HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 06, 2012, 04:15 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,776 Posts
I cant understand this lose wing thing as myself and Scott each grabbed a wing to pull it apart and man was it in there tight.Scott told me it took him like 20 min to get the wings in the saddle.
eckace1 is offline Find More Posts by eckace1
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2012, 04:20 PM
Joined Aug 2012
1,346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfwd View Post
You are just bumming me out man ! You don't like the TUB (Glider) that's made to float around not do loops and scream around at 100mph. OK fine sell it and get a screamer.
Don't worry, it will carry a camera not trouble
Personally I'd leave the motor and prop as standard and move the ESC on top in front of the motor or like I did in the motor pod to let it get some air flow, use a seperate ubec/sbec though as that weedy one doesn't seem right running 6 servos
I replaced my standard ESC with a Hobbywing FunFly 60a and fitted a seperate sbec, I fitted the 60a esc in the motor pod for better cooling and to shift the CG back a tiny bit more to 110mm

With a 10mph wind you could stay in the air indefinitely with your camera on the nose too
Dogdude is offline Find More Posts by Dogdude
Old Sep 06, 2012, 04:21 PM
Joined Aug 2012
1,346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eckace1 View Post
I cant understand this lose wing thing as myself and Scott each grabbed a wing to pull it apart and man was it in there tight.Scott told me it took him like 20 min to get the wings in the saddle.
Try flying it around for sevral hours
I have my wings taped on and yet one has still started to come away (by about 1/4 inch), they really do need to be held in place otherwise it'll end in tears
Dogdude is offline Find More Posts by Dogdude
Old Sep 06, 2012, 06:36 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,776 Posts
Were the wings in the saddle lose to begin with? Have you had a hard landing or previous crash? I'm just asking as From what I see with my friends plane there are no issues mybe he got lucky and recieved a better than average plane. I would also inspect the wing saddle for cracks and or splits you might have to try and bend it to see them.
eckace1 is offline Find More Posts by eckace1
Old Sep 06, 2012, 07:57 PM
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Aug 2011
490 Posts
Took my SSS up to 2400' tonight - reached the limits of my DX8. I panicked and tried to bring it down too fast and got in a weird spiral - thought I wasn't going to be able to get out of it but finally I did - good thing I had so much altitude. This plane flies like a dream - I love it.
seojeff is offline Find More Posts by seojeff
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 06, 2012, 08:01 PM
dbc
United States, FL, Brooksville
Joined Apr 2008
1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfwd View Post
You are just bumming me out man ! You don't like the TUB (Glider) that's made to float around not do loops and scream around at 100mph. OK fine sell it and get a screamer.
I never said I wanted it to be a "screamer". I know what it's intended purpose is. I just pointed out several things that could have made it a much better plane. Don't be "bummed out" by that.
dbc is offline Find More Posts by dbc
Old Sep 06, 2012, 08:28 PM
Joined Jan 2010
3,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbc View Post
I just pointed out several things that could have made it a much better plane. Don't be "bummed out" by that.
You gotta love people that think they know more about designing model aircraft than the professionals that do it for a living, and can immediately list all of the things that the designers got wrong. I don't have a SSS yet but most that do seem to think they did a good job.
kaptondave is online now Find More Posts by kaptondave
Old Sep 06, 2012, 08:45 PM
United States, SC, Greenville
Joined Jun 2011
246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seojeff View Post
Took my SSS up to 2400' tonight - reached the limits of my DX8. I panicked and tried to bring it down too fast and got in a weird spiral - thought I wasn't going to be able to get out of it but finally I did - good thing I had so much altitude. This plane flies like a dream - I love it.
What RX are you using? Satellite? I'm curious because I'd heard of a few DX8 guys who's radios seemed weak and had to be adjusted by HH. Did it pass a 30 pace range test? I'm contemplating picking up one of these SSS's for some high altitude flight and have a DX8 as well and would have thought the range should exceed 2400'.

Thanks,
Norm
Norm62 is online now Find More Posts by Norm62
Old Sep 06, 2012, 09:49 PM
Principal Member
San Francisco, CA
Joined Jun 2002
961 Posts
Fastfwd, im using a 5000mah 3s and a camera on the nose to get a perfect cg. If you read a little back, i link to the exact packi use which fits in the battery space like a glove.
compuatic is offline Find More Posts by compuatic
Old Sep 06, 2012, 10:31 PM
Joined Aug 2011
490 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm62 View Post
What RX are you using? Satellite? I'm curious because I'd heard of a few DX8 guys who's radios seemed weak and had to be adjusted by HH. Did it pass a 30 pace range test? I'm contemplating picking up one of these SSS's for some high altitude flight and have a DX8 as well and would have thought the range should exceed 2400'.

Thanks,
Norm
I was using a OrangeRX 9CH with a satellite. I didn't do the 30 pace test. Flying here just outside of Atlanta I would expect the 2.4 spectrum to be pretty busy. That's the very first time I've ever gone beyond the range of my DX8. I may have been able to push it a little more but I was afraid of losing it. I've already lost 2 planes in the past month so I didn't want to make it a 3rd.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 06, 2012, 11:19 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by compuatic View Post
Fastfwd, im using a 5000mah 3s and a camera on the nose to get a perfect cg. If you read a little back, i link to the exact packi use which fits in the battery space like a glove.
Thanks ! Ill get one coming, although i don't have a Go Pro,just a little dice Cam, may have to just add some weight up front. We put friends SSS together tonight, took like 3 hours With a 3600mah and his Go Pro COG was good at 110mm. Im not in love with the small control wires, they are actually smaller diameter than the ones in my Sonic 185, Anyone know where to order better wire for elevator and rudder ?
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Sep 07, 2012, 12:08 AM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by porcia83 View Post
that depends, would it ever be delivered? ba dump dump
are you talking about my motor ?? If so i have it here in my nicotine stained hands
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Sep 07, 2012, 01:46 AM
If it flies.....I can crash it
United Kingdom, England, Preston on Stour
Joined Nov 2011
2,140 Posts
Any UK suppliers for this plane yet????
blackbrabus is online now Find More Posts by blackbrabus
Old Sep 07, 2012, 04:47 AM
Geezer
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seojeff View Post
I was using a OrangeRX 9CH with a satellite. I didn't do the 30 pace test. Flying here just outside of Atlanta I would expect the 2.4 spectrum to be pretty busy. That's the very first time I've ever gone beyond the range of my DX8. I may have been able to push it a little more but I was afraid of losing it. I've already lost 2 planes in the past month so I didn't want to make it a 3rd.
I think that I would question the range of the little orange RX, even with the satellite and go with a bone fide Spektrum full range RX.

edited: I just found this in an Orange RX thread in the Radios forum:http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=13
Rickochet is offline Find More Posts by Rickochet
Last edited by Rickochet; Sep 07, 2012 at 07:26 AM.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 08:10 PM
Joined Aug 2011
490 Posts
WARNING!

If you have a SSS please double check your control rod connecting to the elevator. The rod is too thin for the holes in the servo arms and can come disconnected during flight unexpectedly. This happened to me tonight and resulted in a high-speed nose dive straight into the ground. Fortunately I wasn't very far away so I was able to recover all the bits except for the axle that holds the landing gear wheel. I'm going to attempt to rebuild it but it will never be the same. Really bummed because I loved this plane and it was gorgeous.
RCG Plus Member