Old May 14, 2015, 04:06 PM
Find More Posts by FPVsummituk
FPVRockApe on YouTube.
United Kingdom, Rayleigh
Joined Jan 2012
3,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Bullit View Post
Just plug the video feed from your 1.3/900 onto your Quanums.
That is the quick and easy way, but you end up tethered to your GS.......so.......you have your 5.8ghz Tx, so connect your 1.3ghz Rx to the 5.8ghz Tx and let it send the signal to your goggles.......no connecting lead........but also........no extra cost, and you are free to set your GS in the best position, while you sit in the shade nice and comfortable.
Here are a couple of photos of my GS setup.
FPVsummituk is offline Find More Posts by FPVsummituk
Last edited by FPVsummituk; May 14, 2015 at 04:17 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 14, 2015, 04:30 PM
Find More Posts by Deves
Sunny So Cal.
Joined Oct 2005
217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPVsummituk View Post
That is the quick and easy way, but you end up tethered to your GS.......so.......you have your 5.8ghz Tx, so connect your 1.3ghz Rx to the 5.8ghz Tx and let it send the signal to your goggles.......no connecting lead........but also........no extra cost, and you are free to set your GS in the best position, while you sit in the shade nice and comfortable.
Here are a couple of photos of my GS setup.
I'm trying to understand this...Wouldn't I need to get a new 1.3ghz transmitter for my truck and a 1.3 receiver? I guess I could put the receiver directly on the goggles but don't I need to build a ground station for better signal penetration?

If so how do I relay the the signal from the 1.3ghz receiver on the ground station to the 5.8 on my goggles wirelessly? Still
Deves is offline Find More Posts by Deves
Old May 14, 2015, 04:51 PM
Find More Posts by Deves
Sunny So Cal.
Joined Oct 2005
217 Posts
Ok wait..after reviewing your pictures...Tell me if this is close...Since I'm using a gopro for camera and recording I get a 900-1.3 transmitter for the truck and put the 900-1.3 receiver on a ground station. Then wire it from the video out to the 5.8 transmitter. That sends the signal to the 5.8 receiver on my goggles.

Now this whole program will only work if I'm more or less within line of sight to the ground station right?

Otherwise just bolt the new receiver on the goggles and go play....

So which one is the better setup?

I'm sure this has all been discussed somewhere in this forum but it would probably take me weeks to find anything. If anyone has some links to great information please pass it on to me.

Thank you!
Last edited by Deves; May 14, 2015 at 10:25 PM.
Old May 15, 2015, 09:06 AM
FPVRockApe on YouTube.
United Kingdom, Rayleigh
Joined Jan 2012
3,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deves View Post
Ok wait..after reviewing your pictures...Tell me if this is close...Since I'm using a gopro for camera and recording I get a 900-1.3 transmitter for the truck and put the 900-1.3 receiver on a ground station. Then wire it from the video out to the 5.8 transmitter. That sends the signal to the 5.8 receiver on my goggles.

Now this whole program will only work if I'm more or less within line of sight to the ground station right?

Otherwise just bolt the new receiver on the goggles and go play....

So which one is the better setup?

I'm sure this has all been discussed somewhere in this forum but it would probably take me weeks to find anything. If anyone has some links to great information please pass it on to me.

Thank you!
You're right there........
First connect the truck gopro to the 1.3ghz transmitter mounted on the truck......this sends the signal to the 1.3ghz receiver on the GS, which is linked to the 5.8ghz transmitter mounted next to it........which in turn sends the signal to your 5.8ghz goggles.
Remember, that as your truck video transmitter is so close to the ground, you need to get the GS receiver as high in the air as possible to overcome the undulations in the ground, where your truck would be hidden from view by the high spots of the ground.
I use a 12ft light stand with the GS Antenna mounted at the top of it, but TnT uses a tripod that is way, way higher than that, as the higher the antenna is......the better the signal.
As for the 5.8 signal........well the VTx antenna is also high in the air when using a relay, so your signal to your goggles is also better and with an increased range.
You don't need to be LOS........you just need to be within the range restriction of the 5.8 video setup.
This photo shows the GS with the Antenna and relay mounted high above the ground.
Last edited by FPVsummituk; May 15, 2015 at 09:12 AM.
Old May 15, 2015, 11:24 PM
Find More Posts by Deves
Sunny So Cal.
Joined Oct 2005
217 Posts
FPV summituk thank you for the tips.
Old May 16, 2015, 02:53 AM
Find More Posts by darkelf1000
Dont talk to me , i'm driving!
Joined Oct 2013
420 Posts
Perranporth drive FPV 15-05-15 (15 min 44 sec)

