HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 23, 2013, 01:08 PM
More jets than a carburetor
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Sep 2008
2,824 Posts
the weight of the empty su35 airframe only, is 7 lbs. in comparison, my fy fly mig-29 which is roughly the same size, ready to fly with two 6s 5000 30c lipos is 9.5 lbs.

I estimate my su-35 will weigh about 14-15 lbs RTF with a twin 8s setup.

I havent started on mine yet due to building a JL viper jet. I hope to build before summer.
skydve76 is offline Find More Posts by skydve76
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2013, 11:19 PM
I Fly Real Jets Too!
Warner Robins GA
Joined Mar 2008
34 Posts
I'm in the same boat as the OP, I want a turbine, but I want a scale jet. I was thinking an F-86 from BVM or Skymaster (unless there is a better one out there?) I have flown 70mm and 90mm EDF Sabres, and also own a Habu32 with a TJ80 (faaaaast). I consider myself to be a reasonably decent pilot. What are the thoughts on the F-86 as a first turbine? I can spend up to $8000, but would rather keep it in the $5000 range if possible.
Napoleon_Taner is offline Find More Posts by Napoleon_Taner
Old Feb 07, 2013, 08:10 AM
Pittsburgh Allegheny, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined May 2004
1,190 Posts
with a $5k to $8k budget... you can build what you want.

BUT.....

Just like the advice to the OP... get a trainer to get your waiver on, and then your high $$$ F-86. Read though my other posts, and you will know why.

Regardless of pilot skill... the new turbine flier will have their hands full with just learning throttle management, and how to run the engine.

Find a used boomerang, Shockjet, JetMach, Falcon, Tornado... etc... and fly it, and get your waiver. Then... you can sell it for the same $$$ that you bought it for.
Dr Honda is offline Find More Posts by Dr Honda
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:47 AM
Swoyersville, Pa. 18704
Joined Jan 2010
15 Posts
Looking t oget satarted in turbines, Warbirds....

TTRotary,

You have been given a lot of good choices as airframes and turbines are concerned. I think since you are a Warbird flyer already, like you said, then you already have experince with heavy wing loadings. What you need to do is this, take youe heavy warbird and do a few abort landings. When you go to throttle up, apply the throttle very slowly and see how the plane reacts. This is what is going to happen with a turbine jet. The only thing you won't have with a jet is the torque you get with a prop plane.

As for a scale warbird jet, I think the PST Panther is one of the easiest jet warbirds to fly. I have a Ziroli Panther and it is flown with a Jet Cat P-80. It's not really heavy, 23 lbs dry. I fave been flying turbines fot 11 years. Started off with a Kangaroo, went to a Formost 150. I then went ot a Aeromacchi MB-339 then the Ziroli Panther. Right now I'm building a FJ-1 Fury Navy Jet. As you can see, I like to fly straight wing jets. They take off a little slower than a Delta or swept back wing and they land a little slower.

I think the field you are flying on would not be a problem with either the PST Panther or a small MB-339. Just my 02 cents input. You have been given a lot of information here, you have to make the call. Good luck....

Larry
Gost Rider is offline Find More Posts by Gost Rider
Old Feb 15, 2013, 03:59 AM
United States, CA, Beale AFB
Joined Sep 2004
121 Posts
So...what did you get?

So, we're going to be interested in what you get...

Sounds like EDF is right up your alley, so you'll probably end up with a sweet EDF set up regardless of your turbine experience (since you have all the support equip).

MB-339 has my vote...scale, military and way cooler than a Shock Jet or Reaction, with a similar wing style. Landing gear look really friendly for ground handling.

Second pick is the Tutor if scale is a must.

Take pics, keep us up to date.

BTW, I'm flying the 2.5M Futura this Spring as my first turbine...sport aerobatic is my preference.
FlyinTiger is offline Find More Posts by FlyinTiger
Last edited by FlyinTiger; Feb 15, 2013 at 04:01 AM. Reason: pic