SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 03, 2013, 12:29 AM
Gaui X2 & Protos Mini FBL
Helsinki, Finland
Joined Jan 2008
757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus123456 View Post
If you could mount the antenna upside down, I'm sure it would improfe things even further, but other than this - nice video. I'm not sure I could safely land this heli in FPV mode as you did.

Markus
That's true. The antenna looks good at the current location but the swashplate and rotor hub will block the signal when the heli flies directly towards the receiver.

The CNC main rotor hub must go. I will put the stock plastic rotor hub back because it should be more RF transparent and have to check if I could turn the antenna upiside down, too.
Picofly is offline Find More Posts by Picofly
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2013, 04:00 AM
Sven
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Nov 2004
184 Posts
I've been reading through all the messages I found them to be very interesting at times. Particular interesting was the subjects regarding the 3.3V vs 5V Tx where for some reason better results (signal wise) were achieved with the 5V version. Which, in theory, not necessarily makes sense if it is only related to the onboard LDO. I'm definitely planning to deep dive in that matter once I plunge into the FPV deep.

But before that I still need some input regarding the camera's and Rx monitor (I'm not planning to start with goggles right away).

It seems that most of you end up with the 1 or 3 gram camera from fpvhobby in combination with their wide angle lens. Which is the better one and are there alternatives (also source wise)?

Besides the above I see also the frequent use of the 808 16V2 which has the advantage to record at the same time in HD (excluding the need of a recorder at the Rx side) at the cost of more weight.

To provide some background, at the moment I'm flying a HZ Champ and the V959 (WLtoys) but I'm planning to add a Bixler like plane to better deal with the windy condition in the Netherlands and to be able to carry more payload.

Regarding the Rx Monitor there are claims of success with this monitor: http://www.ebay.nl/itm/321000380038?...d=445340694557

Can anyone confirm? Are there alternatives?

Last but not least, what can be used to record the video (not so much applicable for the 808 16V2)?

Any guidance is appreciated.
bensven is offline Find More Posts by bensven
Old Mar 10, 2013, 12:26 PM
Helsinki, Finland
Joined Jan 2008
757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bensven View Post
I've been reading through all the messages I found them to be very interesting at times. Particular interesting was the subjects regarding the 3.3V vs 5V Tx where for some reason better results (signal wise) were achieved with the 5V version. Which, in theory, not necessarily makes sense if it is only related to the onboard LDO. I'm definitely planning to deep dive in that matter once I plunge into the FPV deep.
Bensven,

It only makes a difference if you are planning to build a one lipo setup. ie. feed your video transmitter from the flying battery as I do. Most people here use a separate lipo for the vtx. In that case it doesn't matter.

Today I adjusted my voltage regulator up to 5.5V so that the vtx shoud operate in full 20mW power now. Range of my Blade 130X heli has been really poor. Therefore I re-adjusted transmitter antenna so that it points directly downwards. It is just a matter of time when the thin antenna wire breaks but It helped and today I was able to fly 250 meters away without problems .The Fan antenna points still upwards but I may re-adjust it later.

I use a diversity receiver with a crosshair and a 3-turn helical antenna. One is able to see when the heli flies into crosshair's beam because the picture gets visibly crispier and cleaner. I have ordered three more crosshairs and a 4-way diversity box for further testing. My plan is to use four crosshairs so that they will cover 280 degree flying sector. Let's see howthat works in reality. I have been quite happy with the 2-way diversity so I don't see any reason why 4-way should not work as well but one never knows...

Next week I will test ´Mad Mushroom´ and ´Fan´antennas side by side in 100% identical setups.

Blade 130X goes FPV - Eteläsatama, Helsinki (4 min 2 sec)
Last edited by Picofly; Mar 10, 2013 at 03:32 PM.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 02:21 PM
Sven
Joined Nov 2004
184 Posts
Picofly, may I ask what camera you are using? Did you try others?
Old Mar 10, 2013, 03:30 PM
Helsinki, Finland
Joined Jan 2008
757 Posts
Quote:
Picofly, may I ask what camera you are using? Did you try others?
I have been flying with a 1g PAL camera & 120 degree wide eye lens. The camera I am currently using is damaged (the left side of the picture does not focus properly) but I haven't bothered to change it yet because I have to break the canopy to remove the camera.

I have a 600TVL camre with a 170 degree lens waiting but I haven't tested it yet. The plan was to try it today but my rx battery died just before I was preparing it to use.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 04:07 PM
Sven
Joined Nov 2004
184 Posts
Where did you get the 1g camera and lens (fpvhobby?)?
Any experience with a 808 camera?
What would be your advice?
Old Mar 10, 2013, 06:17 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,380 Posts
You can get the 1g camera from ebay, range video, etc. I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that the 520tvl 1g are all the same. The 120 wide angle lens are from FPV hobby.

I have both the V2 #16 keychain camera and 520tvl with wide lens. I would say the 520tvl camera does better than the live video feed from keychain. The keychain has better sharpness and quality, but the 520tvl does better change lighting conditions, and fills the screen (Unlike the stretched keychain). However the keychain records in HD, that's priceless. So you should get both, 520tvl for flying and the keychain for HD recording.
Cheese5 is offline Find More Posts by Cheese5
Old Mar 11, 2013, 04:49 AM
Helsinki, Finland
Joined Jan 2008
757 Posts
Quote:
Where did you get the 1g camera and lens (fpvhobby?)?
Any experience with a 808 camera?
What would be your advice?
There are many vendors who sell the same 1g camera but as far as I know, only FPV hobby sells a matching wide eye lens for it.

