HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jun 19, 2011, 09:40 PM
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Jan 2011
221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
There's a link to the camera instructions in post #3, but they don't tell you anything!
  • Does the yellow LED come on when power button pushed?
  • Is battery charged? Does it hold a charge?
  • Will camera record with power from car charger?
  • Did you try another USB cable?
  • Did you try a different USB port (one on the PC case, not a remote hub)?
  • Did you reformat the flash card(s) (preferrably with SDformatter utility)?
  • Does the flash card work in other devices?
SInce the camera shows some signs of life off and on, it's an intermittant problem... likely connectivity/data communication problem.
Thanks for the help. The camera turns on the red LED when connected to a USB port on the laptop, and turns it off after a little while, consistent with recharging behavior experienced before. Used two different USB cables, but I think this is internal to the device, as I noticed it when getting ready to record and failing to turn it on with the power button. Other than the *one* time, there has been no response to the power button.

Trying it out on a new computer (Dell Netbook WinXP) with the old microSD card, and rapidly pressing the power button, I did get it to recognize the USB mode just now. Not sure how to diagnose if the microswitch is bad, or if it is something else.

Should I reapply the firmware? I have other devices to read the cards, so I can take the firmware off outside the device if necessary, but I'm not sure I can turn the thing on to even see that it is there...

v/r,
C-F
CANNONFODDER0 is offline Find More Posts by CANNONFODDER0
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 19, 2011, 09:46 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CANNONFODDER0 View Post
Thanks for the help. The camera turns on the red LED when connected to a USB port on the laptop, and turns it off after a little while, consistent with recharging behavior experienced before. Used two different USB cables, but I think this is internal to the device, as I noticed it when getting ready to record and failing to turn it on with the power button. Other than the *one* time, there has been no response to the power button.

Trying it out on a new computer (Dell Netbook WinXP) with the old microSD card, and rapidly pressing the power button, I did get it to recognize the USB mode just now. Not sure how to diagnose if the microswitch is bad, or if it is something else.

Should I reapply the firmware? I have other devices to read the cards, so I can take the firmware off outside the device if necessary, but I'm not sure I can turn the thing on to even see that it is there...

v/r,
C-F
If it functions occasionally, I think the firmware is OK. It does sound like maybe the power button switch is flakey, doesn't it? I'm not sure which pins of the power switch get shorted when you push the button... maybe someone has tested this and can confirm here? Then you could just short those two pins rather than push the button to see if the button contacts are flakey.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Jun 19, 2011, 09:59 PM
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Jan 2011
221 Posts
Quote:
If it functions occasionally, I think the firmware is OK. It does sound like maybe the power button switch is flakey, doesn't it? I'm not sure which pins of the power switch get shorted when you push the button... maybe someone has tested this and can confirm here? Then you could just short those two pins rather than push the button to see if the button contacts are flakey.
I think you are right. *Fudge-cicles*, I was rather hoping it was something procedural I had done to put it in a funny state/mood.

Thanks for helping confirm the temporary diagnosis, I have to get to bed to get up for travel in a couple hours, so this will have to wait. When I go on leave in July, I will ask my dad to help trace that power button out, he did instrumentation/controls before he retired (one more distraction, he's recovering from heart surgery).

v/r,
C-F
CANNONFODDER0 is offline Find More Posts by CANNONFODDER0
Old Jun 19, 2011, 10:22 PM
AMA Member since 1984
Joined Jan 2010
41 Posts
Well, there is F/w files to:

A. Remove timestamp, 20min. close and continue.
B. Restore timestamp, 20min. close and continue.
C. Continuous recording, remove timestamp.

Can we get one to:

D. Continuous recording, restore timestamp.

That should cover all the bases.

I know some people have mentioned this, and it would be convenient for some situations.

