HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Boomer1, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 03:54 AM
USA, TX, Copperas Cove
Joined Jul 2010
626 Posts
we have one and used the robart 1/2a landing gear for a spring loaded gear...went well...the only problem we had with ours is the listed CG is not correct and I had to change it
03svtsnakevert is online now Find More Posts by 03svtsnakevert
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2011, 01:47 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03svtsnakevert View Post
we have one and used the robart 1/2a landing gear for a spring loaded gear...went well...the only problem we had with ours is the listed CG is not correct and I had to change it
Like to see a picture of that installation.

Thanks
Boomer
Boomer1 is online now Find More Posts by Boomer1
Old Aug 10, 2011, 03:03 PM
USA, TX, Copperas Cove
Joined Jul 2010
626 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1 View Post
Like to see a picture of that installation.

Thanks
Boomer
I can get ya one tomorrow
Old Aug 10, 2011, 04:37 PM
USA, CO, Northglenn
Joined Sep 2009
62 Posts
Bad ESC

I bought one about 3 weeks ago.... Flew just great, I have 13 planes in my hangar and thought I would try an inexpensive foamie. Wow did it fly great! On my second flight the ESC (that they supplied and installed in the RTF version) overheated and caught fire. Lost radio contact and it burned almost completely. After 6 days of emails and facebook messages, I got this email from Nitroplanes "Sorry but we are unable to warranty a plane that has been flown. Please check with the manufacture for more warranty information". REALLY? It was their Radio, Reciever, Battery, ESC, servos, Etc... All preinstalled. It failed at 1/2 throttle. There were no modifications or customizations. I fly all electric airplanes and did not just fall off the turnip truck. Was a huge fan of Nitroplanes but not anymore.
lesgilmer is offline Find More Posts by lesgilmer
Last edited by lesgilmer; Aug 10, 2011 at 09:38 PM.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 05:32 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,560 Posts
Man I hate when that happens. Very little makes me mad anymore but companies that handle things in that manner get my going.
I changed the ESC that came with it - guess I am glad I did.

Very sorry to hear about this.

Boomer
Boomer1 is online now Find More Posts by Boomer1
Last edited by Boomer1; Aug 17, 2011 at 12:25 AM.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 11:54 AM
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Aug 2010
129 Posts
Ouch on the flaming plane... I have noticed that my ESC seems to get pretty hot as well. Even with mostly 1/2 throttle. I am ordering a new one today. I do love the way the plane Airfield Cessna 182 flies. Waiting for some pic of the noes gear install. I try to bring it in with the nose up a bit but the gear is so stiff I still get some bounce sometimes.
winginman is offline Find More Posts by winginman
Old Aug 13, 2011, 10:08 PM
United States, WI, Holmen
Joined Aug 2003
130 Posts
What glue...

Hi Everyone,

Just received my Sky Trainer on Friday and spent a little time tonight looking over the instructions... Did you planes come with glue (mine did not)? If not, what type did you use to glue the horizontal and vertical stabilizers and misc plastic parts?

Thanks in advance,

B.
BGauweiler is offline Find More Posts by BGauweiler
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 13, 2011, 10:40 PM
USA, TX, Copperas Cove
Joined Jul 2010
626 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGauweiler View Post
Hi Everyone,

Just received my Sky Trainer on Friday and spent a little time tonight looking over the instructions... Did you planes come with glue (mine did not)? If not, what type did you use to glue the horizontal and vertical stabilizers and misc plastic parts?

Thanks in advance,

B.
just some good ol foam safe CA
Old Aug 16, 2011, 08:13 PM
USA, CO, Northglenn
Joined Sep 2009
62 Posts
NP Comes Thru

Sam at NP came thru and has promissed a full refund...send in the remains. Will reorder when refund comes thru. NP is hard to get ahold of but very reasonable once you get to talk to someone.
lesgilmer is offline Find More Posts by lesgilmer
Old Aug 21, 2011, 11:48 AM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Apr 2011
3 Posts
Quote:
Hi Everyone,

Thanks in advance,

B.
Just rec'd mine two days ago. It came with a white tube (no label) of what I presume to be CA glue (hopefully foam safe). Not sure how good it is.
magicman32 is offline Find More Posts by magicman32
Old Aug 21, 2011, 03:50 PM
Joined Aug 2003
130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicman32 View Post
Just rec'd mine two days ago. It came with a white tube (no label) of what I presume to be CA glue (hopefully foam safe). Not sure how good it is.
Magicman,

I found that tube of glue in my kit also (didn't notice it at first). I think it's some type of rubber cement of contact glue. I tried using it to attached the wing strut mounts to the wings and after two days, it still wasn't not dry. I ended up just using medium CA and kicker on everything, worked great.

B.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 21, 2011, 05:39 PM
Joined Apr 2011
3 Posts
Quote:
Magicman,

I found that tube of glue in my kit also (didn't notice it at first). I think it's some type of rubber cement of contact glue. I tried using it to attached the wing strut mounts to the wings and after two days, it still wasn't not dry. I ended up just using medium CA and kicker on everything, worked great.

B.
Thanks B for your input. I have medium Zap CA and kicker...however, should I be using 'foam safe' CA on EPO...or is EPO like Parkzone's Z-Foam where it is best to use a regular CA??

Next up, I think I will take a tip from other flyers and ditch the wheels/tires that come with the RC55 and pickup some Dave Brown Lite Flite wheels. I see that others are using 2 1/2 (nose gear) and 2 3/4 (mains). I am wondering if these fit inside the stock wheel housings??
Old Aug 21, 2011, 05:43 PM
Joined Aug 2003
130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicman32 View Post
Thanks B for your input. I have medium Zap CA and kicker...however, should I be using 'foam safe' CA on EPO...or is EPO like Parkzone's Z-Foam where it is best to use a regular CA??

Next up, I think I will take a tip from other flyers and ditch the wheels/tires that come with the RC55 and pickup some Dave Brown Lite Flite wheels. I see that others are using 2 1/2 (nose gear) and 2 3/4 (mains). I am wondering if these fit inside the stock wheel housings??
I just used regular CA with no problem...

B.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 22, 2011, 02:08 AM
Joined Apr 2011
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03svtsnakevert View Post
03svtsnakevert, Did you use the robart 1/2a landing gear with the stock wheel and plastic housings? I want to upgrade my nose gear/tire and main wheels to DB Lite Flites....but would like to still use the plastic housings if possible. Any tips??
Old Aug 22, 2011, 02:26 PM
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Aug 2010
129 Posts
Got any pictures of the landing gear wheel upgrade. I am using the stock lg and wheels since the wheels are attached to the wheel pants. I have some larger wheels but haven't been able to figure out how to use them. Replacing the nose gear is doable, but what about the mains. I am flying off grass. So far I have been lucky, gotta sit it down on the mains first. Take off no problem. With flaps and the power it pulls right off.
winginman is offline Find More Posts by winginman