New Products Flash Sale
Old May 18, 2015, 06:19 PM
Find More Posts by mycaptain
United States, MI, Kalamazoo
Joined Jan 2012
461 Posts
I rerouted my rx wire rearward. I feel better about this placement. Could have run it through the vent window outside and down the fuselage. In the old days we ran the long rx wire down inside the fuselage coming out under the tail and about 6 inches dragged on the ground.

Take a look at my rx placement and if ya see anything wrong with it, if so, please let me know.

Probably won't maiden till next week sometime. Happy fly'n... Capt'n
mycaptain is offline Find More Posts by mycaptain
to remove ads between posts
Old May 18, 2015, 06:38 PM
Find More Posts by arthurfuxake
United Kingdom, Basingstoke
Joined Jul 2014
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycaptain View Post
I have cg'd her with a nano-tach 1800 mah battery. Does the battery placement in my pictures look about right for this size battery?
That's about where I have my 2200 nanotech.... almost as far forward as it will go. Mine flies beautifully like that. Any further back and she flies around dragging her tail.
arthurfuxake is offline Find More Posts by arthurfuxake
Old May 18, 2015, 07:46 PM
Joined Jan 2012
461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arthurfuxake View Post
That's about where I have my 2200 nanotech.... almost as far forward as it will go. Mine flies beautifully like that. Any further back and she flies around dragging her tail.
arthurfuxake... I'm happy to hear that your battery is far forward also. I may have to move mine further forward than it is, but I think I'll start where it's at now. Seems funny the battery tray is so far out of wack. Anyways, thanks for the reply and happy fly'n... Capt'n
Last edited by mycaptain; May 19, 2015 at 04:45 AM.
Old May 18, 2015, 07:50 PM
Find More Posts by Clive66
United States, CA, Fontana
Joined May 2011
2,337 Posts
Depends on how you like the plane to fly.
If you don't care about flying inverted a lot, then move the battery forward (It will be nose heavy, but will still fly fine).
You will just need more down elevator when inverted because of being nose heavy.
Flat turns & spins won't be as easy either (nose heavy = less aerobatic)
This is where i put my batteries & mine will fly inverted with little to no elevator input.

I use mostly 1800 mah batteries in mine.
Clive66 is online now Find More Posts by Clive66
Last edited by Clive66; May 18, 2015 at 07:56 PM.
Old May 19, 2015, 01:11 AM
Find More Posts by cmwhite
United States, CA, Westminster
Joined Feb 2010
266 Posts
Cg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive66 View Post
Depends on how you like the plane to fly.
If you don't care about flying inverted a lot, then move the battery forward (It will be nose heavy, but will still fly fine).
You will just need more down elevator when inverted because of being nose heavy.
Flat turns & spins won't be as easy either (nose heavy = less aerobatic)
This is where i put my batteries & mine will fly inverted with little to no elevator input.

I use mostly 1800 mah batteries in mine.
So just how far back is your cg?
cmwhite is offline Find More Posts by cmwhite
Old May 19, 2015, 05:02 AM
Joined Jan 2012
461 Posts
Clive66... Thanks for your reply, I already looked at your battery position pictures in the thread tools a couple of days ago. I didn't know that you posted them. But thanks for posting them. I know I'll move the battery around to my liking, but want to make sure the plane will at least fly on the first flight. I know from past experience that tail heavy planes = don't fly = crash. Been there done that. As far as how I want this plane to fly? Just like it's suppose to, aerobatic of coarse. I'm hoping it flies like my UM Parkzone Polecat, only bigger so I can see it. ha ha!

Thanks to everyone who has commented... Capt'n
Last edited by mycaptain; May 19, 2015 at 05:20 AM.
Old May 19, 2015, 09:00 AM
Find More Posts by kitetricks
Flying Object Crash Tester
United States, WA, Tacoma
Joined Jun 2013
542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycaptain View Post
Clive66... Thanks for your reply, I already looked at your battery position pictures in the thread tools a couple of days ago. I didn't know that you posted them. But thanks for posting them. I know I'll move the battery around to my liking, but want to make sure the plane will at least fly on the first flight. I know from past experience that tail heavy planes = don't fly = crash. Been there done that. As far as how I want this plane to fly? Just like it's suppose to, aerobatic of coarse. I'm hoping it flies like my UM Parkzone Polecat, only bigger so I can see it. ha ha!

Thanks to everyone who has commented... Capt'n
Capt'n I like your receiver mounting should work well for you. Clive66's pictures of battery mounting great since they show you are very workable range.

You don't have to worry about getting the ArtiZan so tail heavy it is hard to fly unless you don't intend to have the battery strap able to touch your battery. Even with Clive's rearward position, all that happens is a little tail settling to a three point landing position as you slow down.

