Old Jul 21, 2014, 10:52 PM
Team Fearless
United States, MD, Piney Point
Joined Mar 2005
1,424 Posts
Question
Looking for an old simple stick glider plan

Hello all,
My 9 year old son want's to learn to build model airplanes and I downloaded a few of the "Kid Friendly" simple stick glider plans but there is one design in particular that I am looking for that I used to help some kids build for a model airplane class at the local Elementary school back in late 80's but I cannot remember the name of it. What I remember is that the plans came in an old copy of (I think) Model Aviation and the wing had a cool almost bat like look that had sort of a /'\/'\/'\ type shape to the wing that IIRC was glued to a simple stick fuse and it had a simple square tail section and the surfaces were covered with tissue only on one side.
So if anything rings a bell or if anyone here remembers a design like that or knows the name of the glider and where I can find a set of plans, Please let me know.

Thanks In Advance,
Shawn
~SnApRoLl is offline Find More Posts by ~SnApRoLl
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 21, 2014, 11:16 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,204 Posts
I don't have a clue as to the plane you're after. But I will suggest that if it has a stick built and tissue covered wing that it may not be that suitable as a first model for a 9 year old. At least not without a lot of adult help to the point that the question is "who actually built it?".

I'm also thinking that if the wing was built up and tissue covered that it's more likely that it was a rubber powered model.

What about making up some simple all sheet model gliders to start? It can be something as simple as 1/16 flat sheet for the wings with 1/32 sheet for tail surfaces. The first one can use a simple stick to keep things simple. Then graduate on and up to making profile scale models of jets, private planes and even airliners if you like. 1/16 works for wing spans from 10 inches for short span stubby wing jets up to around 18 inch span for longer and skinnier wings. 1/8 sheet or maybe 3/16 sheet will do nicely for the profile fuselages and some nice stiff 1/32 sheet will aid in controlling the weight at the tail of the model so less nose weight is needed.
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Jul 22, 2014, 08:38 AM
I'd rather be flying.....
United States, IA, Story City
Joined Oct 2013
341 Posts
Ama cub ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~SnApRoLl View Post
Hello all,
My 9 year old son want's to learn to build model airplanes and I downloaded a few of the "Kid Friendly" simple stick glider plans but there is one design in particular that I am looking for that I used to help some kids build for a model airplane class at the local Elementary school back in late 80's but I cannot remember the name of it. What I remember is that the plans came in an old copy of (I think) Model Aviation and the wing had a cool almost bat like look that had sort of a /'\/'\/'\ type shape to the wing that IIRC was glued to a simple stick fuse and it had a simple square tail section and the surfaces were covered with tissue only on one side.
So if anything rings a bell or if anyone here remembers a design like that or knows the name of the glider and where I can find a set of plans, Please let me know.

Thanks In Advance,
Shawn
Shawn this could be the AMA CUB or AMA Racer - SIG or MIDWEST has these simple rubber powered models listed - they sound like your description... On reading your post further I doubt my suggestions are the one but they may work out too.

Best Regards,

Jeff
JeffMac is offline Find More Posts by JeffMac
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JeffMac; Jul 22, 2014 at 11:05 AM.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 01:38 PM
United States, CA, Gardena
Joined Oct 2004
1,040 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffMac View Post
Shawn this could be the AMA CUB or AMA Racer - SIG or MIDWEST has these simple rubber powered models listed - they sound like your description... On reading your post further I doubt my suggestions are the one but they may work out too.

Best Regards,

Jeff
Here's a link. http://www.modelaircraft.org/shopama...CE8A114932E126

Norm
Norm Furutani is offline Find More Posts by Norm Furutani
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 22, 2014, 05:09 PM
Team Fearless
Joined Mar 2005
1,424 Posts
Hello all, thanks for the replies. Unfortunately the models from the AMA link doesn't show the one I'm looking for.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 05:16 PM
Team Fearless
Joined Mar 2005
1,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMatthews View Post
I don't have a clue as to the plane you're after. But I will suggest that if it has a stick built and tissue covered wing that it may not be that suitable as a first model for a 9 year old. At least not without a lot of adult help to the point that the question is "who actually built it?".
Hello,
Thanks for the reply.
The design really was simple as it was made from 1/6" balsa square stock and used flat surfaces with no airfoil and covered on one side with tissue just like the beginner Cub from AMA.

As for the name of the model, it's been over 20 years since I built one. I just remember wing having a an almost Pterodactyl / Bat shape. At first, I thought it may been called the Balsaurus but it was nowhere near close.

The reason I'd like to find the plans is, not only was super simple to build but it flew really good.

The search continues....
Shawn
Old Jul 22, 2014, 08:41 PM
Joined Jan 2007
564 Posts
could it be a Denny dart ?....
larryg is offline Find More Posts by larryg
Old Jul 22, 2014, 09:16 PM
Culper Junior
eastern pa
Joined Feb 2007
2,174 Posts
I know you said glider, but is this anything like what you're looking for? It is called the Simple Sam and was kitted/sold by Sig.
http://www.endlesslift.com/wp-conten...cleSamSide.jpg
aeronca52 is offline Find More Posts by aeronca52
Old Yesterday, 01:59 AM
Team Fearless
Joined Mar 2005
1,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryg View Post
could it be a Denny dart ?....
Hi Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately it's not a Deny Dart.
Old Yesterday, 02:00 AM
Team Fearless
Joined Mar 2005
1,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronca52 View Post
I know you said glider, but is this anything like what you're looking for? It is called the Simple Sam and was kitted/sold by Sig.
http://www.endlesslift.com/wp-conten...cleSamSide.jpg
No not that one either.
Old Yesterday, 07:02 PM
Team Fearless
Joined Mar 2005
1,424 Posts
Here is a picture that I drew of what I remember the wing looking like. I'm sure it's not exactly the way it looked but it is similar. I do however, remember that the wing and tail surfaces were all constructed with 1/16" balsa square stock with a simple flat stick fuse.
Hopefully this help in identifying the glider. Oh and IIRC, there was dihedral in the center of the wing with anhedral at the tips like a Gull wing.
Thanks again,
Shawn
Old Yesterday, 07:51 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,153 Posts
There is a construction article in the February 1990 Model Aviation "A pair of Bats" . These are flying wings, similar to your drawing and description, built as you said. There is Noctule I and II, one smaller , wing mostly out of 1/16 sq, and rubber powered. The other a little larger for a CO2 engine. I have a copy of the article I can send you, as I will never get around to building one. I don' t know if the article is in the AMA archives. I haven't looked.
Jim Thomerson is online now Find More Posts by Jim Thomerson
Old Yesterday, 10:29 PM
Team Fearless
Joined Mar 2005
1,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Thomerson View Post
There is a construction article in the February 1990 Model Aviation "A pair of Bats" . These are flying wings, similar to your drawing and description, built as you said. There is Noctule I and II, one smaller , wing mostly out of 1/16 sq, and rubber powered. The other a little larger for a CO2 engine. I have a copy of the article I can send you, as I will never get around to building one. I don' t know if the article is in the AMA archives. I haven't looked.
Yes that's exactly it! Thank You And yes I'd love to have a copy of the article. I'll send you a PM with my e-mail address.

Thanks again,
Shawn
Last edited by ~SnApRoLl; Yesterday at 10:43 PM.
Old Today, 08:33 AM
Joined Jan 2008
1,153 Posts
I need a snailmail address, as I am pretty much 20th century, and have paper copy.
Jim Thomerson is online now Find More Posts by Jim Thomerson