New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 25, 2004, 06:53 PM
Find More Posts by Miami Mike
Pompano Hill Flyers
Miami Lakes, Florida, USA
Joined Mar 2003
8,494 Posts
Omei Anyone? - Part 2!

This is Part 2 of the "Omei Anyone" thread originally started by Dean.roberts back on December 10, 2003. The original thread has reached 500 posts.
Miami Mike is offline Find More Posts by Miami Mike
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 25, 2004, 08:43 PM
Find More Posts by oscarmeyer
Drive anywhere to fly.
United States, CA, Irvine
Joined Aug 2004
327 Posts
Omei CG

Is the CG on the Omei about 2.56" back from the leading edge of the wing?
oscarmeyer is offline Find More Posts by oscarmeyer
Old Aug 25, 2004, 08:53 PM
Find More Posts by WingMan33
Chicagoland Area
Joined Oct 2003
412 Posts
Its windy here so I run mine a little nose heavy for better penetration more Like 2 inches back. also Nomad Though the stock motor is sad you can get by with it if you get a good Graupner Prop 8-4 with a 3mm shank and a MP jet hub and cone (Aircraft world) has both and some lite cells like 1100GP in say a eight pack. This is a rock bottom cheap set up. also these items can be used wene you up grade further.
WingMan33 is offline Find More Posts by WingMan33
Last edited by WingMan33; Aug 25, 2004 at 09:02 PM.
Old Aug 25, 2004, 09:22 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Joined Mar 2003
8,494 Posts
The instructions say the CG goes from 63 to 65 mm back from the leading edge. If you don't have a metric ruler then start at 2-1/2 inches. My CG eventually wound up farther back.
Old Aug 26, 2004, 01:54 AM
Find More Posts by epwierman
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2004
3,095 Posts
Bought an Omei on Ebay; couldn't resist the price. Great lines and really neat looking. I decided to do this ultra cheap and only use leftover parts I had laying around since I allready have a high dollar hotliner in progrss.

After checking out the kit and other posted reviews/experiences, I decided to keep it light weight.

I built it, flew it, made some mods and here are the highlights of what I came up with.

-added a carbon rod (additional spar) when joining the wings, fits forward in the laser cut rib channel aft of the main spar (where the servo wires are routed), from servo bay to servo bay; it took a while to get the 12 min epoxy into all the rib contact points before sliding it in to a perfect fit; used a smaller diameter dowel to apply th epoxy.
-fuse to wing connections looked scary(weak), major reinforcement is in order if you wish to do any aerobatics, light glass with CA is quick, I'd opt for epoxy next time however to avoid mt brittle fix.
-put a brushless Astroflight 020 and gear reduction (superbox, not sure of the ratio) on 10 x 500ar cells. That give it 150 - 18- watts, keeps it light and fun.
-added a piece of balsa sheet to the aileron trailing edge (simply taped it on) to increase the control size and roll authority (added about 30% to aileron size). Also needed differential aileron mixing for clean coordinated turns.
-Hitecj HS55 servos
-ballast is great for windy days and sloping, but crefull on the pull ups (If the wing is flexing, I figure I'm pulling to hard)

Result: It's a definite "Fun Flyer"; good thermal ship (thermals tightly, almost on it's own), flies really slow when needed (tight approaches are no problem!), great with gentle aerobatics, penetrates really well considering it's overall versatility, is light weight and has really gentle stall characteristics (fair amount of wing waskout).

Although it has race like F5B looks, it's not a hotliner (I really caution making it into one). It's very relaxing to fly; perhaps this is warm lining. It looks good in the air, flies really nicely with it's light weight RG15 wing, is very stable throughout a stall (has little to no roll tendency.

Summary; it's a joy to fly and a definite keeper! It's my high performance "parkflyer".

I hope this helps you Omei buiders/pilots out there in cyberspace.
epwierman is offline Find More Posts by epwierman
Old Aug 26, 2004, 08:37 AM
Find More Posts by guymon
Joined Aug 2004
38 Posts
epwierman, you said

Quote:
Originally Posted by epwierman
Also needed differential aileron mixing for clean coordinated turns.
Can you tell us what percentatges you used for this or explain a littel better for us novices.
guymon is offline Find More Posts by guymon
Old Aug 26, 2004, 10:12 AM
Find More Posts by oscarmeyer
Drive anywhere to fly.
United States, CA, Irvine
Joined Aug 2004
327 Posts
Omei twisted fuse

I have one of those Omeis with the twisted fuse. If you sight down the nose, the verticle stab is leaning towards the left. I got everything built and installed. How do I fix this? Can some shims be made to go under the wing where it sits on top of the fuse?
oscarmeyer is offline Find More Posts by oscarmeyer
Old Aug 26, 2004, 11:04 AM
Find More Posts by Joel Shreenan
United States, GA, Flowery Branch
Joined May 2001
1,345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarmeyer
I have one of those Omeis with the twisted fuse. If you sight down the nose, the verticle stab is leaning towards the left. I got everything built and installed. How do I fix this? Can some shims be made to go under the wing where it sits on top of the fuse?
Sure. Shims are good, but don't allow the shim to cause a significant change in the wing's incidence (raising the trailing edge too much). I recommend a strip of self-stick foam wing saddle tape on the fuse under the low wing. But I think the issue of the left-leaning vertical stab isn't that important. Even though it leans off to the side, it still does a good job of steering the plane straight (which is its purpose). It just looks funny up close. You hardly notice it when the plane is only a speck in the sky.

