make them too loud there for showing them off too much. But mayebe your right so, I'LL try a few. Thanks! Wait till you see the pilots. Still working on them.
Old Jun 06, 2014, 09:45 PM
Joined Sep 2003
2,802 Posts
Then there might be a few things you could teach us.
Edwin
Old Jul 19, 2014, 07:45 PM
United States, IA, Perry
Joined Aug 2013
30 Posts
jenny going for first walk this year better camera.

Hello, Been catching up with some of the little loose ends lately but still making progress. I can't stop myself, Love it. Thanks guys. Love to see them fly, but beginning to think I just love building them! Still looking for power! GP88cc? Electric, I think smarter but owe! or reduction drive. All and then some will work. I hate this next thing I'm about to say, I'm considering selling this project as it sets. Hurt'n times once again reer those ugly heads! But not to stop Building. Almost finished Detailed draft, plans for extremely detailed Bristol F4B? With all the goodies full 1/3 scale Working on the plans on and off for two years now. But for now send some pics of the Jenny's progress. Let me know what you thnk? I count on you folks. I learn from you!
Last edited by michael quillan; Jul 19, 2014 at 08:41 PM. Reason: not all pcs came through
Old Jul 20, 2014, 04:58 PM
United States, IA, Perry
Joined Aug 2013
30 Posts
Also I forgot! Anyone out there know the engine dimensions for GP88, GP88 evo? Sorry should have asked that earlier.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 07:10 PM
boat butcher
Whittier CA.
Joined Oct 2009
1,458 Posts
Wow, that really is a work of art .

Mark
the goon is online now Find More Posts by the goon
Old Jul 22, 2014, 05:24 AM
Supersonic Engineering
UK, Greater London, Uxbridge
Joined Mar 2001
3,135 Posts
Michael - I was somewhat saddened to read that you're thinking of selling your masterpiece. That being said, I can fully understand why you might want to do that. Perhaps you can find someone to buy it that will love it as much as you clearly do - it'd be great to see it airborne. Alternatively, you might like to consider donating or loaning it to a deserving and suitable museum.
GordonTarling is offline Find More Posts by GordonTarling
Old Sep 24, 2014, 05:11 PM
United States, IA, Perry
Joined Aug 2013
30 Posts
285 curtiss jenny

Hello, Its me Michael again. Just thought I would show a few more pics. Acouple of new additions for the jenny I built a transport cradle, pretty cool! Just back her up in tne frame wheel automatcaly line them selves up keep going she raises up a felt covered ramp platform is stopped into position there, and is 3/8" off here wheels. thenn lift the tail and swing the paded rear support into place strap gently and its secured! now you can remove the wings and place them in their frame shelves net them down and go! Also added(painted) wing markings(U.S. rondals) Came out great! thanks to your shared expertise They want carefull smooth. let me know what you think?