HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 04, 2013, 03:17 PM
Canada, ON, Quinte West
Joined Feb 2009
952 Posts
Wow thanks for the high praise!
In all honesty, I had no idea if it would work at all, it could have putted along at barely an idle speed and I wouldnt be too surprised. my other concern was cavitation with the outdrive unit. But much to my surprise, it worked as planned!

I will say that the slow speed control i got with the Team Losi Esc isn't that great, But with the bigger props, you might get a little better control because of the extra power needed to turn the bigger prop. Other than that, the motor and esc have worked flawlessly so far.

Overpowering things is great fun! and besides, you can always just run it at 80% until someone wants to race, then you have a sleeper on your hands!

I have an 800 mah LiPo and I have yet to run it down to low voltage cut off. so you should have no problem with a similar sized battery. I probably could have got away with a 400, but the shape of the 800 was better for its placement in mine.

Cheers, keep us posted!
G-O
Guard-Officer is offline Find More Posts by Guard-Officer
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2013, 07:12 PM
Straight up is all I ask
Fairfield Ct USA
Joined Apr 2002
2,323 Posts
Ok I've progressed . I installed the motors and build the rough shape for the superstructure . It is a bit of a kit bash , I hope you folks that view approve .
jmolwitz is offline Find More Posts by jmolwitz
Old Feb 21, 2013, 08:25 PM
Canada, ON, Quinte West
Joined Feb 2009
952 Posts
Looks great!
Like it a lot! If you need to save a few grams, you can replace the heavy metal universals with some silicone tubing, it works excellent and will protect stuff in case you clip something solid. That's all I used on my Starcraft and it works nice.
Nice progress!
Cheers
GO
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:41 AM
Straight up is all I ask
Fairfield Ct USA
Joined Apr 2002
2,323 Posts
Ha ha those ujoints make good ballast for a top heavy boat . Also I have a little bit of binding on the starbord side shaft , could be ujoint or shaft . Where can I get the silicone G-O It's good to have options
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:50 AM
Straight up is all I ask
Fairfield Ct USA
Joined Apr 2002
2,323 Posts
I am looking for good ideas for rudder linkage . I am using the same carbon 2mm shaft and brass tube . Would like to find 2mm hardware . I will be mounting the servo foreward as possible to avoid slosh .
Old Mar 17, 2013, 11:31 AM
Canada, ON, Quinte West
Joined Feb 2009
952 Posts
Sorry, I forgot to respond after I read your post, the silicone tubing I used was just the fuel line at the hobby shop, just check its fit on a 1/16th rod for a grip, there really isn't a whole lot of torque, just have to minimize the gap between the motor and the shaft. If I have a pic of what I used in the Starcraft for steering linkage, I'll post it. But I used the micro clevis's that just clip onto a bent piece of rod, my horn was soldered on to the out drive. You will have to figure something out, I know you can get Dubro shaft collars and replace the set screw with a longer screw you can attach a horn/Clevis to somehow

Cheers
Hope to see some pics

G-O
Old Mar 18, 2013, 09:30 AM
Straight up is all I ask
Fairfield Ct USA
Joined Apr 2002
2,323 Posts
If they have shaft collars in 2mm that would solve my problem . It would be great to be able to drop the rudders out when I work on the props and shafts . I have been a little hung up on this , I dont want to build the floor until all the obstacles are in.
I have done a small sea test in the tub . So far everything checks out . Low speed control is good considering it has a slight bind in one of the shafts . It has plenty of power to plane off . I ran it on a 2 cell lithium . If I need to tone it down I can use a 1 cell battery .
Old Mar 18, 2013, 03:52 PM
Sometimes I am the weapon
South Korea, Gyeonggi-do, Ansan-si
Joined Jan 2006
1,064 Posts
A short search shows that Cornwall Model Boats has 2mm locking collars that would suit your application. Just solder a tiller arm made from brass sheet onto each collar and you'd have a sturdy rudder linkage. Not sure if there's any other sources closer than the UK.

This build log is great, love the conversion. What's the specs/model number of these particular motors? I'm looking for small motors for a 12" patrol boat of similar displacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmolwitz View Post
If they have shaft collars in 2mm that would solve my problem . It would be great to be able to drop the rudders out when I work on the props and shafts . I have been a little hung up on this , I dont want to build the floor until all the obstacles are in.
Harquebus is offline Find More Posts by Harquebus
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 20, 2013, 09:01 AM
Straight up is all I ask
Fairfield Ct USA
Joined Apr 2002
2,323 Posts
Thanks Harquebus ! The motors are eflite park 250's 2200 kv and about 15 grams, if I could do it over again I might choose something more like 1500kv .
Old Mar 27, 2013, 06:29 PM
Straight up is all I ask
Fairfield Ct USA
Joined Apr 2002
2,323 Posts
Cornwall is out of those collars have to keep checking stock .
Old Mar 27, 2013, 10:22 PM
Douce france cher pays de
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jun 2007
322 Posts
flea..bay and some online hobby store carry them in the us, I think the 1/8" is what you'
ll be looking at
Le petit normand is offline Find More Posts by Le petit normand
Old Mar 28, 2013, 01:45 AM
Sometimes I am the weapon
South Korea, Gyeonggi-do, Ansan-si
Joined Jan 2006
1,064 Posts
Well, the problem might be that you're trying to adapt a sort of generic item into a specialized item (rudder tiller arm).

For my Lindberg boat conversions, I use 1/8" brass rod for the rudder shaft and have typically used a Carl Goldberg 1/8" Nylon Steering Arm attached to the shaft. Tighten the set screw and you're all set. It has a separate insert collar that bears the load. Not sure if they make a metric version in 2mm but that's what I've used.
Harquebus is offline Find More Posts by Harquebus
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 29, 2013, 09:15 AM
Straight up is all I ask
Fairfield Ct USA
Joined Apr 2002
2,323 Posts
I have found a universal that I can split and bush out each half . The locking collars were nice .