HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 04, 2012, 02:27 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,803 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reegor View Post
Thanks for all your notes.

With similar systems (e.g. FY-20A) you should permanently turn off turn coordination when using gyro stabilizer. The purpose of turn coordination is to compensate for adverse yaw when the plane rolls. But the stabilizer will do that for you. If you have coordination mixes turned on in your TX, then the gyro is told to over-compensate for the yaw.
From what I remember with heli's (which normally have a gyro on yaw), you still may need some yaw command (either manually or mixed in with aileron) with a yaw gyro as the gyro will try to keep the plane unchanged in yaw (so fight both adverse yaw and yawing with the bank) as you turn with the ailerons.
Especially in headhold mode, the stabilizer may refuse to let the nose yaw with a turn until some rudder command in the direction of the turn is given.
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 04, 2012, 04:00 PM
Keller, TX
Joined Aug 2010
21 Posts
Maybe a dumb question, but: I have a Zephyr so its a flying with with elevons and no rudder. I see that the mixing for elevons should now be done with the Guardian and my TX reset to standard mode. The wiring diagram that comes with the Guardian depicts the rudder channel being used for elevons. Since I don't have a rudder I will have to leave that channel out. Will this have serious adverse effects on stabilization? Is there an advanced setting somewhere to eliminate the rudder from a plane with elevons? Thanks for your guidance.
TxRider is offline Find More Posts by TxRider
Old Jul 04, 2012, 04:40 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxRider View Post
Maybe a dumb question, but: I have a Zephyr so its a flying with with elevons and no rudder. I see that the mixing for elevons should now be done with the Guardian and my TX reset to standard mode. The wiring diagram that comes with the Guardian depicts the rudder channel being used for elevons. Since I don't have a rudder I will have to leave that channel out. Will this have serious adverse effects on stabilization? Is there an advanced setting somewhere to eliminate the rudder from a plane with elevons? Thanks for your guidance.
I haven't looked at the manual, so I can only imagine that it is like the osd pro and guardian.

You hook up the flaperons to the aileron and rudder channel. It doesn't matter which goes to which, then you set it up in the firmware to flapperon, and it mixes it for you.

Someone else can pipe up, but I'm sure that it is close to what I have described.
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
Old Jul 04, 2012, 04:46 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,340 Posts
Quote:
I've run multiple wings with no rudder with no issues on the guardian.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 04, 2012, 05:36 PM
Joined Jul 2009
303 Posts
Pot Gain & TX Gain Interaction

In setting up my new Guardian stabilizer unit, the set up instructions aren't geared toward the Hitec Aurora 9 radio that I have, but I have basically set it up like a gyro & I have put the 3 modes on a 3 way switch, & assigned that channel of the radio to gyro 1 in my radio set up (I did this to be able to assign the +100%, 0% & -100% values the instruction specify for mode control) And I'm trying also to set up the master gain to be controlled by the TX on a slider or switch to be able to make up or down adjustments to the pot gain settings (which are all at about 40%-50%) while inflight.

But I am somewhat confused as to how the pot gains interact with the master control. For example, if they are both set at 50%, does that result in that actual amount of gain or only 25% (50% of the pot gain setting)? I'm also having problems getting my TX to allow me to set different values for 2 separate gyro channels, & to be able to assign the mode control to a switch & the gain control to a slider, but that is a separate Hitec issue (unless there is an A9 guy out there who can help with that). Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Jed
jedorme is offline Find More Posts by jedorme
Old Jul 04, 2012, 05:46 PM
Keller, TX
Joined Aug 2010
21 Posts
m_beeson, thank you but I am setting up elevons, not flaperons.

flitelab, thank you for your confirmation on no rudder with Guardian; I will give it a go!
Old Jul 04, 2012, 07:15 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Joined Mar 2006
3,803 Posts
Quote:
Looking at page 5 of the Guardian 2D/3D manual, for elevons (and v-tail without ailerons), it lists for output:
*Guardian aileron out -> elevon servo 1
*Guardian elevator out -> elevon servo 2
*Guardian rudder out -> rudder servo

