HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 30, 2012, 09:03 AM
Brussels
Joined Jan 2011
165 Posts
Discussion
DSM2 and PPM

I have a Spektrum DX5.
Is there any way to plug a PPM signal in the trainer port from any other tx to control a DSM2 rx ?
I mean, is there a way to use the DX5 as a DSM2 relay for a non DSM2 tx ?
Thanks.
Camboui is offline Find More Posts by Camboui
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 30, 2012, 10:20 AM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,949 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camboui View Post
I have a Spektrum DX5.
Is there any way to plug a PPM signal in the trainer port from any other tx to control a DSM2 rx ?
I mean, is there a way to use the DX5 as a DSM2 relay for a non DSM2 tx ?
Thanks.
Let's rephrase the question. Can the DX5e transmitter be linked to another transmitter in a buddy box or trainer arrangement? The DX5e would serve as the master transmitter.

Answer: YES, probably. But you'll have to be specific about the type of the second transmitter. With Spektrum or JR, it's easy. You just need a Spektrum trainer cable.

With other transmitters, you will need a special cable. Tell us the details.

By the way, this has nothing to do with DSM2. The other transmitter could be an old AM or FM.
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Apr 30, 2012, 10:21 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,218 Posts
Yes, just use the DX5e as a master trainer.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 30, 2012, 10:50 AM
Brussels
Joined Jan 2011
165 Posts
Okay, you see what I'd like to do

A Futaba tx would be the slave and the DX5 the master. Actually the master DX5 sticks should never take ownership, only its DSM2 protocol sent to the air is needed.
If this works it would be a way to replace those Spektrum DM8 modules not any more made.

So, you think a simple mono-jack 3.5mm cable joining both trainer ports would work ?
Last edited by Camboui; Apr 30, 2012 at 12:11 PM.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 12:48 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,766 Posts
Not simply with a Futaba Tx....the trainer port isn't a 3.5mm socket and the channel ordering is different e.g. Throttle is Ch1 Spektrum and Ch3 Futaba.

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old May 01, 2012, 02:37 AM
Brussels
Joined Jan 2011
165 Posts
Ah yes indeed, Futaba trainer port isn't 3.5mm, a cord has to be made. Ch order isn't important as master tx wouldn't be used.
Other than that, you think it should work, without electrical or PPM signal issues ?
Thanks.
Old May 01, 2012, 03:39 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,766 Posts
The PPM signals are basically identical so the only other potential problem I can think of it that Futaba signals are about 9V, ground referenced whereas Spektrum signals are about 3V and floating....but the overvoltage shouldn't hurt and a simple capacitor in the signal lead should take care of the ground referencing.

But I haven't actually tried it, I'm just going on what was needed in Futaba to JR trainer conversion circuits, so you will need to experiment....carefully.

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old May 02, 2012, 07:27 AM
Brussels
Joined Jan 2011
165 Posts
Thanks a lot slipstick.
I did a name mixup, sorry. I own a HP6DSM, not a DX5 (mind getting old yet ?)
The trainer connector is not the same but removing 2 cables from inside the HP6DSM seems to make it act as a Specktrum/JR trainer. Still need to do and test.

Aside, I could check a buddy box with a DX6i as master and Turnigy9X as slave. It works as is (without the 9X resistor fix, module removed).

Thanks for the Futaba voltage warning. Any source to look at for the Futaba to JR conversion circuits ? That could help a lot.
Old May 02, 2012, 09:04 AM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Apr 2004
1,164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camboui View Post
Okay, you see what I'd like to do

A Futaba tx would be the slave and the DX5 the master. Actually the master DX5 sticks should never take ownership, only its DSM2 protocol sent to the air is needed.
If this works it would be a way to replace those Spektrum DM8 modules not any more made.

So, you think a simple mono-jack 3.5mm cable joining both trainer ports would work ?
Horizon does have a Futaba to JR Trainer Cord. I have seen a Futaba transmitter used as a Buddy Box for a DX7.
Buschbarber is offline Find More Posts by Buschbarber