HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 25, 2014, 02:58 AM
New Zealand, Wellington, Wellington City
Joined May 2012
70 Posts
Build Log
Diana 2 at 50% -1/2 scale

Well here we go half scale(I must be mad).
I have shaped up the Fuzz ready to cover.Here's the pic's.
WOO WHO is offline Find More Posts by WOO WHO
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2014, 03:07 AM
Joined May 2012
70 Posts
And some more.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 04:42 AM
Thermal Wrangler
Launceston Tasmania
Joined Mar 2004
2,142 Posts
Smile and think of the Reynolds numbers at 200kmh
DrFragnasty is online now Find More Posts by DrFragnasty
Old Sep 25, 2014, 05:51 AM
Joined Nov 2008
192 Posts
Are you going to make the fuz in one piece? I made my scratch built 40% ASG29 fuz in 2 pieces and I'm very glad I did as I don't have a trailer!

Great project, watching with interest (and yes, you are mad, just like me!)

Regards

Simon
swarrans is online now Find More Posts by swarrans
Old Sep 25, 2014, 01:23 PM
Vintage wood is the best!
In a house
Joined Sep 2002
2,846 Posts
Very nice.....at 7.5 meters it will be very impressive.......not to big nor to small.....just right!
SZD16 is online now Find More Posts by SZD16
Old Sep 25, 2014, 06:21 PM
Blenheim, NZ
Joined Dec 2007
1,197 Posts
Go Woo

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOO WHO View Post
Well here we go half scale(I must be mad).I have shaped up the Fuzz ready to cover.Here's the pic's.
Yes, you are mad Woo but that's what we like about you. That and heaps of talent. I'll be watching this one with interest. Go for it.

Allan
AllanK1 is offline Find More Posts by AllanK1
Old Sep 26, 2014, 04:03 AM
Joined May 2012
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swarrans View Post
Are you going to make the fuz in one piece? I made my scratch built 40% ASG29 fuz in 2 pieces and I'm very glad I did as I don't have a trailer!

Great project, watching with interest (and yes, you are mad, just like me!)

Regards

Simon
Hi Simon,watched your build with great interest,love the way you split the fuz,but I think I will make it one piece.

Allan,what wing section do you think.I was thinking of an S8055 at 12%(it just looks right)ah ah!
Old Sep 26, 2014, 12:04 PM
USA, CT, Newington
Joined Sep 2002
262 Posts
WOW!!! Can't wait to see this one fly. Subscribed.

Jim
Christen Eagle 1 is online now Find More Posts by Christen Eagle 1
Old Sep 28, 2014, 01:05 AM
New Zealand, Auckland, Pukekohe
Joined Apr 2011
252 Posts
Nice project Woo. I will be following this with interest.
Will we see you at Tauranga in November
awkward is offline Find More Posts by awkward
Old Sep 28, 2014, 05:24 PM
Blenheim, NZ
Joined Dec 2007
1,197 Posts
Section?

Quote:
Hi Simon,watched your build with great interest,love the way you split the fuz,but I think I will make it one piece.

Allan,what wing section do you think.I was thinking of an S8055 at 12%(it just looks right)ah ah!
Where do you want to bias the performance Woo? Will you want something to tear up the sky on the slope or will it be more about themalling and low sink rate?

Allan
Old Sep 28, 2014, 11:30 PM
Joined May 2012
70 Posts
Hi Allan,like the full size I am thinking of something fast so it can go from thermal to thermal,but I must have a section that is not to thin at the root ,so it can accommodate the wing joiner.
I guess I need both(the age old problem).
It is a big glider with a slim wing,the Diana 1 has a wing root of 670mm witch means 335mm
only slightly bigger than the 1/3 scale JS1.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 08:07 AM
Joined Nov 2008
192 Posts
For what it is worth Woo, I went for an HQ1015 at the root slimming to 11% at the tip progressively. I think in retrospect I perhaps should have chosen something with a bit more camber than 1% but it certainly is fast (might also have something to do with the 23 Kg weight!).
The other regret I have is that the main reason I went for such a fat thickness at the root was an attempt to provide the dihedral using a straight joiner - I still didn't get the 3% each side I wanted and I should have just done it with a bent joiner I think.

Still these could be built into the next one - except there will never be a next one because building it me me off composites for life!

I really like watching other people do it though!!

Simon
swarrans is online now Find More Posts by swarrans
Old Sep 29, 2014, 04:11 PM
Blenheim, NZ
Joined Dec 2007
1,197 Posts
Sections

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanK1 View Post
Where do you want to bias the performance Woo? Will you want something to tear up the sky on the slope or will it be more about themalling and low sink rate?

Allan
OK so you need to look at sections that don't get draggy at Cl = 0. That means no more than 2.5% camber in my experience. You S8055 is 2% camber so is a fast section but it will give up some float. If it were me I'd open up Profili and thicken one of Mark Drela's sections to what I needed and recamber to about 2.25 %. You will find his AG24 is about 2.25 so I would just fatten it up while maintaning the camber. Use your 12% at the root but thin it to say 9 - 9.5% at the tip. Marks sections us Xfoil for design so are better on our skinny chords then the older sections like s8055. Profili will do the drag polars for you so you can see the theoretical improvement. Look at about RE =150000
I'm sure your S8055 will fly fine too and be fast. It could just be a bit better.

Allan

Allan
Old Sep 29, 2014, 04:17 PM
Blenheim, NZ
Joined Dec 2007
1,197 Posts
Quote:
Hi Allan,like the full size I am thinking of something fast so it can go from thermal to thermal,but I must have a section that is not to thin at the root ,so it can accommodate the wing joiner.
I guess I need both(the age old problem).
It is a big glider with a slim wing,the Diana 1 has a wing root of 670mm witch means 335mm
only slightly bigger than the 1/3 scale JS1.
Something came up at the weekend too. A bit more than scale dihedral helps tip clearance on take off and landing helping with ground loops. A touch more means better hands off stability when you are way up too. You will have found your JS1s good in this area too with their turned up tips. The Diana looks pretty flat. I'd give it a bit more I think.
Do you want to do a carbon wing like the SHK. I could design that for you if you like?

Allan
Old Sep 29, 2014, 10:15 PM
Joined May 2012
70 Posts
Thanks Allan,I will look at 12%or maybe 13% AG 24 for the root down to 9% or 10% at the tip,I was going to give it more dihedral for looks and thermalling,so great minds.

I have a carbon windsurf marst it is 1m 45cm long x 4cm,I will cut the ends on a 3 maybe 4 degree angle down to the wing root,then take the cut off piece and glue it to the top of the wing joiner and rap it with carbon.this cut area will be inside the wing with the tube coming out the wing at an angle,it will go into a tube in the fuzz,and also have a tube inside of it.
I think that will be ok,but thank's for the offer.

Woo
Last edited by WOO WHO; Sep 30, 2014 at 02:44 AM.