Old Jan 22, 2006, 06:27 PM
r46
huggin dat apex!
United Kingdom, London
Joined May 2005
258 Posts
Discussion
Front fork action or lack off!!

Ok been running bike on different surfaces (car lots an track) an bike seems to have no forgiveness/rebound from which it tankslappers an cartwheels etc..I still have to do second linkage on steering(unable to find thread on it! ).. ok what i'm wondering can forks be worked slightly to have an smoother action then currently is ? have tools close by itchin to tweek ..

any thoughts,same dilemas, tips greatly welcomed!!

thanks
r46 is offline Find More Posts by r46
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2006, 07:42 PM
Joined Jan 2005
2,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kagayama
Ok been running bike on different surfaces (car lots an track) an bike seems to have no forgiveness/rebound from which it tankslappers an cartwheels etc..I still have to do second linkage on steering(unable to find thread on it! ).. ok what i'm wondering can forks be worked slightly to have an smoother action then currently is ? have tools close by itchin to tweek ..

thanks
For the tank slap action.Most guys use a steering dampner.(some sort of oiled filled shock)As far as forks go with the cnr uds's.Unles you really feel like tinkering.
swheels is offline Find More Posts by swheels
Old Jan 23, 2006, 03:57 AM
No Shelf Queens.No Bling
Newark.Nottinghamshire.UK
Joined Jan 2005
2,961 Posts
I you use a set of triples that clamp the fork legs top and bottom and find that this stops the fork leg twisting problem which seems to be the main cause of legs binding.

If you've been running on a wet surface the legs tend to collect water,they'll collect grit anyway unless you can use some sort of fork gaiter.

I also use a stop screwed into the top of the steering arm between the triples to limit the amount the forks can swing left and right,a lot of people have used thick silicone tube on the legs between the triples for the same effect.This limits the swing in a head shake situation.

All that steering throw is not needed to drive the bike.

TT do an upgrade all in one steering and damper in aluminium,really good value,they're on Gregors site at 4.5 euros. Fitted one to my sons bike and filled it with 40 weight oil,he seems to like it. If you get one beware the tiny "E" clips,they are a pig to get on and easily do the "ping" and disappear>

Allan
Allan Waterfall is offline Find More Posts by Allan Waterfall
Last edited by Allan Waterfall; Jan 23, 2006 at 04:05 AM.
Old Jan 23, 2006, 05:07 AM
Nottingham UK
Joined Apr 2005
158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kagayama

thanks

It is possible to get the stock forks working smoothly, but they need careful assembly to prevent binding. Firstly check that fork legs aren't bent, ideally you'll need a lathe/mill to clock legs up true, or lay on flat surface like sheet of glass.

On my TT Duc, the alloy caps that screw onto lower stanchions were dragging on fork legs, so I drilled these out to 8.5mm.

If using the stock plastic upper & lower fork clamps consider changing to alloy ones as they locate legs more accurately.

Consider cutting 1 or 2 coils off springs to increase static sag.

A few drops of silicone oil on the plastic bushings helps to smooth things out.

When tightening wheel axle screws, compress suspension completely, this helps to keep upper & lower legs aligned. Drill & tap lower legs and fit grub screws to lock axle screws in position.

If forks still bind, try slackening off one of axle screw, if this frees off the forks then you might need to fit thin shim washer between axle and lower leg.

A bit of patience & perserverance can work wonders
Thommo is offline Find More Posts by Thommo
Old Jan 23, 2006, 02:42 PM
r46
huggin dat apex!
United Kingdom, London
Joined May 2005
258 Posts
Thanks guys, I have an TT damper on order from last week hopefully arrive anyday now..from bike cartwheeling the top yokes got scraffed up so intending to replace with alloy ones(An run with fairing on!lol) where abouts u guys run? i'm in london but willing to travel for a biking meet
Old Jan 23, 2006, 02:50 PM
No Shelf Queens.No Bling
Newark.Nottinghamshire.UK
Joined Jan 2005
2,961 Posts
We race here once a month on Multi Class days.Just a few minutes from the M1/A38 junction 28.

http://www.tibshelf-rc.co.uk/

Regular races at Barham and Brookland down south

http://www.jamgfly.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/bike_racing.htm

Also regular racing at Skipton

http://www.skiptonclub.net/index.htm

You'll be made welcome wherever you visit.

Allan
Allan Waterfall is offline Find More Posts by Allan Waterfall
Old Jan 23, 2006, 05:17 PM
r46
huggin dat apex!
United Kingdom, London
Joined May 2005
258 Posts
cheers I'll be visiting when warmer days!! lol..