Any luck with this Tom????
RcNutDave is offline Find More Posts by RcNutDave
Old Jun 19, 2011, 10:43 PM
Ugly planes do not fly
USA, GA, Alpharetta
Joined Mar 2007
1,689 Posts
Quote:
Yes... all of the one's denoted as "808" with versions up to #10 are COMPLETELY different. Some are OK, #3 especially, but all have non-HD CMOS sensors with only VGA (640x480) frame sizes. There's another "MEGA Keychain" thread discussing all those. When The #11 appeared, it was out of place being discussed with all those others, and that's why I started this thread.

GREAT price on the Transcend card. I had not even seen a CL10 card listed for Transcend previously. That's the price I paid for my CL6 cards. But, my CL6 cards will produce sequential write speed test results (between 11-12 MB/s) in excess of CL10 minimum speed requirements, so I'm wondering if Transcend has merely increased the speed rating on their existing cards, or created an even faster card. Either way your card should be more than adequate.

If you get a chance, maybe you can test yours using the CrystalDiskMark utility (free download) and post the results here? If I needed more flash cards, I'd jump on the ones you linked.
Here is my card's speed test.
_Sergey_ is offline Find More Posts by _Sergey_
Old Jun 19, 2011, 11:53 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Aug 2010
71 Posts
Quote:
All of the #11 cameras show darkening at the right/left edges and corners of the video (vignetting). Some are worse than others, but they all show this problem to some degree. Mine is one of the worse ones, I think.
Hi Tom - it may seem frivirlous, but have you at any time attributed this edge darkening effect, to shadowing caused by the small case hole in front of the camera lens ? - just a thought and easy to rule out..

You asked in an earlier post about the inconsistent speed test results you were getting using CL6 4GB and 8GB cards. Not entirely sure - plain odd in fact, but I don't get anything like the random read/write throughput yourself and others users have attained. My stats are consintenty below 5GB across the board, CL4 & CL6.

Richard
timetec is offline Find More Posts by timetec
Old Jun 20, 2011, 01:11 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CANNONFODDER0 View Post
I think you are right. *Fudge-cicles*, I was rather hoping it was something procedural I had done to put it in a funny state/mood.
v/r,
C-F
The camera is still powered when the power button is off, at least part of that keeps the real time clock ticking. I have another camera, not a #11, that I have 2-3 times managed to put into an inoperative state when pushing buttons going through various configuration menu options. I never managed to isolate the exact cause, but once done, the camera would no longer respond to the power or record buttons. BUT, if I popped out the battery (easy since it's a hard case Li-Ion cell, not wiring in place cell), then reinstalled it, the camera would regain normal operation. That is still a possibility with your #11 camera, hence the last resort option of disconnecting the battery briefly. One user claimed that restored his "dead" camera, others have not had that success. But worth a try if the button diagnosis doesn't show anything wrong.

Good luck with it, and let us know what you find. If the camera is fairly new and has not experienced crash damage, you can probably get it replaced by your vendor.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 01:17 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcNutDave View Post
Well, there is F/w files to:

A. Remove timestamp, 20min. close and continue.
B. Restore timestamp, 20min. close and continue.
C. Continuous recording, remove timestamp.

Can we get one to:

D. Continuous recording, restore timestamp.

That should cover all the bases.

I know some people have mentioned this, and it would be convenient for some situations.

Any luck with this Tom????
No, not yet. But, this has been flagged on a wish list.

There are other bigger issues that will benefit all users, e.g taming the excessive saturation and white balance shift as the exposure level shifts that have been flagged as higher priority, along with fixing the continuous recording bug that does not restart a new segment after the 4GB files size limit. We're lucky we are getting any firmware changes in my opinion... not many companies would do this for their customers. But they are a small company and developing new camera designs, so I think there is a limit on what we can expect.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 01:20 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Sergey_ View Post
Here is my card's speed test.
Thanks for posting. It meets the minimum CL10 sequential read/write criteria, but it's a bit slower overall than my CL 6 cards! So I think they have just re-branded the older CL6 cards, which seems the smart thing for them to do from a marketing standpoint.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 01:32 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timetec View Post
Hi Tom - it may seem frivirlous, but have you at any time attributed this edge darkening effect, to shadowing caused by the small case hole in front of the camera lens ? - just a thought and easy to rule out..

