Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:25 PM
in persuit of low wing loading
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,426 Posts
The propulsion set that BSD recommends is their 4:1 ratio 7mm gearbox, with their hot wind motor. The hot wind motor is a good choice because it is combined with a somewhat small prop. I have two of these too, but haven't gotten around to building them yet. When I do it will use the rrecommended propulsin system. The J3 Cub setup (which is one of my favorite propulsion systems) might work, but I don't think it will result in as much thrust as the recommended 7mm.

Gordon
Gordon Johnson is offline Find More Posts by Gordon Johnson
Last edited by Gordon Johnson; Nov 30, 2012 at 08:07 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:48 PM
Oxford, Michigan, United States
Joined Aug 1999
2,287 Posts
Off topic Gordon but are the Vapor and J3 gearboxes the same ratio? I know the motors are the same diameter but???
Petefoss is online now Find More Posts by Petefoss
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:03 PM
in persuit of low wing loading
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,426 Posts
No they are not. The Cub has a lower gear ratio, and also a smaller prop. The Cub has the same gear ratio as the Ember. But, the Ember has the same wind as the Vapor. Clear as mud?

It's on my to do list to summarize all the current crop of 6mm motors and what they do in various gearboxes. For example, the Cub motor in the Vapor gearbox with Vapor prop will develop the most thrust, but also higher amp draw than the stock Vapor/Ember motor. I also need to finish testing the new 6x10mm motors and summarize what the Ares can do in its gearbox and prop vs. what the MiniVapor can do with its higher gear ratio and larger prop. Don't be in a hurry for these results as I'm headed out of town on business.

Gordon
Gordon Johnson is offline Find More Posts by Gordon Johnson
Old Dec 01, 2012, 11:21 AM
USA, VA, Harrisonburg
Joined Jul 2005
61 Posts
Ordered the kits and the BSD motors as recommended. Will take pics of the build and fly when they get here. I have floats on a micro J3 Cub but have not had the chance to try it off water. It will take off from a smooth Gym floor.

JMUpilot
jmupilot is offline Find More Posts by jmupilot
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:13 AM
USA, VA, Harrisonburg
Joined Jul 2005
61 Posts
Making control connections

Just wondered what you guys used to make the microcable to wire pushrod connection. looks like a tube that the two different wires are glued togetherwith a tube covering. just hate to glue these inside and have them come apart later.
Got the Triton kits this past weekend and have it ready to do this step before covering the bottom up. I was amazed at the small size. forgot what building tiny models was like. but took some build pics and will post them if anyone wants to see.

Pete
jmupilot is offline Find More Posts by jmupilot
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:26 AM
Crazy Canuck
United States, VA, Woodbridge
Joined Apr 2007
2,145 Posts
I don't remember what I did,been awhile since I last looked at mine. But I would use heat shrink tube and put some CA inside it to put the two together then use a ironing tip to shrink it down that should hold it. I did the rudder with a carbon fiber rod from the brick to the rudder as it was just easier to do. Make sure you keep enough space between the shrink tube and the tube that goes to the control surfaces big enough as to not touch each other in their full movements. The elevator has the flex wire only. I just might get another kit to build another one they're loads of fun to fly. Ask Ken if he can make you some decals for you he made mine using my AMA number along with the Triton Symbol on the tail. Looks cool.
NEWBEFLYER is offline Find More Posts by NEWBEFLYER
Old Jan 05, 2013, 08:13 PM
United States, OH, Dublin
Joined Sep 2001
452 Posts
Just ordered 2 of these triton kits and am looking for brushless substitute. Any ideas?

http://www.nitroplanes.com/epmp-24a-p51-mustang.html

This p51 airplane is similar in weight and has loads of power. I just got done building it and my first flight was great. I cannot find out much info about the power system, I wish I would have weighed it and tested it before I installed it. I might order another kit just to see. Think it could work on Triton?
pohlmeyr is offline Find More Posts by pohlmeyr
Last edited by pohlmeyr; Jan 06, 2013 at 08:44 AM.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 07:10 PM
No dear, That isn't New!
USA, IL, Urbana
Joined Nov 2006
820 Posts
Waiting on BSD to get the motors back in stock! Anyone using something besides the recommended motor from BSD?

Jim
pattypilot is offline Find More Posts by pattypilot
Old Jan 17, 2013, 05:14 PM
No dear, That isn't New!
USA, IL, Urbana
Joined Nov 2006
820 Posts
Still No Motors?
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:23 PM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,749 Posts
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=10003
tis motor fits A 7MM GEARBOX. NO IDEA IF IT WILL WORK...
nemoskull is offline Find More Posts by nemoskull
Old Jan 17, 2013, 08:15 PM
No dear, That isn't New!
USA, IL, Urbana
Joined Nov 2006
820 Posts
Thanks Nemoskull. I'm thinking real hard about just going with a HH P51 motor gearbox combo! I'd have to rework a motor mount, But I think it would have the power? any thoughts? Thanks.

Jim
Old Jan 17, 2013, 08:20 PM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,749 Posts
should be over powered. id really stick with the recommended GWJ 7mm gearbox, and maybe go for a 1.1 ohm flyzone motor if you want more power.

IIRC, this thing will ROW, take off from water, that takes a fair bit of power.

the PZ gearbox will be waaay more powered, but not sure if it will still be with the stock props.

its also a bit heaver, too.

oif you dont mind a bit of reinventing, its a solid choice. they are every where and can be kept running with new motor from HH or HK.
nemoskull is offline Find More Posts by nemoskull
Old Jan 20, 2013, 08:01 AM
GymDandy Flyer
Webb City, Missouri
Joined Apr 2004
591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattypilot View Post
Waiting on BSD to get the motors back in stock! Anyone using something besides the recommended motor from BSD?
Still no motors.
Jim
Hi, Jim (pattypilot)
Need to call BSD, he has the motors, he just has not had time to add them to his inventory stock. Thus, it shows up as Out of Stock on the BSD web site.
Keep Them Flying ! , Ken
Ken Spencer is offline Find More Posts by Ken Spencer
Old Jan 20, 2013, 08:34 AM
United States, OH, Dublin
Joined Sep 2001
452 Posts
Im going to try the motor and esc combo in this set-up
http://www.nitroplanes.com/epmp-24a-p51-mustang.html

I will try to get some specs on the out put of this swinging a 3x2 and a 3x3 gws prop.
pohlmeyr is offline Find More Posts by pohlmeyr
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:13 PM
No dear, That isn't New!
USA, IL, Urbana
Joined Nov 2006
820 Posts
Thanks Ken! I'll check it out! OK, checked it out and ordered!

Jim
Last edited by pattypilot; Jan 20, 2013 at 10:24 PM.