SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Yesterday, 11:48 PM
Vancouver, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnecJP View Post
Another update:

I tried my original class 10, 16 GB card again and this time it worked and I know why....

I'm not used to using these mini SD cards in cameras. Usually I use them as storage for my old phones and actually I haven't used one in a few years.

Whenever I uploaded a video to my computer I had just automatically deleted everything on the card after the upload was complete. And by deleted I mean manually by physically moving the files into the trash. And after I did that the card wouldn't work anymore.

Then I read the user manual for the Mobius camera a little bit more closely and I read about the formatting procedure.

I tried formatting that same card using the camera instead of removing everything manually and it worked.
Now my card works perfectly and I've had no problems ever since.....
Not surprised. Like I said...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Race Miata View Post
Also try reformat the card if you haven't. Some marginal cards running marginal timing may fail when the card is filled with files up to certain point with certain level of fragmentation.
Removing files is different than reformatting the card in that the former method may still leave file fragmentation in the card. This is exactly why when I take pics with my DSLR, I resist the urge to delete any pic right away even if the pic is so bad that I know I'll definitely not keep the pic because once I delete it, file fragmentation occurs and continuous shots (7fps) may not be able to keep up if I do bursts of say 10 shots at a time in rapid succession. I'll wait until I backup my pics from the card before I reformat it for next use. This is not even about a marginal card. My DSLR at continuous shot mode will write data to card faster than it taking video so file system has to be in top condition to take 100 of pics at a time within seconds.
Race Miata is online now Find More Posts by Race Miata
to remove ads between posts
Old Today, 01:01 AM
Joined Mar 2015
86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Race Miata View Post
Not surprised. Like I said...

Removing files is different than reformatting the card in that the former method may still leave file fragmentation in the card. This is exactly why when I take pics with my DSLR, I resist the urge to delete any pic right away even if the pic is so bad that I know I'll definitely not keep the pic because once I delete it, file fragmentation occurs and continuous shots (7fps) may not be able to keep up if I do bursts of say 10 shots at a time in rapid succession. I'll wait until I backup my pics from the card before I reformat it for next use. This is not even about a marginal card. My DSLR at continuous shot mode will write data to card faster than it taking video so file system has to be in top condition to take 100 of pics at a time within seconds.
I guess I live and learn. I love technology but I don't really know whole lot about it sometimes.
I always thought formatting was the same as deleting.... Haha
ShawnecJP is online now Find More Posts by ShawnecJP
Old Today, 01:19 AM
Joined Feb 2011
324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnecJP View Post
I guess I live and learn. I love technology but I don't really know whole lot about it sometimes.
I always thought formatting was the same as deleting.... Haha
Deleting files just marks the blocks as available for reuse in the File Allocation Table (FAT), and since new files will allocate a block at a time, the blocks may end up being scattered around on the disk or card, which means they are slower to access sequentially. Formatting resets the FAT to "all blocks available" so new file allocations will take sequential blocks.
RogerDH is online now Find More Posts by RogerDH
Old Today, 01:22 AM
Joined Mar 2015
86 Posts
Thanks for that information Roger!!
I wonder if this is a common mistake with Mobius users.... (or just limited to me)

If in fact it is a common mistake , I wonder how many issues on this thread could be solved just by formatting properly....
ShawnecJP is online now Find More Posts by ShawnecJP