You asked in an earlier post about the inconsistent speed test results you were getting using CL6 4GB and 8GB cards. Not entirely sure - plain odd in fact, but I don't get anything like the random read/write throughput yourself and others users have attained. My stats are consintenty below 5GB across the board, CL4 & CL6.

Richard
Yes, the possibility of the small case hole as well as the lens not being perfectly centered in it has come up here in the past as a possible contributor of the vignetting. One user had posted the fact that he reamed his case opening larger to test this, and did not see any difference. Coincidentally, I was just looking at mine earlier this evening and saw the lens was not perfectly centered, and the side that was closer to the lens also had a very slightly greater darkening in the corners of the frame. You can see this in the mask bitmap file I made for the correction filter. I did a little beveling of the case hole and shot a brief clip with overcast day light, but did not see any improvement in that short clip. But will do some more test video on a brighter day.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 04:44 AM
Joined Apr 2011
14 Posts
Hey what is this? Long time not here hearing now that there are 3 different version of the #11 cam? How to identify mine? Heard there is now a jumbo version with a larger battery? what is the capacity? mine does have 250mah. Well by talking by the battery mine seems to have died. Please give a link to a replacement battery fitting inside the #11 case, a stronger one would be nice like that one from the jumbo version. can be that the cmos is getting damaged? the video quality suffers from day to day. it looks like i was in FOG but it is a clear sunny day
Karkadam is offline Find More Posts by Karkadam
Old Jun 20, 2011, 05:42 AM
The Netherlands, GR, Groningen
Joined Apr 2011
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karkadam View Post
Please give a link to a replacement battery fitting inside the #11 case (
You could contact hxelepro (Diana), she is more than happy to sell you the original 250mA battery for CAD3,99 + shipping. I suspect the other #11 vendors may have simular offers.
grun is offline Find More Posts by grun
Old Jun 20, 2011, 06:49 AM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,339 Posts
Quote:
I've attached two frame grabs from my #11 camera showing a before and after picture of how this filter mask can improve the video.
That's a big improvement! Maybe some of the newer #11 cameras have less to start with, at least it seems that way?
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Jun 20, 2011, 09:40 AM
AMA #903699
USA, VA, Alexandria
Joined Mar 2008
924 Posts
Hello gang:

A few days back I posted a question regarding cockpit video and audio. You may recall I'm thinking of using my #11 cam in the cockpit of my full-size aircraft to record my lessons for later study. I read that you only retain about half of the hour lesson since you're bombarded with so much info.

Wouldn't it be cool to record audio and video and watch your lesson again to really absorb all that the plane was doing, what your instructor was saying, etc?

Well here's what I found. It looks like one way to get audio for your #11 cam footage is this cable from Barnstormer Audio. It connects between the plane's audio jacks and your headset, so you could patch in a iPhone, pocket recorder, etc.

I also found this solution. Very cool, but $500 is pretty steep, when it looks like I could get the #11 cam and audio tracks synced together in something like iMovie or Final Cut.

I know that all this audio talk on the outward bounds of this #11 camera discussion, but I wanted to respond to those that responded to my questions, as well as anyone else that might have the same idea. Hopefully soon I can post a #11 clip of one of my super-smooth landings, with audio!

Thanks again for all the great #11 info.
Tony_Fletcher is offline Find More Posts by Tony_Fletcher
Old Jun 20, 2011, 09:53 AM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,339 Posts
I'm cheap, so I would attempt to carefully remove the little microphone from a #3 cam ($13) and add a servo connector and servo extension. Tuck that little mike under the headset, maybe wrap in Saran wrap to keep the sweat and wax off

Then you could use the #3 to catch glimpses of joy or horror as you do those landings, and patch the sound in, and/or use PIP.

Haven't tested if there is a problem with extending the mike without some kind of amplification, but it should work for 3ft or so.
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Closed Thread