New Products Flash Sale
Old May 20, 2015, 04:17 PM
Find More Posts by mcm1303
Houston, Texas
Joined May 2007
428 Posts
Discussion
Question about boiling water and depron

I've seen references to thermoforming depron using boiling water. What I don't understand though is depron is polystyrene, the same material as used in expanded bead foam drink cups which can safely hold boiling water. Am I missing something?

Edit: Hmm, seems that whatever the case, many folks have thermoformed depron using boiling water. Even in hot tap water seems sufficient. I have an idea in the works and will expand on it here after running some experiements.
mcm1303 is online now Find More Posts by mcm1303
Last edited by mcm1303; May 20, 2015 at 05:32 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 21, 2015, 11:36 AM
Find More Posts by ruzam
Go small or go home
Canada, SK, Regina
Joined Mar 2008
1,524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcm1303 View Post
What I don't understand though is depron is polystyrene, the same material as used in expanded bead foam drink cups which can safely hold boiling water. Am I missing something?
It's the 'same material' but it's not the 'same material'. Like all plastics, variations in chemical composition and additives can be tweaked to provide different properties, like flexibility, UV protection and melting point. The foam drink cup formula is tweaked to stand up to boiling temperatures without deforming. The formula used to make flying aircraft is not. I don't know why. Maybe it allows for manufacturing of more complex shapes. Maybe it's just a cheaper way to form and mold EPS.
ruzam is online now Find More Posts by ruzam
Old Yesterday, 10:09 PM
Find More Posts by Plantoflap
Joined Sep 2003
369 Posts
MacDonalds foam food boxes have plenty of expansion left to build a cambered airfoil wing by bending some Al sheet metal into the camber you desire, then sandwich your foam between the upper and lower metal cambered plates, place rubber bands around it and place in boiling water. The foam gets stronger and stiffer too. The camber is permanent.
Plantoflap is online now Find More Posts by Plantoflap