HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 29, 2014, 03:13 PM
Herk
Virginia USA
Joined Jun 2007
1,636 Posts
This Launch issue is interesting Kent.

Gene Dees had that same maneuver when he winched his wing with a bridle and wing hooks. I'll have to see if I can find his writeup.

Anyway for him the cure was to run the bridle line through a loop on the end of the winch line. So, the the leads that go the the wing were not restrained in the middle. Logically you'd think that would make it worse, but it fixed it for him.
HerkS is online now Find More Posts by HerkS
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 29, 2014, 03:19 PM
less is more
United States, CA, Marina
Joined Sep 2006
2,781 Posts
Hard to imagine how the bridle options would result in the wildly different launches I experiences from yesterday to today, but INTERESTINGLY yesterday was the loose slippy sliding bridle and today was the fixed (with a knot) bridle.

Just for fun, I might launch at the beach, with the headwind, with the fixed bridle.

edit: Also I was launching up hill today.
Knoll53 is online now Find More Posts by Knoll53
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nosey
Old Jun 29, 2014, 05:03 PM
Herk
Virginia USA
Joined Jun 2007
1,636 Posts
Here is Gene's article.

His launching experience begins near the bottom of the fourth page.
HerkS is online now Find More Posts by HerkS
Old Jun 29, 2014, 06:43 PM
United States, MA, Middleboro
Joined Jul 2007
575 Posts
It looks like you need a bit more grunt for takeoffs.
Too bad you couldn't build a lighter version for thermals, I bet with a built up wing you could cut as much as 30% of the weight of the foam one.
iron eagle is offline Find More Posts by iron eagle
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The third time is a charm!
Old Jun 29, 2014, 07:00 PM
less is more
United States, CA, Marina
Joined Sep 2006
2,781 Posts
I've pulled a bungee back to 60lbs. before and no doubt that force coupled with a level launch area would have made for smoother launches. But at a certain point, it's just not worth it any more. I'm already tired by the time I get to the top of the mountain so 60 lbs. is out. Or I could just move the tow hooks forward another 1/2".

Light weight always has it's benefits, but at 12 oz/s.f., I'm not convinced that my only problem is weight. 1100 sq. in. SHOULD provide some good "float", but it's not happening. I've thermaled the Plank 101 at 17oz/s.f. , so what's the problem with this ship? It's safe to say that I'm done with the MH-45.
Knoll53 is online now Find More Posts by Knoll53
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nosey
Old Jun 29, 2014, 09:28 PM
United States, MA, Middleboro
Joined Jul 2007
575 Posts
If I recall a long time ago you thought it was far better at slope operation than thermal. I think it boils down to what you said earlier, the airfoil is a bit too thick.
iron eagle is offline Find More Posts by iron eagle
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The third time is a charm!