HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 09, 2014, 07:54 PM
Hutch
United States, Mt, Bozeman
Joined Jan 2012
326 Posts
Help!
Webra speed 61

Got a webra 61 from a fellow club member with tuned pipe.... Any ideas of rpm and prop size?
hutchinstuff is offline Find More Posts by hutchinstuff
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2014, 08:51 PM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Mar 2008
1,976 Posts
11x7 wood. About 13.5-14K piped.

David
doxilia is offline Find More Posts by doxilia
Old Feb 10, 2014, 01:04 AM
Hutch
United States, Mt, Bozeman
Joined Jan 2012
326 Posts
Thanks David.... Stronger than my 61fx on a pipe?
hutchinstuff is offline Find More Posts by hutchinstuff
Old Feb 11, 2014, 01:19 AM
Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2010
1,404 Posts
No, shorter stroke, turns higher rpm for the same BMEP.
Chris...
stuntflyr is offline Find More Posts by stuntflyr
Old May 28, 2014, 10:25 PM
Canada, BC, Castlegar
Joined May 2014
243 Posts
Hutchinstuff:

I had a Webra 61 Long Stroke with the TN (slide carb) on it . Running 10 % Nitro , I used to twist an APC 12 x 12 prop at around 11K RPM . Had this running with a Graupner tuned pipe which had to be shortened by 3/8 " to hit the resonant length . All of this mounted in an Ultimate Kaos . The only airplane I ever had that broke 130MPH .

Actually , I still have the Webra and the pipe for sale .

RickC_RCAV8R
RickC_RCAV8R is offline Find More Posts by RickC_RCAV8R
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RIX V22 Osprey : Update
Old May 28, 2014, 11:08 PM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Mar 2008
1,976 Posts
Rick,

Webra's TN (twin needle) carbs were all rotary drum carbs. The slide carb is called the Dynamix and had a pretty large unobstructed intake bore. Hence the power of your long stroke.

David
Old May 28, 2014, 11:38 PM
SoCal
Joined Feb 2004
418 Posts
Post a picture of what Webre .61 Speed you have. They made a lot of different ones. I flew Speed's in the 1983 World's and they made a ton of power. The ABC's were a lot better then the ringed. Mine would turn a 10x7 three blade at right around 15K.
TonyF is offline Find More Posts by TonyF
Old May 30, 2014, 02:46 PM
United States, VA, Suffolk
Joined Nov 2007
1,094 Posts
What were the different Speed 61 models? I have two, one has a polished type finish with a HUGE two needle carb that has inflight mixture. It also has a cast boss in the back plate that is tapped for a pressure fitting for a pump.
The other engine has a natural cast finish and a normal sized TNII carb.
Both of them are ringed, and the cast finshed one turned high 13s on an untuned pipe with an 11x7 Rev-Up prop. The bearings were shot, so I didn't tune the pipe. I ordered new bearings yesterday and will put this engine on my Dirty Birdy ARF.
jhaywood is offline Find More Posts by jhaywood
Old May 30, 2014, 03:51 PM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Mar 2008
1,976 Posts
Jeff,

Tony may be able to clarify or correct me but if memory serves, Webra made long and short Speeds. They also made front and rear intake. All Speeds were SE while Racings were RE. The early speeds were polished and had a uniform tapering crankcase front without an extrusion for the front bearing. Later models were not polished and had the front bearing extrusion. The base of the inside of the crankcase cylinder was also uniform and smooth in the early versions while the later ones had a machined slot to capture the conrod on passing through BDC.

Many early cases also had no bolt means to retain a muffler or header and these were retained with wrap around straps. Later, Webra started to machine holes into the exhaust flange. Even later, they made cases with bolt through holes for the exhausts but these were single piece cases with no bolt on fronts.

As far as carbs for aero engines they made the TNI followed by the Dynamix which mostly had in flight adjustable needles. The smaller TNII carb came a fair bit later. They also made two heli carbs called the Promix and Promix II.

I have never seen a single part case in Speed 61's but I've seen 80's, 90,s and 120's. Also the smaller 50, 40, 36, 35, 32, 28 and 25 speeds came in single piece cases. There were even Speedy's in 1.5 and 2.0 cc in both SE and RE!

All now classic discontinued engines from a manufacturer who unfortunately is no longer...

David
Last edited by doxilia; May 30, 2014 at 04:41 PM.
Old May 30, 2014, 04:26 PM
Joined Nov 2007
1,094 Posts
MECOA has acquired the rights to Webra. Who knows what that means in the long run.
Old May 30, 2014, 04:38 PM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Mar 2008
1,976 Posts
Mmm... Interesting. I just ordered some parts from them.

I'm surprised but glad that they are still around. It seems line they purchased rights to many European manufacturers over the years.

Webra engines made in the US!? ;-)

David
Old May 31, 2014, 09:44 AM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Jul 2009
362 Posts
Had a Speed 61 once that would turn a 12x6 at obscene RPM, used a Dynamix and stock muffler. This engine screamed like no other non piped engine I ever ran. It was so fast it ended up in 18 different pieces upon meeting the runway at high speed, ailerons got reversed, somehow.

Anyhow, I went through 3 other Speed 61s looking for one that would run like the first. None of the others came close. The only thing I can think of is the first engine may have been an ABC while the replacements were all ringed. I never really looked at the piston, just assumed all Speed 61s were the same.

I sure would like to find another one of those screaming banshee 61s, made that old Sig King Kobra flat out get where it was going in a hurry.

Rick
shootnstarz is offline Find More Posts by shootnstarz
Old Jun 02, 2014, 09:25 AM
Joined Nov 2007
1,094 Posts
I flew my speed 61 yesterday. With the Stock muffler, 10% nitro, OS 8 plug, and the TNII carb, it turned exactly 12K on an APC 11x7. I think I am down a tad on compression since my old HB 61 PDP would turn the same prop at 12,600 on 10%. It flew my DB fine, but it needs a bit more for long verticals. My Dads DB ARF is faster with the same prop on an OS 61FX, but his is heavier due to the tail weight he had to add.