New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 19, 2015, 08:10 AM
Find More Posts by Theinventor10
Joined Jan 2015
11 Posts
Discussion
Flipping Issues

My hexacopter, F550 with ardupilot software has recently been flipping over when i attempt to fly, my first test flight was unsuccessful, all calibrations completed correctly and correct inputs to my flight controller, correct motor direction spinning and correct propeller, does anyone have any suggestions?
Theinventor10 is offline Find More Posts by Theinventor10
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 19, 2015, 12:10 PM
Find More Posts by nvpowerdoc
Joined Sep 2014
57 Posts
Which version of ArduCopter are you using (cause you state Ardupilot)?

When you do the motor test sequence in MissionPlanner, it is not the same order as DJI Naza. Motor position on ArduCopter (Pixhawk / APM) is quite different. Check the picture below for motor rotation and/or the link here:

http://copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/ini...p/motor-setup/

Also, are taking off in STABILIZE mode, or one of the other GPS based flight modes? You should always take-off in STAB mode, then switch to another flight mode (there are reasons for doing this, e.g., it sets the THR_MID setting based on the weight of the multi-rotor to maintain a hover).

This is the most common reason for FLIPs.
nvpowerdoc is offline Find More Posts by nvpowerdoc
Old Feb 19, 2015, 04:32 PM
Joined Jan 2015
11 Posts
my motors spin the way in your diagram, for flight modes I set them all to fail safe, but however I have no idea which button on my transmitter/controller < it's Turnigy 9x> changes the flight mode or which channel, is this something that I should be concerned of, or does it effect flipping?
I will upload a picture of my Turnigy 9x in channel 5,6,7,8, and 9 set mode, it is set to <Thro Hold> I have no idea what it means though.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 04:38 PM
Joined Jan 2015
11 Posts
Channel 5,6,7,8,9 on Turnigy, picture

I attached the picture as a file
Old Feb 19, 2015, 04:40 PM
Joined Jan 2015
11 Posts
My mission planner version is 1.3.19 and ardupilot flight controller is 2.6.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 06:08 PM
Find More Posts by nvpowerdoc
Joined Sep 2014
57 Posts
I can only be of little help on the Turnigy TX portion of your question. Channels 5-8 should / can have programming set on each channel. CH5 is used to select your flight mode(s) such as Loiter (GPS), PosHold (GPS based), Alt-Hold, Stabilize, etc. This is selectable in Mission Planner, and CH5 should be assigned to a 3-position switch on your TX. Channel 7 on your TX can be used for Super-Simple Mode (set in Mission Planner and is for stick flying relative to the pilot rather than the multi-rotor). You would assign this to a two-position switch on your TX. Channel 8 can be used for Auto-Tune, same process. I can't tell you how to assign switches to channels on your TX, but it has to match what is happening in Mission Planner.

As far as flipping, this wouldn't necessarily be caused by the lack of switch settings on your TX, but if nothing is assigned, maybe the multi-rotor is trying to fly in ACRO mode, and is a non-stabilized flight mode (and if you aren't skilled in this mode, it will likely flip on take off).

Have you visited the DIYDRONES.com site? Lot's of info over there.

Also, have you performed all of the calibrations in Mission Planner? Start here: http://copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/initial-setup/
nvpowerdoc is offline Find More Posts by nvpowerdoc