Jun 17, 2010, 01:30 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

how to store my lipo battery

i want to know The best way to Storage my batteries because I will travel for a period of 4 months

I am new to dealing with lithium batteries

I look forward to the answers of experts

tanks
to remove ads between posts
Jun 17, 2010, 02:09 PM
AMA #953123
Store them at 3.8v to 3.85v per cell in a fireproof container or lipo storage bag away from walls or other flammable items.

I store mine in an old Crock Pot in the center of a concrete floor in my shop.
Jun 17, 2010, 02:52 PM
Thread OP
Thank you very much
Jun 17, 2010, 03:04 PM
Surface, Air & Water Rc Toys..
lol, like mention above 3.85 is the recommended storage charge if your not going to be using it for awhile. Cool dry place is all you need to store them, the rest is extra precaution if you want it.

They wont just explode for no reason, they may swell a bit if not stored properly but thats about it.
Jun 17, 2010, 04:04 PM
AMA #953123
Im a little gun shy of these batteries. After a few years I might trust them a little more but with my limited experience with them I would rather be safe then sorry.
Jun 17, 2010, 04:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VROOMSTER
I would rather be safe then sorry.
For sure and nothing wrong with that.
Jun 17, 2010, 05:28 PM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
Keep them in a lipo sac with nothing around that can burn.
Jun 17, 2010, 07:00 PM
Happiness is a belt fed weapon
Ammo cans are a good cheap way to store them.
Jun 17, 2010, 07:24 PM
Are we having fun yet?
Quote:
Originally Posted by VROOMSTER
I store mine in an old Crock Pot in the center of a concrete floor in my shop.
Good Idea! Wonder what'll happen when she figures out her crockpot is missing.

We do have an old one the thermostat went out on that we use at parties just to keep things warm...
Jun 17, 2010, 10:42 PM
Would it be overkill to line the ammo box with 1/2" drywall? I'm thinking that if the battery did catch fire it would generate a lot of heat that would be absorbed by the metal walls of the ammo box.
Jun 17, 2010, 11:23 PM
Happiness is a belt fed weapon
No such thing as over kill. You'd wanna go with a .50 cal ammo box to make up for the lost space the drywall is gonna take up. Unless you're using 6s 5000 mAh batts, the can will take the abuse.
Jun 18, 2010, 01:25 AM
Cleared2Engage, thanks for the info.
Jun 18, 2010, 01:58 AM
You may be interested to know that some of the chargers notably SJ/Fusion (same casing different names) and Hyperion have a "store" program. This lets you just discharge down to 60% which is reckoned to be the ideal and the program cuts off at that point.

I might also suggest that almost all of the scares or fires have been down to the basic refusal of modellers to either read the instructions or take care in use. I have actually seen someone who had a puffed pack choose to connect it up to a charge in the assumption that he might be able to do another charge and another flight. One wonders if he does that in his house as well as at the field and yes, he was stopped.

Always treat all LiPos and other packs with respect but if you have good equipment you should not need to be scared.
Jun 18, 2010, 05:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hipperson
This lets you just discharge down to 60% which is reckoned to be the ideal and the program cuts off at that point.
Storage feature on my charger will not only discharge down to 3.85v per cell but it will also charge if the pack was lower to start with.

Quick Reply