HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 14, 2013, 08:21 PM
Team Compass/KBDD Team Pilot
Joined Mar 2005
3,375 Posts
Discussion
Gilbert Thunderhead .11

Anyone have any experience with these? I had one years ago (another thing I cannot find). I purchased an N.O.S. one from Ebay.

I put it on the bench today, and it fired on the first flip, then stalled after a few seconds. Same thing on the second flip, except it ran backwards. It went downhill from there, for a while.

I had flooded it. After clearing it, it started right up. I ran it for 8-10 minutes total (two runs, with a cool down period in between). The second time, it started in a couple of flips.

Anyone running these? Any good suggestions for a CL airplane for this engine? Also, any good propeller size suggestions (I have the stock one that came with it, but it is unmmarked-no size printed on it or molded into it).

Thank you all in advance.
Ah Clem is offline Find More Posts by Ah Clem
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2013, 01:07 AM
Joined Aug 2009
217 Posts
I would not run the original prop as nylon goes bad with time. A 6-4 or a 7-3 are good sizes for it. These engines required a break-in period - 2 to 3 tanks full. Any beam mount .09 size plane is a good match up.
BLACK HAWK MOD is offline Find More Posts by BLACK HAWK MOD
Old Jan 15, 2013, 07:30 AM
Old Timer
USA, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jun 2010
876 Posts
Wasn't an impressive part back in its day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ah Clem View Post
Anyone have any experience with these? I had one years ago (another thing I cannot find). I purchased an N.O.S. one from Ebay.

Anyone running these? Any good suggestions for a CL airplane for this engine? Also, any good propeller size suggestions (I have the stock one that came with it, but it is unmmarked-no size printed on it or molded into it).
The type of intake it used (sideport) was equivalent to a reed intake, not to a rotary intake. Most .09's were shaft rotary and half again more powerful. It actually was in between an ordinary .049 and an old style (really old, think Arden) cross flow .09 in power output, IMO, so a design that was "toward the large end" in size for an .049 was good, as would be another design "on the low end of the range" of size for an .09.

Engines in the .07 to .12 range were always more popular across the ocean, in Britain, Holland, Belgium, etc. There were beaucoup designs in Aeromodeller Magazine for those.

Kiwi
The Kiwi is online now Find More Posts by The Kiwi
Last edited by The Kiwi; Jan 18, 2013 at 08:25 AM.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:46 AM
Vintage Aircraft Lover
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Jan 2013
628 Posts
I've got one of those, purchased it from Tower Hobbies some time ago on a special sale. I bench ran it, seems to turn a 7x4 reasonably with authority. I'll know more when I use it on a plane. One user bench ran it and obtained around 12.5k RPM with a 7x4, which puts it in the region IMHO of the Enya .09's. Further edit: Per my Enya instructions, the RPM range for the .09-III CL is 8000-16000 RPM, 0.20 HP, Recommend Props CL 7-8x6-4, FF 7-8x4-3. Thus, IMHO, HP output for the Gilbert .11 would be a little less.

Based on comments, I gather that it is a decent engine power wise when compared with its sibling, the .074 Thunderhead, whose power is about that of an .049 engine. I wouldn't put it on a Ringmaster Jr., but might work on a Brodak 27" (700 mm) wingspan P-40 Warhawk. I have a 26" poster foamboard Ringmaster in planning stages for the engine.

I've heard but yet to be substantiated, the Gilberts are most happy when used upright. As a sidewinder, one poster on 049Collectors Yahoo Group warned me that I may have fuel feed problems.

At any rate, what I state is academic at this point. I'll have more to share when I have actual flight experience with the engine.
GallopingGhostlr is offline Find More Posts by GallopingGhostlr
Last edited by GallopingGhostlr; Jan 15, 2013 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Further introspection based on Enya .09 data.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 01:05 PM
Joined Mar 2005
3,375 Posts
Thank you all!

You guys are a wealth of information!
Old Jan 15, 2013, 03:17 PM
Vintage Aircraft Lover
Joined Jan 2013
628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GallopingGhostlr View Post
Further edit: Per my Enya instructions, the RPM range for the .09-III CL is 8000-16000 RPM, 0.20 HP, Recommend Props CL 7-8x6-4, FF 7-8x4-3. Thus, IMHO, HP output for the Gilbert .11 would be a little less.
I just wanted to add that I believe the Enya prop range is to be interpreted as:

CL 7-8x6-4 = 7x6 to 8x4.
FF 7-8x4-3 = 7x4 to 8x3.

You can go down in pitch but those are the maximum pitches recommended for the particular diameter prop.

The Gilbert OEM prop was 7x3. I ran it on a Master Airscrew 7x4. As usual, YMMV but I'm thinking that either size would be fine. Haven't tried it on a 6x5 prop yet.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 02:10 AM
Joined Mar 2005
3,375 Posts
Well,

I picked up a Baby Flite Streak (23" wingspan), so hopefully that will be a good airframe for the Gilbert motor.

I will post the results when I get it set up and flying.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 01:40 PM
Vintage Aircraft Lover
Joined Jan 2013
628 Posts
Similarly, I've got a reduced Ringmaster Jr. at 26.5" span targeted for the Gilbert .11 engine. Bought several sheets of 3/16" thick x 20" x 30" poster foamboard for it from the Dollar Tree store for a buck a pop. Should be quicker to produce results.