I hadn't thought about it, but the ArtiZan does fly, style wise, like a bulked up Polecat. Where the Polecat is all light, quick and graceful, the ArtiZan while still graceful, has more power for the verticals, ignores winds below 10mph (practically), and has better rudder authority.
kitetricks is online now Find More Posts by kitetricks
Old May 19, 2015, 09:07 AM
Joined May 2011
2,337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwhite View Post
So just how far back is your cg?
With my 5 ounce 1800 mah battery installed as my pic shows, it is right on factory recommended spec (76 mm)
At times, i even move it back a little more (between the marks i put on the side)

IMO, balancing it right on 76mm is probably the best choice (still very stable when landing slow)

Note: the 2200 mah batteries i run at times weigh exactly 6 ounces
Old May 19, 2015, 09:18 AM
Joined May 2011
2,337 Posts
I flew my Artizan in wind yesterday.
The only plane i have that i like better in wind, is my over-powered Fun Cub.

As for the battery strap , i posted earlier that i don't use one now, since i got rid of the worthless plastic tray.
Old May 19, 2015, 06:03 PM
Joined Jan 2012
461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitetricks View Post

I hadn't thought about it, but the ArtiZan does fly, style wise, like a bulked up Polecat. Where the Polecat is all light, quick and graceful, the ArtiZan while still graceful, has more power for the verticals, ignores winds below 10mph (practically), and has better rudder authority.
That little polecat does nice 1/4 turn snap rolls, the best in the business that I know of. I know with a bigger size plane everything is going to be slower, but I should see it better and be able to fly in more wind. Good thing I went to bigger planes a couple years ago, or I wouldn't be fly'n much this year. Wind seems to blow most of the time.

I'm done with the questions and thanks to all of you for your help. I'm ready to fly her next week when I get back from a camping trip... Capt'n
Old May 22, 2015, 09:02 PM
Find More Posts by Creative RC
Canada, NB, Moncton
Joined Apr 2011
84 Posts
Has anyone installed either a Power 10 or 15 in the Artizan?
Creative RC is offline Find More Posts by Creative RC
Old May 22, 2015, 09:30 PM
Joined May 2011
2,337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creative RC View Post
Has anyone installed either a Power 10 or 15 in the Artizan?
I thought about that before i got mine, just like you are.

Now that i have been flying it for over 8 months & hundreds of flights, i'm still loving it stock (haven't even played with prop changes like i usually do).
It is so much fun just the way it is, that i will probably never change the motor.
Speed is not what makes this plane fun (it's the way it flys that makes it fun)
I even have a spare Artizan in the box (i never buy a spare of any plane)

I just charged some batteries to take it out in the morning.

Added: i see you posted on another thread about using stabilization on the Artizan.
It doesn't need that at all.
Mine is the PNP version & I fly it with full throws & 25% expo (very easy & stable plane to fly)
I have flown mine in 10 to 15 mph winds many times with no problem at all.
Last edited by Clive66; May 22, 2015 at 09:54 PM.
Old May 22, 2015, 11:47 PM
Find More Posts by kitetricks
Flying Object Crash Tester
United States, WA, Tacoma
Joined Jun 2013
542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive66 View Post
I thought about that before i got mine, just like you are.

Now that i have been flying it for over 8 months & hundreds of flights, i'm still loving it stock (haven't even played with prop changes like i usually do).
It is so much fun just the way it is, that i will probably never change the motor.
Speed is not what makes this plane fun (it's the way it flys that makes it fun)
I even have a spare Artizan in the box (i never buy a spare of any plane)

I just charged some batteries to take it out in the morning.

Added: i see you posted on another thread about using stabilization on the Artizan.
It doesn't need that at all.
Mine is the PNP version & I fly it with full throws & 25% expo (very easy & stable plane to fly)
I have flown mine in 10 to 15 mph winds many times with no problem at all.
I have the BNF with AX3X. I've put in a standard rx to see the difference on the same day. X-wind coming around the building next to the runway. I preferred the AS3X. The ArtiZan without the stabilization is still a well mannered airplane, with the stabliization it is better mannered. I found I could work more on finesse items. I still had to compensate for wind pushing the airplane around, but it didn't upset the attitude as often so I could straighten the airplane just before touch down and other little things like trying to get the four points of a roll perpendicular rather than close enough.
kitetricks is online now Find More Posts by kitetricks
Old Yesterday, 09:14 AM
Joined May 2011
2,337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitetricks View Post
I have the BNF with AX3X. I've put in a standard rx to see the difference on the same day. X-wind coming around the building next to the runway. I preferred the AS3X. The ArtiZan without the stabilization is still a well mannered airplane, with the stabliization it is better mannered. I found I could work more on finesse items. I still had to compensate for wind pushing the airplane around, but it didn't upset the attitude as often so I could straighten the airplane just before touch down and other little things like trying to get the four points of a roll perpendicular rather than close enough.

I guess if i had to fly in wind a lot, i would try a stabilization system.
The only plane i have with that is a UMX Mig-15.
I'm not against using a stabilization system, just isn't something i have wanted or needed so far.
Having so many choices is what makes this hobby so interesting & fun & in the end, it's all about personal preference.
I have to get away from the computer now (got some flying to do in about an hour)