Old Aug 10, 2015, 09:38 AM
Find More Posts by 6KillaBC
DareDevil
Australia, VIC, Windsor
Joined Jul 2015
376 Posts
Question
FPV Camera/Transmitter-How to connect?

Hey everyone, this is my first thread, it had to be done for i've spent a little time on youtube trying to figure this out, but being new to this i simply have no idea what i'm doing in regards to connecting the fpv camera to the transmitter i have here. It shed a little light on what i need to do, but the wires on this transmitter have me a little confused, for most of the videos i've seen....seem to be all plug and play.

I'm trying to figure out how to connect the PZ0420M 600TVL Sony Super Camera to the transmitter.
The bunch of wires(x5) running from the transmitter pictured below, do i need to buy a special plug or something for them? The videos i've seen seemed to all be very straight forward in the way they connected, but with mine i can't seem to figure it out for i never found a how to connect video for my camera.

I think the red plug is for the main power being red/black, and from what i saw i need to run a similar wire/connection from the PDB to connect to that, so in my case do the x5 and currently exposed wires need to be soldered onto the PDB, or do i need to solder on a plug or something? But if so where would it go? I've seen videos where they can simply connect the transmitter and camera, and then connect a lipo and power the camera on.

The black plug pictured, would that slot into the receiver? Sure looks like a receiver plug?

Thanks for any help. I really didnt want to have to ask this, but i'm stumped.

EDIT-The 5 wires that are exposed, surely they have to somehow connect to the camera, but there is nowhere for them to go, so would i need an adapter or harness to run into the set of wires which run from the camera?

OMG i just turned the packaging over of the receiver and saw the diagram...i need a special plug...damn.
6KillaBC is offline Find More Posts by 6KillaBC
Last edited by 6KillaBC; Aug 17, 2015 at 05:17 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2015, 10:03 AM
Find More Posts by pukington
Australia, NSW, Balmain
Joined Feb 2015
26 Posts
The red and black on the vtx is for power to the vtx, hence the gnd and batt printed on it. The next is blank, then i think it has audL and audR which i would take for audio left/right. I can't see the writing on the vtx as you've covered it by the camera, but usually yellow is the video signal, red is power and black is ground to the camera.

Check the pinout for the camera, usually it'll tell you but its worth checking, HK had a camera that had the wrong wires coming out of it and resulted in lots of people smoking them.

So as a good guess, the red (batt) and black (gnd) to your battery or quad power source, make sure it's the right voltage. Then ignore the audio wires, and just use the yellow to the camera for video signal, red for power to camera and black to ground on camera. But i'll say it again, find the pinout diagram for the camera connector and make sure they line up as they should. You may have to cut and solder as appropriate.

edit, thanks to Oscar for the picture of the manual, if you refer to it, looks like the colour wires match the right spots on the plug.
http://blog.oscarliang.net/ctt/uploa...a-manual-2.jpg

You don't need a special plug, just cut the plug from the camera and solder to the wires with plugs that are currently plugged into the vtx.
pukington is offline Find More Posts by pukington
Last edited by pukington; Aug 10, 2015 at 10:14 AM.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 03:50 PM
DareDevil
Australia, VIC, Windsor
Joined Jul 2015
376 Posts
Thank you for your help Pukington greatly appreciate it mate.
When it comes to electrical wiring, my brain just freezes.

Didn't realize i covered the vitals in that pic, sorry about that.
The regular photo uploader i use seems to have gone weird, used another one but can't get the size right.

I have the instructions here, but they are a little confusing for my camera is inside a hard case, where the instructions show it exposed, and they also show 3 different versions to the camera, so for someone like me, it really didn't help at all, but i know what to do now so thank you again mate.

Will just chop that plug off from the camera and solder the red/black & yellow wires from them to the vtx.
Last edited by 6KillaBC; Aug 10, 2015 at 04:02 PM.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 04:35 PM
Find More Posts by raptorfitz
Toowoomba QLD
Joined Mar 2010
114 Posts
Just a couple of additional points to expand on what advice yoh have already received. Please verify what voltage your camera is (12 or 5 v), that will determine which red wire you have to use. Also i wouldn't cut the connectors off i would solder the opposite sex JST and servo plug on the wires, it makes fault finding and equipment swap out easier. Soldering all wires together is alot easier though.

I always use 12 v cameras so I incorporate the red and black from the JST plug and the yellow wire from thr VTX into a female servo plug which inturn plugs into the male servo plug from the camera. I never use the audio wires so they are folded up with the 5 v supply and heat shrunk.

Dont forget about power filtering of some kind be it on the PDB or a separate inline filter.