Hey all, heres my lastest run in good old cornwall!
darkelf1000 is offline Find More Posts by darkelf1000
Old May 16, 2015, 03:55 AM
FPVRockApe on YouTube.
United Kingdom, Rayleigh
Joined Jan 2012
3,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkelf1000 View Post
https://youtu.be/mx6EgLQhF2U
Hey all, heres my lastest run in good old cornwall!
Nice run, Darkelf.......weather looks better than here........and the jelly fish sure looks like a monster up against your truck, especially filmed from that low down.
Good steady recording.......looks as if the new tilt servo is working very well.
Old May 16, 2015, 06:27 AM
Joined Oct 2013
420 Posts
it was a BIG jellyfish and caused quite a bit of interest . had to have a drive round it.
Last edited by darkelf1000; May 16, 2015 at 01:01 PM.
Old May 16, 2015, 11:13 AM
Find More Posts by Deves
Sunny So Cal.
Joined Oct 2005
217 Posts
Nice video Darkelf Nice cruise at the beach. Got me thinking about a stick radio. It would be smoother panning back and forth then my current setup...hmmmm
Old May 16, 2015, 01:00 PM
Joined Oct 2013
420 Posts
Quote:
Nice video Darkelf Nice cruise at the beach. Got me thinking about a stick radio. It would be smoother panning back and forth then my current setup...hmmmm
well i have headtracking and could not be without it....its a joy to use!
Old May 17, 2015, 08:15 PM
Find More Posts by Deves
Sunny So Cal.
Joined Oct 2005
217 Posts
Ok so I'm getting bored driving around the pool area on my puny 200mw system on 5.8ghz. I want to go further. Should I get the 800mw 0n 1.3ghz or just spring for the 1500? What do you think I should do?
Old May 17, 2015, 09:16 PM
Find More Posts by sdfgeoff
eS Dee eF ... Geoff!
Joined Oct 2011
75 Posts
I'd suggest:
- Finding a more interesting place to drive.

I test my gear by driving around my house/street, but because I know the area already, it's not as much fun as driving in places I've never seen before.

That said, 5.8ghz is quite limiting. I use 2.4ghz and (as everyone does) wish I could go a little further.

Bear in mind that 2x the power is not 2x the range, but it is 2x the power consumption.
sdfgeoff is offline Find More Posts by sdfgeoff
Old May 18, 2015, 12:51 AM
Find More Posts by Deves
Sunny So Cal.
Joined Oct 2005
217 Posts
I also noticed the picture in my goggles was breaking up at about 100 feet so I definitely want better penetration around objects then what my 5.8 system has.
Old May 18, 2015, 06:21 AM
FPVRockApe on YouTube.
United Kingdom, Rayleigh
Joined Jan 2012
3,185 Posts
Quote:
Ok so I'm getting bored driving around the pool area on my puny 200mw system on 5.8ghz. I want to go further. Should I get the 800mw 0n 1.3ghz or just spring for the 1500? What do you think I should do?
I did a test video a year ago, comparing 5.8ghz video against 1.3ghz, 800 me and 1500mw.
Then one comparing the Omni against the MadMushroom Antenna, and another, comparing the MadMushroon antenna against the Pepperbox.
I now run with 1.3 @ 1500mw. With the Madmushroom on the truck and the Pepperbox on the GS..........this is the best combination that I've found for range and video clarity.
Here are the links......... Hopefully, they will help to answer some of your questions......

RockApe's 1500mw 1 3GHZ VTx Range Test (13 min 23 sec)

RockApe's Omni v Mad Mushroom Antenna Test (14 min 48 sec)

RockApe's Pepperbox Antenna range test @ East Beach 100914 (22 min 49 sec)
Last edited by FPVsummituk; May 18, 2015 at 12:35 PM.
Old May 18, 2015, 08:29 AM
FPVRockApe on YouTube.
United Kingdom, Rayleigh
Joined Jan 2012
3,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdfgeoff View Post
I'd suggest:
- Finding a more interesting place to drive.

I test my gear by driving around my house/street, but because I know the area already, it's not as much fun as driving in places I've never seen before.

That said, 5.8ghz is quite limiting. I use 2.4ghz and (as everyone does) wish I could go a little further.

Bear in mind that 2x the power is not 2x the range, but it is 2x the power consumption.
I did manage to get 0.6 miles out on 2.4ghz control, but it was line of sight, put a tree, wall or house into the mix and you can drop into failsafe mode very quickly.......so I'm afraid that it means getting out the trusty old credit card and shelling out for a UHF system..........now you will be back with equalling the 1.3ghz video range, and both will give you the penetration that you are looking for.
You do need to use a stick controller to add the UHF module to, but then again........if you plan to use head tracker, add a few toys, like controlling lights, horn, waving arms etc.......then you will need 8 channels and switches.......so a aircraft controller is a must anyway...........OH!!!........ummmm!!........more money!!......sorry about that........it's never ending........but boy is it worth it, when you return from a run having been driving out of sight for half an hour.......and baffled several people who just can't workout where you are, but wave to your truck anyway.

The good news is that you don't need to buy an expensive, powerful transmitter, as long as it has 8+ channels and a "buddy port" on the back of it, that will allow you to plug in your UHF module, which will than provide the power and the number of channels that you require, as well as a connection for your head tracker.
Last edited by FPVsummituk; May 19, 2015 at 12:11 PM.