My 600TVL camera sounds very similar to 808#16. So far I have done only preliminary tests but it seems that it doesn't perform well in dim light and doesn't adapt very well to bright sunshine / deep shadows (dynamic range is poor compared to the 1g PAL camera). I have tested a 808#16 D-lens (120 degree wide eye lens) with the 600TVL camera as well but it creates nasty reflections.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 03:49 PM
Sven
Joined Nov 2004
184 Posts
Regarding the ground station, the RC305 Rx appears to be very popular, but what monitor is best (quality/price wise)?
I saw this one: http://www.ebay.nl/itm/321000380038?...d=445340694557
Has anyone experience with this one or better suggestions (like the ones that have a integrated Rx or recorder)?
Old Mar 11, 2013, 04:33 PM
Mark
United Kingdom, England, Moreton-in-Marsh
Joined Oct 2012
435 Posts
Quote:
Regarding the ground station, the RC305 Rx appears to be very popular, but what monitor is best (quality/price wise)?
Has anyone experience with this one or better suggestions (like the ones that have a integrated Rx or recorder)?
Hi Bensven,

I spotted this a while back and built something similar.

http://www.fpvhobby.com/81-lcd-monit...bo-system.html

The screen is quite a useable size and the additional 145g weight if anything makes the tx balance feel better. + it's very cheep

Mark
mlp666 is offline Find More Posts by mlp666
Old Mar 11, 2013, 11:09 PM
Firepower
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese5 View Post
Got another TX and applied from what I've learned from past failures (antenna solder pad coming off 2 boards!). Hot glued everything in, put extra glue in the coax cable area. It weighs 10.6g, 1g more than original (Right on, Markus!)http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=5562093.
Just wondered what exact diode you are using and is it a 3.3v or 5v TX?

I have made a small one with the camera sitting on the video TX but no CL as yet. It is designed so it is easily moved between planes and quads.
Firepower is online now Find More Posts by Firepower
Last edited by Firepower; Mar 12, 2013 at 04:18 AM.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 03:03 AM
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg
Joined Dec 2011
1,783 Posts
Quote:

But before that I still need some input regarding the camera's and Rx monitor (I'm not planning to start with goggles right away).

It seems that most of you end up with the 1 or 3 gram camera from fpvhobby in combination with their wide angle lens. Which is the better one and are there alternatives (also source wise)?

Besides the above I see also the frequent use of the 808 16V2 which has the advantage to record at the same time in HD (excluding the need of a recorder at the Rx side) at the cost of more weight.

To provide some background, at the moment I'm flying a HZ Champ and the V959 (WLtoys) but I'm planning to add a Bixler like plane to better deal with the windy condition in the Netherlands and to be able to carry more payload.

Regarding the Rx Monitor there are claims of success with this monitor: http://www.ebay.nl/itm/321000380038?...d=445340694557

Can anyone confirm? Are there alternatives?

Last but not least, what can be used to record the video (not so much applicable for the 808 16V2)?

Any guidance is appreciated.
Hi Bensven..
I have a similar set up to what you are looking for a v959 with 808#16 v2 doing fov and HD recording...
I have a build log here : http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1809332

For more details on the build, weight reduction etc if u need them.. Specific to the 9x9 series of quads..(didn't want to clutter up this thread)
ArchillesElbow is offline Find More Posts by ArchillesElbow
Old Mar 12, 2013, 04:25 AM
Firepower
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,337 Posts
Quote:
I have that monitor and was dull when I tried it but at that stage the brightness and contrast were at 50%. I have not tried it in the field since I have turned it up but I have seen posts where blokes have said they are great.

I think it would probably be about the best for that price range. LED would be better but much dearer. It does not blue screen which is good. I have just made a shroud for it from dark blue corflu which will help.

There are RC305 Rx & 5.8ghz TXs with different frequencies. Buy the right one or you have to end up like me with four RC305 Rxs. That is, two different frequencies on diversity. Best to get the HK frequency ones as they are the most popular but unfortunately HK do not sell the small videoTXs.
Firepower is online now Find More Posts by Firepower
Last edited by Firepower; Mar 12, 2013 at 04:30 AM.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 05:37 AM
Sven
Joined Nov 2004
184 Posts
ArchillesElbow, I was already following you nice achievements, great job!
I'm about to order all required materials but still tying all bits and pieces of information together. There is plenty of information regarding the Tx (bottom line choice to make 3.3 or 5 Volt) and for the Rx (the RC305 is a good choice).
My focus is now more on the camera (1g, 3g or 808 16V2) and the monitor for the ground station. Especially for the monitor there is little info and confirmations of types that don't have the blue screen issue. So any suggestion is welcomed.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 05:50 AM
Sven
Joined Nov 2004
184 Posts
@ Firepower, regarding the diodes. Bottom line any rectifier diode is okay i.e the 1N400x series (http://www.diodes.com/datasheets/ds28002.pdf). It is all about the voltage drop (Vf) which depends of the current (see Fig 2 of the data sheet). Effectively the Lipo voltage is reduced by about 0.75 volts at 100mA, so the 4.2-3.7 battery voltage would be reduced to 3.5-3 volts at the Tx (behind the diode) which is more or less within the operating range. Therefore a diode is a cheap, simple and light weight solution. The 1N4001 is already okay for this application.