HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 16, 2013, 08:05 AM
United States, NY, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2013
18 Posts
Nice post Tim. Your experiences mirror my own when first starting with APM last year. I had plenty of extra things I had no idea I needed until I started trying to piece things together.

Treeline, something else that you may want to consider. If you're jumping onto the APM train at this point you may want to consider the PX4 board instead of the APM.

APM uses an antiquated Atmel CPU based on older Arduino hobby boards. The new PX4 board runs the same code but utilizes a much newer cortex cpu. Even the APM devs have hinted that PX4 is the future as they are starting to hit a wall with what the older Atmel CPUs can do.

It's more of a future proof than anything at this point as APM is still supported and developed but just something to consider.

Sorry to make things more complicated! I know if I was getting into APM today as a fresh adopter I would definitely go the PX4 route.
Numinous is offline Find More Posts by Numinous
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 16, 2013, 10:03 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2005
5,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorvald View Post
9. At least 8 female to female servo extension leads to connect your receiver to the APM, again not included with anything above. Another pain in the butt if you didn't realize it.
If you have a PPMSum receiver you can narrow this down to one wire. If you're flying Futaba with a S.Bus receiver you can get a FrSKY SBUS to PPM converter and use one wire.

Agreed the 8 wires make it a pain if you don't have them. They're a pain when you want to place your RX out on the wing.
typicalaimster is online now Find More Posts by typicalaimster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I was bored
Old Aug 18, 2013, 10:34 PM
Canada, ON, Innisfil
Joined Aug 2010
477 Posts
Yep I need to update that part, I'm running a Frsky Taranis with my quad and the new X8R needs that converter to use ppm. Already on order :-).

I had no idea about the PX4, I throught it was the OLDER module...lol! Thanks for that info.
Thorvald is offline Find More Posts by Thorvald