SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 05, 2013, 03:01 AM
Sydney Australia
Joined Jul 2008
244 Posts
Question
Battery for Revell 1/72 Type VIIc

Just finished the construction of my Type VIIc sub and in the process of trimming it in the local pond. I have decided to go for dynamic diving to simplify things in the beginning and if successful upgrade at a later date for static diving.
My question is what type and size of battery are constructers using?I tried using a nimh battery but found during the trimming process that it was too heavy and had to revert to a lipo battery after having to add 7.8 ounces of lead in the keel.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
fly4fun6719 is offline Find More Posts by fly4fun6719
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2013, 07:49 AM
Philippines
Joined Jan 2005
892 Posts
Most modelers nowadays use LiPos. Size would depend on how big your wtc is. With David Merriman's 2" SD unit for the Type VII the battery compartment is 2" x 3.125" long.

Can you post photos of your boat and wtc?
redboat219 is offline Find More Posts by redboat219
Old Mar 05, 2013, 03:20 PM
Sydney Australia
Joined Jul 2008
244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redboat219 View Post
Most modelers nowadays use LiPos. Size would depend on how big your wtc is. With David Merriman's 2" SD unit for the Type VII the battery compartment is 2" x 3.125" long.

Can you post photos of your boat and wtc?
Thanks Redboat for the reply.I usually only use lipos but went for the nimh battery due to more simplicity when charging(no need for a balance plug).As you can see from the photos my battery compartment is probably twice the size of David Merriman's with charging connections on one end plate which allows me to charge the battery by only removing the deck.I am using 50mm polycarbonite for the WTC and chose to build my own for two reasons. Limited funds available( I am retired) and the challenge of building my own.
If the battery compartment in David Merriman"s SD are the sizes you state it must only be a very small capacity battery.
I am using a 1300mah 2cell lipo and getting run times of about 10 minutes. The battery used was one I had on hand to try and now looking to increase its capacity. I will be trying that by adding weight to the WTC equivalent to increase in size with the bigger battery to see if the sub can take the weight without much retriming.
Old Mar 06, 2013, 04:59 AM
Philippines
Joined Jan 2005
892 Posts
Nice looking wtc you made there. Noticed your endcaps don't have o-rings. Any problems with leaks.
redboat219 is offline Find More Posts by redboat219
Old Mar 07, 2013, 03:00 PM
Sydney Australia
Joined Jul 2008
244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redboat219 View Post
Nice looking wtc you made there. Noticed your endcaps don't have o-rings. Any problems with leaks.
The endcaps are actually plumbing PVC blanks that were a very snug fit into the polycarbonite tubing. I tried using an "O"ring as a seal but didn't have much success and so opted to use silicone. It doesn't pose any problems if you need to dismantle the WTC.After that the only source for leaks was the seals around the servo pushrods.It was hard finding seals that didn't have small pin holes in them.The drive couplings from the motors to prop shafts are modified fuel tank clunks cut down, tapped with a 4-40 thread to take a grub screw. The flexible material is glo engine fuel tubing.
Is there an allowable leak rate for these WTC's? Not knowing this I went for zero leak with the WTC at a depth of 1 foot (30cm) for 1 hour with the servos and motors operating now and then during that time.
During dynamic diving tests it won't dive any deeper than just below the top of the sail(conning tower) with the sub in a straight line at full power.I have increased the forward dive plane angles as much as I can and added as much weight in the bow area as possible and thats the best I can get. Any ideas?