Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 11, 2014, 02:06 PM
Still crashing everything!
United States, CA, El Cajon
Joined Mar 2014
309 Posts
Discussion
I Can't Stop Buying Helicopters! HELP!

Someone in this forum mentioned that if they didn't make a new purchase soon they would lose their membership in the Heli-a-month club. I just started flying micro helis in January and I already have purchased 16! In the order they were purchased:

MJX T-23 (mistake - disassembled for parts and gone)
V911 - 6 (three lost in the wind)
V912
V913
Blade SR
Spectrum DX6i Transmitter
V977
HeliMax Axe 100
Tactic AnyLink Transmitter Module
HiSky HFP 80 V1 & V2
HiSky HFP 100s
Hubsan X4
V959
V262
Hisky X-6S Transmitter

I have a compulsion to buy any micro helicopter that comes to my attention. You folks are obviously of above average intelligence, surely someone here has come up with a solution for this compulsion to own every micro heli ever made?
dteel is online now Find More Posts by dteel
Last edited by dteel; Jul 10, 2014 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Updating list
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 11, 2014, 02:21 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2012
718 Posts
I don't think there's a vaccination for this disease just yet, but I don't mind as I'm feeling OK at the moment.
ZeRoEXPO is offline Find More Posts by ZeRoEXPO
Old Apr 11, 2014, 02:24 PM
United States, WI, Janesville
Joined Apr 2011
303 Posts
transdermal Lipo patch
weedan is offline Find More Posts by weedan
Old Apr 11, 2014, 02:27 PM
Joined Mar 2014
309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by weedan View Post
transdermal Lipo patch
Something tells me this would only add to the problem if all my batteries charged just from touching them...

I'm betting any practical solution involves the wife somehow.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 02:40 PM
Auntie Gravity left me hangin'
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Nov 2007
640 Posts
The cure for me, and my wallet, was to stay true to one simple rule: One TX to rule them all; i.e., no more toy transmitters. If I can't fly it with my main Deviated TX, the Buy It Now button is off limits. If I find my resolve wavering, all I have to do is open the dusty box full of unused clunky toy radios buried in my closet and I'm back on track.
Uncle Gravity is offline Find More Posts by Uncle Gravity
Old Apr 11, 2014, 03:46 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,342 Posts
I did the same thing when I started. In the first year, I accumulated 38 helis. Maintenance, repairs and parts were a nightmare. There were very few models as small or as cheap as the current micros, either. Everything was 250 size or bigger. It was costing me over $300 a month in parts after awhile.
Balr14 is online now Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Apr 11, 2014, 03:55 PM
Groovin', not fishin'
United States, CA, Twain Harte
Joined Feb 2014
381 Posts
Man, I've only got three and my wife is wondering what I'm going to buy next. . . . . I told her I'm shooting (down the line sometime in the future) for a 600 or larger class scale heli. When I told her the price tag of some of the kits (completed) she about fainted.

I think I better just learn to fly what I've got first. . . . .
bassman12350 is offline Find More Posts by bassman12350
Old Apr 11, 2014, 03:57 PM
Underdog
United States, OH, Toledo
Joined Dec 2012
348 Posts
I'm trying to buy no more than one of any particular heli. And only buy parts as needed. This has its drawbacks at times but it does help keep the expenses down.

Another line of reasoning that is saving me money is to only buy helis going up the progression. In other words don't buy helis of a size and skill set that I have already mastered. Admittedly this works for me because I'm at the bottom of the heli progression so hardly any helis are off limits, but it has helped convince myself to not buy a heli or two already.
Jonboy. is offline Find More Posts by Jonboy.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 04:16 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,342 Posts
I found once I bought something of higher quality, the cheaper stuff completely lost it's appeal. There was such a difference, that it was just impossible to go back. One Hirobo SRB Quark replaced about 15 other FP helis.
Balr14 is online now Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Apr 11, 2014, 05:38 PM
Joined Mar 2014
309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
I did the same thing when I started. In the first year, I accumulated 38 helis. Maintenance, repairs and parts were a nightmare. There were very few models as small or as cheap as the current micros, either. Everything was 250 size or bigger. It was costing me over $300 a month in parts after awhile.
I bow to your superior experience and knowledge. I see that I have a mild case of "buy-it-now".

Although as I sit here I have two on the way...wait, three.....heavy sigh.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 05:58 PM
Joined Jan 2013
1,337 Posts
Incredible, why would you need 6 V911 for???
joeclone is offline Find More Posts by joeclone
Old Apr 11, 2014, 07:15 PM
Expert Heli Crasher
Joined Jan 2014
863 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dteel View Post
I have a compulsion to buy any micro helicopter that comes to my attention. You folks are obviously of above average intelligence, surely someone here has come up with a solution for this compulsion to own every micro heli ever made?
First, welcome to the site.

There are several things that have helped prevent me fro going heli nuts and heli broke.

1) Modify and improve what you already own. It can be a lot of fun to do and increase performance too. See my blog for your v911's and there is a huge v911 thread in the micro heli forum of the site.
2) Get a simulator if you don't already have one. You can try new things in the simulator for free including 450 collective pitch helicopters. That should keep you busy for a little while. There are no tiny helis in RealFlight though, only larger ones. If you get really bored and want to try something completely different, try a turbine jet.

Phantom 1 (3 min 2 sec)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeclone View Post
Incredible, why would you need 6 V911 for???
For when two are broken, one is being upgraded, then you want two to be able to fly back-to-back while the motors cool down, and one spare. It's simple math.

-Florida Heli-
Florida Heli is online now Find More Posts by Florida Heli
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Florida Heli; Apr 11, 2014 at 10:04 PM.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 09:32 PM
24 yrs. of Aircraft flying
United States, GA, Rockmart
Joined Oct 2004
5,720 Posts
Well stop buying junk and you won't need so many. LOL< If you like them then that all that counts. I had about 6 at once time, right now Officially own only 1, gf has 1.. got to build fleet back up
epoweredrc is offline Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Old Apr 11, 2014, 09:58 PM
that's gonna leave a scar
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Aug 2007
3,421 Posts
get you an electric ducted fan jet (EDF)....you'll forget about the heli's for awhile
KCinNC is offline Find More Posts by KCinNC
Old Apr 11, 2014, 10:00 PM
HELICOPTER SWAGG
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Dec 2013
458 Posts
Lol, this thread is funny. The sign at the front door of my lhs says "your wife called, she said buy whatever you want" lol. I agree with balr though, I had 2 syma 107s, a syma s33, 3 v911s, v912, and v933. Then I bought my dx6i and 1st nano cpx. The difference in flight quality alone had me hooked and I won't buy anything I can't use my dx6i for. I sold my symas to a buddy and gave my v911s to my son and dad. Now I have 3 ncpx's and a 130x. Only reason I have 3 nanos was for the learning curve, while one was busted up I had 2 more. Now I have one blinged out with bl motor and microheli parts and 7mm tail motor and kbdd skids and 2 stock but blinged with cf canopies and kbdd skids and colored blades. Fun part about going hobby grade is the endless possibilities of upgrades that will keep you busy. On the other hand, your still spending money, just on parts instead of helis lol. Welcome to the club
yours truly is offline Find More Posts by yours truly