I hope this helps.

Glenn
raptorfitz is offline Find More Posts by raptorfitz
Last edited by raptorfitz; Aug 10, 2015 at 04:52 PM.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 05:27 PM
DareDevil
Australia, VIC, Windsor
Joined Jul 2015
376 Posts
Hi Raptor, camera says 5v-20v.

To be honest i'm a little out of my league here, if i knew it was going to be like this, i think i would have gone the RTF route...i just dont know what i'm doing..would a hobby shop be able to do this for me would you think?

Soon as i read power filtering, i threw everything back into the box, its simply too confusing for me.

This is the camera i have-
http://www.dronematters.com/fpv/came...cd-camera.html

I just need to read more about it for i can't wrap my head around it yet, i feel like a real dumb arse ha ha.
Last edited by 6KillaBC; Aug 10, 2015 at 05:36 PM.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 05:51 PM
DareDevil
Australia, VIC, Windsor
Joined Jul 2015
376 Posts
Ok starting to wrap my head around it now, and i read your post again Raptor, so i'm beginning to get my brain to work! : )

I will run the 5v power because that will give me the filtering i need.

Thanks for the help guys.
Last edited by 6KillaBC; Aug 10, 2015 at 06:15 PM.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 07:09 PM
DareDevil
Australia, VIC, Windsor
Joined Jul 2015
376 Posts
Could admin please remove this thread or move it to Multirotor Beginner?

I posted in the wrong section.

Thank you : )
Old Aug 10, 2015, 07:48 PM
Australia, NSW, Balmain
Joined Feb 2015
26 Posts
Glad Raptor jumped in and elaborated, I just reread my post, somewhat fuzzy from far too much rum!

It's pretty straightforward once you get your head around and understand it. The VTX has two sides, the left pins for power to the vtx, the right side the connection to the camera. So basically the You provide power to the VTX which in tern, filters and powers the camera and receives the video back. The Audio lines don't exist as we don't use audio in the fpv world. The colours of the wires on the camera should just connect with the wires from the vtx with colours matching on the right side of the vtx. If you solder anything, make sure that you use heatshrink to seal and protect the joins.

Best of luck, glad you got it worked out.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 08:02 PM
DareDevil
Australia, VIC, Windsor
Joined Jul 2015
376 Posts
Thanks mate, yep had it all worked out, but now realized if i want to run 4S which i will want to eventually, i would have to do something different, but for now will just set it up for 3S.

I had a close look at the vtx and saw it was telling me what i needed, i just never bothered to look that close! Good to know about the audio, but the one thing i'm confused about now is about the programming wire that came with it for if i unplug the camera to put the programmer in, the camera would no longer have power, so will just run it on its default settings.

This is the cord to adjust settings within the camera, but if i remove the power from the camera because it will be all soldered, i wont be able to adjust the settings for the camera will be without power, the older cameras had 3 outlets, mine only has the one, so what would i need to able to run this cable to adjust the settings?

Do i need to buy a servo lead or something? Was hoping to just connect everything without having to get extra cable, adapters, etc.

Also do you know what the larger plugs are for? Do they connect to a television or something?

The manual that comes with it is not that good, doesn't tell me anything about how to connect anything which is just weird, i'm a noob at this so for someone like me its just a little frustrating.
Last edited by 6KillaBC; Aug 10, 2015 at 08:16 PM.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 09:00 PM
Australia, NSW, Balmain
Joined Feb 2015
26 Posts
It's hard to see what those plugs are, but i imagine one is a large jack plug for power, and the other may either be coax or a variant of for plugging into a tv, as it is a cctv camera at the end of the day. I'm not sure about the programming plug, i haven't the same and never looked at it unless you can plug in some form of plugs, maybe a servo lead that has a y splitter and a female/male variant. I wont lie, i don't know.

If you wish to use 4s rather than 3s it is a straight forward procedure to sort out, you just need to understand it again.

So the VTX runs on 7-12v, and a 4s battery is 14.8v, obviously it's too much. You need to convert that input voltage from the 14.8v down to anything less than 12v. To do this you need a step down regulator (steps the voltage down), something like this: https://www.pololu.com/product/2108 Polulu's are tiny, and do the biz great, it's what we all use on nucelus pdb's and most 4s builds.

