SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 05, 2015, 01:03 PM
Find More Posts by hychewright
Joined Mar 2015
4 Posts
Discussion
Noob Here Looking for a Foamie

Hello, I am looking for a good beginners foamie that comes with a radio and receiver. You see, I am a multirotor pilot and would like to get my feet wet with a foamie that has room for fpv gear for later on. I fly fpv with my multirotors. Have not flown a RC aircraft in probably 35 years back in the day with a Kraft radio and a high wing balsa trainer. Thanks for any help.
hychewright is offline Find More Posts by hychewright
to remove ads between posts
Old May 05, 2015, 03:02 PM
Find More Posts by Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,704 Posts
For such a set up, I would say look at what Horizon offers. Something like the Super Cub, $200.00 and it's RTF. http://www.horizonhobby.com/super-cu...ogy-p-hbz8100b

May be able to squeeze the FPV into it, but also it would be a good one to learn to fly on. From there, you could easily pick up a kit like the Bixler2 or 3 from Hobby King, makes a heck of a FPV plane. Simply add your own electronics.
Glacier Girl is offline Find More Posts by Glacier Girl
Old May 10, 2015, 09:12 AM
Find More Posts by Ddogxxx
crash test dummy
Joined Jun 2013
45 Posts
How about the SlowStick from GWS.. I havn't done it, but there are quite a few people who have loaded camera gear on it.. But I would give a big thumbs up to the HH Super Cub. Taught myself to fly on that one. Several wings later, a fuse here and there ..hahaha...It was steep learning curve as a do it yourselfer, but I learned a lot. Since you have quad experience, you should be in great shape!

Dog
Ddogxxx is offline Find More Posts by Ddogxxx
Old May 18, 2015, 06:48 PM
Find More Posts by FlyinHiAgain
AvidAirAce
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Mar 2015
10 Posts
A problem that will arise going with the Super Cub as a first fixed-wing aircraft(assuming that you have the controls/orientation down pat from your multi-rotor experience)will be the issue with yaw control now on your right stick instead of the left with your throttle(assuming Mode 2 TX). This is a 3-channel plane WITHOUT ailerons so the rudder is put in place of ailerons on the TX. This is a huge step in the wrong direction for you and will only lengthen your learning curve. You can change the rudder servo position on the RX to put the yaw back on the left stick but now that the Super Cub comes with SAFE I would highly discourage it, SAFE RX's have to be setup per the manual or your just asking for major problems once airborne.

If you haven't already invested in a solid TX I would suggest at the very least a Spektrum DX6i/DX6. If you wanna go the cheaper route, I read good things about FrSky but that's the limit of my experience with them. Whatever you do spend the extra to get a computerized one, the technology is worth every penny. I'm mentioning this because it's tough to buy a quality RTF package with your experience. There are a lot of really good BNFs(everything needed to fly except the transmitter)out there that will suit you great but having a good TX is a really important starting point(it will save you a ton of money to just have 1 these days). So IMHO I would go Spektrum, the customer support is top notch and there are inexpensive 3rd party RXs out there that are just as good if not better than the name brand ones which are just insanely priced.

All in all I would say go with the Parkzone Sport Cub. It's a 4 channel high-wing plane with an easy option to add flaps(just 1 metal-gear servo is required)but she really doesn't need them. Runs on really cheap and popular 1300-2200mAh 3s lipos of which the BNF package comes with 1, 20c 3s 1300mAh and a charger. She even comes with a gyro that doesn't require any setup. If I could go back this would have been what I started with.
Hope this helps.
-tayze
FlyinHiAgain is offline Find More Posts by FlyinHiAgain
Last edited by FlyinHiAgain; May 18, 2015 at 07:56 PM. Reason: forgot key detail