HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 10, 2014, 08:30 PM
United States, IL, Lake in the Hills
Joined Jul 2012
38 Posts
Discussion
Strobon strobe from Flytron

After waiting 6 weeks for them to arrive from Flytron, I can't get the strobes to work. I tried to power them with my AR8000 receiver in my DJI F550 Hexcopter, by connecting to AUX3, which is my MIX/Hold switch. I turned on transmitter, then powered F550, but strobe did not work. I had it connected with a standard servo wire (see photo). The pins were not soldered, because I wanted to test first. Then I connected to a 1 cell 3.7V 650maH LIPO, red wire to positive, black wire to negative, not soldered, and it still did not work. What am I doing wrong? The website says both options I tried above will work.
jim51945 is offline Find More Posts by jim51945
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2014, 06:06 AM
Joined Feb 2012
82 Posts
If you connect all 3 wires it to your receiver: Dont forget to trigger a valid signal - or just disconnect the "Signal" Wire for testing.

For standaloe, the website states "4 - 6V" (1 Cell = 3.7V)
barometer is online now Find More Posts by barometer
Old Feb 11, 2014, 04:07 PM
Joined Jul 2012
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by barometer View Post
If you connect all 3 wires it to your receiver: Dont forget to trigger a valid signal - or just disconnect the "Signal" Wire for testing.

I know, but on the Flytron Forum, they suggested you could use a 3.7v 1 cell. Didn't work for me.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 04:08 PM
Joined Jul 2012
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by barometer View Post

How do you trigger a signal?
Old Feb 12, 2014, 10:16 AM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim51945 View Post
How do you trigger a signal?
By operating that channel from your transmitter.

As suggested, connect the red/black wires to a 5V supply (forget the signal wire for now) and see if it strobes. If it doesn't then it's dead.

As an aside, although these units do work without the signal wire the timing of the flashes varies slightly ... so if you have more than one they don't flash in sync.

I ended up fitting a cheap servo tester to my hexa to drive them (as I didn't have a spare channel on the RX).
Bill Glover is online now Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Feb 13, 2014, 10:16 AM
Joined Jul 2012
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Glover View Post
By operating that channel from your transmitter.

As suggested, connect the red/black wires to a 5V supply (forget the signal wire for now) and see if it strobes. If it doesn't then it's dead.

As an aside, although these units do work without the signal wire the timing of the flashes varies slightly ... so if you have more than one they don't flash in sync.

I ended up fitting a cheap servo tester to my hexa to drive them (as I didn't have a spare channel on the RX).
It's dead. They are sending me new ones.
Old Yesterday, 07:19 AM
Joined Feb 2014
4 Posts
signal for strobs to sync

What wiring do I have to get from receiver to sync the strobs that are powered from another voltage source that uses the same neutral? Just the signal wire or also a neutral? My strobs are on a BEC and my receiver gets power from naza v2 via sbus. Thanks
windplay is offline Find More Posts by windplay
Old Yesterday, 08:57 AM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,483 Posts
You should just need to run the signal wire from the RX, and use + and - from the BEC.

I run two of them direct from the receiver though (powered from the Naza). They don't pull much power so unless you're using loads of them a BEC isn't really necessary IMHO.
Bill Glover is online now Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Yesterday, 09:18 AM
Joined Feb 2014
4 Posts
Have 6 dual (strobe plus nav) and 1 strobe.. did not want to overdo the connection 1 cable between the naza and receiver. Thanks for your help. BILL GLOVER
windplay is offline Find More Posts by windplay