A better solution is to build and mount the wing first before you glue the horizontal stab to the fuse. You can then use thin (1/64") plywood shims to get the stab to align with the wing while the epoxy cures. Plastic coated playing cards make good shim material, too.

I'd bet that there are many Omeis flying successfully now even though their wing and stab are not in good visual alignment. The model responds well to transmitter trim adjustments made to correct for minor alignment problems.
Joel Shreenan is offline Find More Posts by Joel Shreenan
Old Aug 27, 2004, 02:24 AM
Find More Posts by kevin.thomson
York
Joined Aug 2003
45 Posts
Wing advice

I'm interested in buying an Omei - ZB from esprit models says it has a wing that breaks down into two pieces, but most people in this thread appear to be permanently joining the wings. Can the Omei be flown with the wing as two piece for breakdown or is the wing designed to be permanently joined?.

Thanks,

Kev..
kevin.thomson is offline Find More Posts by kevin.thomson
Old Aug 27, 2004, 04:05 AM
Find More Posts by 207
Unreconstructed
Chickamauga, GA
Joined Jul 2004
234 Posts
I don't think the Omei is designed as a two piece wing (at least mine wasn't). Join the wing with epoxy and glass over the joint. I would also recommend dowels from the leading edge penetrating the forward portion of the wing saddle. I believe several people here have performed these reinforcements on their Omei's. It's worked good for me so far.
207 is offline Find More Posts by 207
Old Aug 27, 2004, 06:59 AM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Joined Mar 2003
8,494 Posts
The instructions have lots of pictures but not much English text, and what text they have is poorly translated, but there's one warning that appears four times on three different pages:

"Warning!
Ensure the wing joints are glued securely.
These joints are under high load
during flight and any failure could
result in severe accidents!"

The Omei is most assuredly NOT designed to have a two-piece wing. Among other problems you'd have, the tiny wing joiner would flop around inside the joint and the wing would flap up and down like a bird. You might be able to come up with a way to make it two-piece, but it would require some major re-engineering.

I suggest doing a search for other posts by and about ZB ("modest-master") in the Vendors forum.
Old Aug 27, 2004, 07:15 AM
Find More Posts by kevin.thomson
York
Joined Aug 2003
45 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys - wish I had asked you earlier as I just placed my max bid on ebay today believing ZB. A one piece wing will be a hassle for me as I only have a small car and I find it a hassle even with my one piece 1.5m wings. Oh well I could just keep it to give to my dad as an xmas gift

has anyone successfully managed to make the Omei wing two piece? I'd imagine a metal shaft would need to be inserted into each wing with something like an 8mm steel rod connecting the two?

K
kevin.thomson is offline Find More Posts by kevin.thomson
Old Aug 27, 2004, 08:44 AM
Chicagoland Area
Joined Oct 2003
412 Posts
One more new one a 05 Cobalt 5 turn motor with a 3-1 all metal Cermark gear drive .on TEN GP 1100 cell LMR but hot and fast. Sorry One picture of one of my daughters she got her hands on my camer!!
Last edited by WingMan33; Aug 27, 2004 at 08:47 AM.
Old Aug 27, 2004, 08:48 AM
Chicagoland Area
Joined Oct 2003
412 Posts
Some more pics .shows the added carbon spare down the tail tube .larger wing wahers and Areonaut props with a wider blade for better bite.
Last edited by WingMan33; Aug 27, 2004 at 04:57 PM.
Old Aug 27, 2004, 12:36 PM
Find More Posts by Joel Shreenan
United States, GA, Flowery Branch
Joined May 2001
1,345 Posts
Wingman: Nice job on your Omei...

And I especially like your Swiss cheese canopy! However, I recommend that you replace your metal wing hold down bolts with nylon ones. If you catch a wing while landing, the nylon bolts will shear and allow the wing to separate from the fuse, preventing major damage to the wing and fuse. With metal bolts, the wing will get torn off the fuse and require major repair. I've never used the metal bolts and blind nuts that come with the kit. I'm using 3/4"-long 8x32 nylon bolts with like-sized blind nuts that I got from my local Lowe's. I had an incident where the wing struck a patch of high weeds and broke away from the fuse. Other than some scuff marks on the fuse, everything was fine. I just had to use two new nylon bolts. -JS
Joel Shreenan is offline Find More Posts by Joel Shreenan