HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 05, 2002, 08:45 AM
Gainesville, TX
Joined Feb 2002
90 Posts
Confusion on Batterys for Zagi

I have a ZAGI with the standard KR-1700AU which measures 1.4" x 1.4" by 4" it is 9.6 Volt 1700Mha. I found a great web site for ordering battery packs http://www.eflightpacks.com. They advertise a B8-1400AE which has the exact same dimentions as my standard Zagi Pack. They also advertise a E8-CP1700 which is 1.8" x 0.9" x 5.5". What is the difference? what is the AU designation vs AE. What is the difference between NiCd and NiMh. Please help.
dntmn is offline Find More Posts by dntmn
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2002, 09:33 AM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,607 Posts
Nicad vs. Nimh

I will deal with your second question and leave the first to someone else. As you are no doubt aware batteries are chemical storage containers. The difference between these two batteries is the chemicals used. nicad is a nickel cadium battery and Nimh is nickel metal hydride. Nickel Cadium is a great deal heavier and gives its voltage out very well. Nimh is much smaller and lighter and doesn't give out quite as high a voltage at the top end. Since the Nimh is smaller and lighter a 350 mamp Nicad weighs about the same as a 650 mamp Nimh. Thus you can get about twice the running time using a Nimh battery pack over a Nicad. However since the top voltage released is just slightly less with a Nimh most modelers will go to 8 cells of Nimh to replace a 7 cell Nicad. In charging a Nicad will generally take more abuse then a Nimh and can be recharged at a higher voltage and thus quicker. Try it with a Nimh and it gives off a false recharged reading and if you are using an automatic (Non smart) charger it shuts down even though the battery isn't fully charged. Nimh also get warmer then Nicads. I use nicads with my Zagi as do most people I know. Hope that helps.
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Michael Heer; Mar 05, 2002 at 09:39 AM.
Old Mar 05, 2002, 01:25 PM
Tampa, FL
Joined Feb 2002
170 Posts
Here is my understanding on the battery coding,... someone correct me if I'm wrong. The first letter, in this case A indicates cell size and the second indicates the charge/discharge characteristics.

E - Extended
U - Normal
R - Rapid
ayanez is offline Find More Posts by ayanez