All you have to do, is take the lead that goes into your vbatt and insert the polulu inline, so from the battery take the positive, put it to the vin on the polulu and then the vout into your vtx vbat pin. You need to provide the polulu a ground, so it has a reference point. So i would take a y lead from the gnd pin and solder it in. Then wrap it in heatshrink and forget about it.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 09:08 PM
DareDevil
Australia, VIC, Windsor
Joined Jul 2015
376 Posts
No worries thanks again mate, those plugs didnt fit anywhere on my tv, so not sure about them..i'll be running 3S to start with so will just leave as is. I'll just wait until my frame arrives for it comes with the PDB and will go from there, would have been nice to simply power the camera on and adjust the settings, but its been 4hrs and i'm still nowhere so going to leave it for today, thanks again for your help.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 09:12 PM
Australia, NSW, Balmain
Joined Feb 2015
26 Posts
Slight offtopic here, also, don't feel like you're getting out of your depth at all. Most of us had little knowledge of stuff like this when we started. I have some electronics background but still learnt a great deal, we live in the age where information is so easily available and there are so many people that are willing to help and lend an ear, just need to ask. It's good fun, as you can get sucked more into it. Playing with all this has made me get my raspberry pi's and arduino's out of the cupboard and mess about with them again, whilst i'm waiting on some fpv bits i'm playing with a moveing camera timelapse system. My mrs thinks i'm nuts.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 10:04 PM
Find More Posts by raptorfitz
Toowoomba QLD
Joined Mar 2010
114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6KillaBC View Post
To be honest i'm a little out of my league here, if i knew it was going to be like this, i think i would have gone the RTF route...i just dont know what i'm doing..would a hobby shop be able to do this for me would you think?
We are all out of our comfort zone when we start this FPV journey. I have been flying RC for 20 years but that didn't prepare me for all the electronics involved with FPV. But I asked a lot of questions and did a lot of reading and now I am comfortable with the technology.

Quote:
Soon as i read power filtering, i threw everything back into the box, its simply too confusing for me.
I have noticed your name over at the Melbourne Multirotor thread so I am guessing that your first FPV vehicle is going to be a 250 size quad, am I right? If so you may not need power filtering but more likely you will. I personally use a PDB with built in filtering from Buzz Hobbies it also has a couple of 12 volt lines out which help for when you goo to 4S. The above PDB has a 36 mm footprint so it fits nicely under a Naze board.

Quote:
I just need to read more about it for i can't wrap my head around it yet, i feel like a real dumb arse ha ha.
Do you have anyone in your locality that does FPV as they could be a great help. Do not go down the RTF route as the best way to learn is to build from the ground up which also gives you the experience to repair the quad when it breaks.

Remember the only stupid question is the one you don"t ask. There is so much knowledge and people that are willing to help within this forum

Glenn
raptorfitz is offline Find More Posts by raptorfitz
Old Aug 11, 2015, 12:31 AM
DareDevil
Australia, VIC, Windsor
Joined Jul 2015
376 Posts
I actually called a friend of mine earlier today for he is very tech minded, didn't even think to call him..anyway after a 5min phone call he explained everything to me. also realized i wont get any video feed unless i have the receiver and the goggles, so without them i simply wont be able to adjust the camera settings, so goggs should arrive tomorrow hopefully.

With the help of you guys i managed to get power with a 3S 1350mah lipo to the VTX and i made sure the aerial was plugged in, and i ordered the 5v-12v regulator today from a guy in Melbourne from ebay, he posted that quickly express, so i'll have that tomorrow.

Will wait until that arrives before i connect the camera, and hopefully the goggles arrives so i can view the camera feed and adjust the settings.

Thanks again guys.

Yeah Glenn its a 250 quad frame i'm building, if you have time check out my blog and you'll see my build list and me blabbering a little about it. Yeah i'm happy i decided to build it instead of RTF..but earlier today i was feeling like an idiot and way over my head, but after some help and looking at the whole picture, in the end its fairly straight forward.

My frame has the PDB with it, so thats good, if anything i'll be confused on how to connect the esc's and even the LED lights.

Glenn thank you for your PM, i'll be sending you a PM when i need help again and wont make another thread, will save me from embarrassment also! Cheers mate really nice of you.\

Checked the specs on the sony cam, it can handle 4S so dont need a regulator.
Last edited by 6KillaBC; Aug 12, 2015 at 12:52 AM.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 08:47 AM
Find More Posts by dinoN17
To Dare is To Do
Joined Sep 2013
8 Posts
Quote:

Also do you know what the larger plugs are for? Do they connect to a television or something?

The manual that comes with it is not that good, doesn't tell me anything about how to connect anything which is just weird, i'm a noob at this so for someone like me its just a little frustrating.
That plug is for cctv connection one for power the other for video, hope it answer the curiosity. Good luck with your quad

Cheers
dinoN17 is online now Find More Posts by dinoN17