Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 07, 2013, 03:36 PM
United States, OH, Conneaut
Joined Dec 2012
115 Posts
Discussion
Syma S111G Lost Half Its Flight Time

Hello again ... well sir ... my Syma S111G is flying about 4 minutes before it lose its height and descends to the floor, I can start it again and it will fly for another minute, again it would slowly drop to the floor. I can do it a couple of time before it no longer gains height.

I have always let it cool down for 15 min. after flying before charging and I would allow it to cool down after charging. The other day I forgot I had it hooked up to the computer. I saw nothing in the instructions ... not that there was much ... that warned again overcharging.

I just got this Christmas day so the battery should still be okay. Any ideas what the problem is? Thank you for reading my post.
Spirittoo is offline Find More Posts by Spirittoo
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2013, 03:55 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,342 Posts
The battery is shot. You should check voltage with a voltmeter before and after each flight.
Balr14 is online now Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Jan 07, 2013, 04:50 PM
Joined Dec 2012
115 Posts
How can I check the voltage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
The battery is shot. You should check voltage with a voltmeter before and after each flight.
How can the battery be shot so quickly? I didn't abuse it. Do you know how I would go about checking the voltage? Where do I hook up the leads to check? What kind of volt reading should I be getting? Thanks for your post.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 01:17 PM
RTF (Ready to Fragment)
United States, WI, Beloit
Joined Nov 2012
3,696 Posts
It freaks me out that so many get into hobby stuff without knowing
anything about batteries.

Spiritoo, you do know these packs can burn down your house, right?

It sounds like you ran the pack too low.

It ruins then if you let them get too far discharged.

You DID abuse it when you kept trying to fly it with a low charge.
Steve_ is online now Find More Posts by Steve_
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Steve_; Jan 08, 2013 at 01:29 PM.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 01:49 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,342 Posts
Those very small lipos won't hold a charge indefinitely and you don't know how long it sat on the shelf before you bought. Once it discharges to a certain point, it suffers permanent damage. Many cheap chargers do no prevent over-charging, which is also fatal. Single cell lipos should read about 4.1v to 4.3v when fully charged. When discharged, they should not be below 3.5v and many helis don't allow them to drop below 3.7v. The most typical sign that a battery is damaged is it will fully charge, but it will lose the charge rather quickly. At first it takes 3 or 4 minutes, but it will degrade down to 10 or 15 seconds over time.

With most of these batteries, finding where to touch the probes from a voltmeter is lots of fun. I found a female connector with some lead wires that can't touch each other works best.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 04:36 PM
Joined Dec 2012
115 Posts
So I'm a Newbie ... You got a problem with that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_ View Post
It freaks me out that so many get into hobby stuff without knowing
anything about batteries.

Spiritoo, you do know these packs can burn down your house, right?

It sounds like you ran the pack too low.

It ruins then if you let them get too far discharged.

You DID abuse it when you kept trying to fly it with a low charge.
Hey ... everyone got to start some where ... you have to crawl before you can walk ... just because you know about the batteries doesn't mean everyone else will.

I didn't run the pack too low ... I knew about stopping before it got too low. What I didn't know is you can damage the battery if you overcharged and I did forget that I had it charging.

If you are here to jump in my save it ... I don't need it or want it.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 04:40 PM
Joined Dec 2012
115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
Those very small lipos won't hold a charge indefinitely and you don't know how long it sat on the shelf before you bought. Once it discharges to a certain point, it suffers permanent damage. Many cheap chargers do no prevent over-charging, which is also fatal. Single cell lipos should read about 4.1v to 4.3v when fully charged. When discharged, they should not be below 3.5v and many helis don't allow them to drop below 3.7v. The most typical sign that a battery is damaged is it will fully charge, but it will lose the charge rather quickly. At first it takes 3 or 4 minutes, but it will degrade down to 10 or 15 seconds over time.

With most of these batteries, finding where to touch the probes from a voltmeter is lots of fun. I found a female connector with some lead wires that can't touch each other works best.

Yeah I didn't know about overcharging ... I read the reviews about not draining the battery, but nothing about overcharging. I had it charging on the computer, forgot about it and left it overnight. So I guess I have to order a new battery. I will make sure that I don't overcharge my other helis. Thanks for posting.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 05:09 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,342 Posts
It would be a good idea to check the voltage before and after a flight, anyway. There is always the chance a motor is going bad.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 06:19 PM
My other addiction!
Marysville, Ca., US
Joined Jan 2007
1,650 Posts
Spirittoo,
While it may have seemed like Steve_ was just jumping in your "Shtuff", what he had to say was accurate and very important. These LiPO batteries require special treatment, and are far more sensitive to "abuse" than NiMH or NiCd batteries. The worst thing is to charge them unattended. EVERY INSTANCE where someone burned down their house or their garage they have admitted that they started the batteries charging then went to do something else, and forgot about them. I don't get as freaked out as some do when charging these batteries, but I do show them a healthy amount of respect. You sound like you will too, and that's all we in a forum can do. Provide enough information to help someone stay safe.

Happy flying and good luck with the new batteries. Hope they last longer for you.
norcalheli is offline Find More Posts by norcalheli
Old Jan 08, 2013, 06:29 PM
Joined Dec 2012
115 Posts
Question about battery and AC adapter charger

Do all the mini syma heli run with the same battery or are they all different? If I bought some 3.7V 200mAh batteries would they work in all the different mini models?

Also question about the AC battery charger ... how do you know with it that the battery has finish charging. I see a light on it ... haven't used it yet ... anyone have one of the ac charger for the mini helis?

Thank you for your input norcalheli ... the manufacture should have provided the information for proper care of the heli and the battery charging.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 06:35 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,342 Posts
You can probably get more Syma information in the coaxial forum. Most of us here don't know much about them.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 07:02 PM
Joined Dec 2012
115 Posts
Will do ...

Thank you very much ... I will do that.
Old Jan 09, 2013, 06:31 AM
Just a 9116 flyer.
Australia, NSW, Wollongong
Joined Dec 2012
613 Posts
Hi Spirittoo,
I've just started in electric heli's as well & bought myself a balance charger.
This will help in saving your new batteries.
You can check for those models with their own built-in power supply.
> http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=7028
Rajah235 is online now Find More Posts by Rajah235
Old Jan 09, 2013, 11:30 AM
Joined Dec 2012
115 Posts
Thanks

Thank you very much for the link
Old Jan 09, 2013, 12:38 PM
Just a 9116 flyer.
Australia, NSW, Wollongong