this implies that the 2 elevons are controlled by the aileron and elevator "Guardian outputs" (not the rudder), with the rudder being controlled by the rudder output.
This looks like other elevon setups that I have seen and makes sense to me:
rudder is present but separate from the elevons in a 4 channel elevons + rudder plane (I have had 3 such planes), with "aileron" and "elevator" controlling the 2 elevons.
Old Jul 04, 2012, 07:20 PM
Keller, TX
Joined Aug 2010
21 Posts
Yes, I agree this looks like other elevon setups but in this case we are incorporating stabilization. If the stabilization program is expecting to have rudder control on the rudder channel then it may not work as expected. I will try without since that is my only option and flitelab has also had good luck with this.
Old Jul 05, 2012, 01:42 AM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Joined Mar 2006
3,803 Posts
Quote:
Yes, I agree this looks like other elevon setups but in this case we are incorporating stabilization. If the stabilization program is expecting to have rudder control on the rudder channel then it may not work as expected. I will try without since that is my only option and flitelab has also had good luck with this.
As far as I can tell, with a 3 channel plane, one can only directly control 2 of the 3 axes. So if you wanted to stabilize the aileron and rudder (roll and yaw axes), you will need to leave out stabilizing elevator (pitch axis). So some axis that the Guardian 3D is meant to control will get left out.
Old Jul 05, 2012, 03:48 AM
Great White North
Joined Jun 2008
650 Posts
Guardian Quad

Hi Folks

I was out with my guardian quad testing 3d mode. I use my multirotors for smooth aerial video and photos, and I am the first to admit that I suck at 3d flying of quads !

but have a look at this as some folks had asked about fast forward flight and flips rolls etc with the guardian

Guardian FPV (3 min 1 sec)

Al
alros_100 is online now Find More Posts by alros_100
Old Jul 05, 2012, 10:04 AM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alros_100 View Post
Hi Folks

I was out with my guardian quad testing 3d mode. I use my multirotors for smooth aerial video and photos, and I am the first to admit that I suck at 3d flying of quads !

but have a look at this as some folks had asked about fast forward flight and flips rolls etc with the guardian

http://youtu.be/u7FPFIutyzs

Al
Al,

That's cool,

which FC are you using?
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
Old Jul 05, 2012, 11:18 AM
Great White North
Joined Jun 2008
650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_beeson View Post
Al,

That's cool,

which FC are you using?
The guardian is the flight control board - nothing else !!!

Al
alros_100 is online now Find More Posts by alros_100
Old Jul 05, 2012, 02:40 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying-llama View Post
As far as I can tell, with a 3 channel plane, one can only directly control 2 of the 3 axes. So if you wanted to stabilize the aileron and rudder (roll and yaw axes), you will need to leave out stabilizing elevator (pitch axis). So some axis that the Guardian 3D is meant to control will get left out.
Guard 2D/3D will in fact control all three of these flight controls. Long ago I posted numerious post of me flying my Lil Banchee with Guardian in both 2D and 3D modes. It has Ail., Evevator,Rudder and Throttle which Guard. does not contriol.

FYI Unit I preordered on MArch 15 arrived today ,ones I preordered on Apr.6 are on the way.

Good explanation of Trans. controled gain settings here

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=529
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; Jul 05, 2012 at 02:48 PM.
Old Jul 05, 2012, 03:49 PM
Honolulu
Joined Jul 2003
110 Posts
Hi Reegor

You're welcome on the notes. The Guardian has its own auto turn coordination that you can turn on and off built into the unit, I was referring to that.

Reegor brings up a good point and is correct on the fact if it is programmed in on your transmitter it will cause some correction. In fact you must be careful to check all your mixes if your retrofitting an plane that was already programmed without the Guardian. You could cause some inadvertent effects with stabilization turned on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reegor View Post
Thanks for all your notes.

With similar systems (e.g. FY-20A) you should permanently turn off turn coordination when using gyro stabilizer. The purpose of turn coordination is to compensate for adverse yaw when the plane rolls. But the stabilizer will do that for you. If you have coordination mixes turned on in your TX, then the gyro is told to over-compensate for the yaw.

Frankly I'm not sure I could tell the difference, but I have adjusted my TX so that when I'm in the GYRO-ON flight mode, mixes are turned off.
Aero65 is offline Find More Posts by Aero65
Old Jul 05, 2012, 03:52 PM
Honolulu
Joined Jul 2003
110 Posts
Thanks DavidN

I appreciate the comment, thank you. Great product it has really been fun testing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidN View Post
Aero good description of set up. I see why you get to be a beta tester.
Aero65 is offline Find More Posts by Aero65