New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 12, 2015, 10:59 AM
Find More Posts by seldredge
United States, CA, La Honda
Joined May 2014
349 Posts
Another Meridian completed

This thread appears to have died completely, but I'll post this anyhow for future generations.

I finished my Meridian yesterday, although it will be at least a week before I can fly it. I used Spektrum servos, an E-Flite Power 60B 470 KV, Talon 90 ESC, Glacier 5300 6S lipos, and Scorpion Backup Guard, which is has an external switch so I can use it with an ArmSafe. Using a Spektrum AR636 six-channel receiver and satellite. Receiver is programmed with switch-controlled AIL-RUD mix to see if I like it (mixes must be done in RX with 636). Put the lipo in close to the firewall and the plane balanced at about 3.6 inches.

I used the stock motor box but strengthened it with epoxy fillets along the seams and some carbon fiber strips. Per a suggestion from this thread, I also strengthened the landing gear and the box to which it bolts. The ESC sits just behind the firewall under the battery. I opened up the cowl scoop for cooling airflow, and cut out the oval behind the wings for an exit.

The kit itself was pretty good. The covering was as tight as a drum and well sealed. The hardware was not great but OK except for the small screws used for the control horns and servo covers. A number were deformed and unusable and the rest were bad, but I had spares from other planes. Biggest issue was the nose gear. It was a larger diameter than the steering arm.

The not- ready-to fly plane was about 7 1/4 pounds. With drive components and charged electrons it's about 9 1/4 pounds.
seldredge is online now Find More Posts by seldredge
Last edited by seldredge; Feb 21, 2015 at 10:54 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2015, 09:26 PM
Joined May 2014
349 Posts
Maidened my Meridian today

..and came home with the same number of pieces I went with. My first big balsa plane, third plane since foam trainer. What a nice flying plane. At the leisurely pace I flew today, calculations indicate I could fly 18 minutes to 80%. Didn't have to add any trim. Did have to move the battery back a couple of times because it flew nose heavy even though it was balanced to spec. Take off with a little down elevator at first to keep the front wheel planted and steerable. Easy to land, but do need to respect the fact that there's 10+ pounds coming down.

Rolls happen in geologic time on a DNA spiral, but is ok for what I want to do, and they happen at a speed where I can enter correction inputs and see the result.

I did break the tips on the prop on what seemed to be an only-slightly hard landing. I had larger-than-stock tires on, but too squishy. Changed to 3-inch Dubro Light Flites.

Anyone change the nose gear to Fults double arm?
Old Mar 10, 2015, 10:14 AM
Find More Posts by larryoakley
Joined Mar 2012
315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seldredge View Post
..and came home with the same number of pieces I went with. My first big balsa plane, third plane since foam trainer. What a nice flying plane. At the leisurely pace I flew today, calculations indicate I could fly 18 minutes to 80%. Didn't have to add any trim. Did have to move the battery back a couple of times because it flew nose heavy even though it was balanced to spec. Take off with a little down elevator at first to keep the front wheel planted and steerable. Easy to land, but do need to respect the fact that there's 10+ pounds coming down.

Rolls happen in geologic time on a DNA spiral, but is ok for what I want to do, and they happen at a speed where I can enter correction inputs and see the result.

I did break the tips on the prop on what seemed to be an only-slightly hard landing. I had larger-than-stock tires on, but too squishy. Changed to 3-inch Dubro Light Flites.

Anyone change the nose gear to Fults double arm?
I modified mine but instead of Fults I used an oleo leg I had laying around which I got from Hobbyking, what I did was to cut the OEM landing gear just after the spring/coil area, then attached the oleo leg so now I have dual suspension (the spring + oleo leg), also had to modify the pant to accommodate the oleo leg since now the strut enters from the top and not from the side like the original setup.

Ill try to take some pictures when I reach home.
larryoakley is offline Find More Posts by larryoakley
Old Mar 10, 2015, 10:51 AM
Joined May 2014
349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryoakley View Post
I modified mine but instead of Fults I used an oleo leg I had laying around which I got from Hobbyking, what I did was to cut the OEM landing gear just after the spring/coil area, then attached the oleo leg so now I have dual suspension (the spring + oleo leg), also had to modify the pant to accommodate the oleo leg since now the strut enters from the top and not from the side like the original setup.

Ill try to take some pictures when I reach home.
Doesn't the wheel end up off center?
Old Mar 10, 2015, 11:37 AM
Joined Mar 2012
315 Posts
Quote:
Doesn't the wheel end up off center?
Yes, just like in the picture
Old Mar 10, 2015, 12:59 PM
Joined May 2014
349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryoakley View Post
Yes, just like in the picture
So it's not on the center line of the plane? Or does the oleo strut move it over enough that the center of the tire is back on l ine.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 02:16 PM
Joined Mar 2012
315 Posts
Quote:
So it's not on the center line of the plane?
It is in the center line of the plane/fuselage when look standing on front, looking from the top the wheel axle is slightly behind the mounting bracket because of the inherent shock absorber in the oleo leg itself that acts like a knee,... not sure if that helps, I think a picture talks more that 1000 words... Ill reach home late but I promise Ill share a picture with you.

I've been flying with this modification with no problems and it definitely add more detail to the front LG, I just make sure to have half flaps in the take off to ease the stress in the nose LG cause our runway is very irregular/bumpy
Old Mar 10, 2015, 02:30 PM
Joined May 2014
349 Posts
Thanks, and picture would be great.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 06:30 PM
Joined Mar 2012
315 Posts
Quote:
Thanks, and picture would be great.

Slowly but Surely
Old Mar 11, 2015, 06:52 PM
Joined May 2014
349 Posts
Thanks. On the left, is that an overflow or breather tube? Also, what engine and prop?
Old Mar 11, 2015, 06:58 PM
Joined Mar 2012
315 Posts
Quote:
Thanks. On the left, is that an overflow or breather tube? Also, what engine and prop?
its the breather tube, Saito 100 GK, 14x7 3 blade prop
Old Mar 11, 2015, 07:08 PM
Joined May 2014
349 Posts
Must perform well. I have a 14x7 two blade, and performance was pretty good I thought. But I guess performance would depend on the revs, and I don't know what the Saito does. My Power 60 will handle a 14x8.5, so I have one of those to try also at some point. Looked for 3 or 4 blade that would work but didn't find one. (Props labeled for electric. I suppose I can use a regular one.)

Found a Master Airscrew 3-blade; yet to try. Supposedly inefficient compared to ACP, which eCalc seems to bear out (for similar thrust to an APC prop, flight time falls by a minute).

Tried a 14x8.5 prop. Noticeably more power. Not sure the power is worth the tradeoff right now for the way I'm flying. Going to try the 14x7 again next.

Still looking for the right battery placement. Have been moving the battery back and back--about an inch and half from the firewall now, and still flying slightly nose heavy. Haven't got a handle on the sink rate yet to be very accurate with landings--tending to land long. Playing with elevator mix.
Last edited by seldredge; Apr 22, 2015 at 10:26 PM.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 11:28 PM
Joined May 2014
349 Posts
Electric flyer prop sizes?

Hopefully as the flying seasons opens up across the country, this thread will come to life again. The plane is backordered at HH, so someone must be buying and building them.

I'm curious as to what size/pitch/brand electric flyers are using (and with what motor).
Last edited by seldredge; Apr 22, 2015 at 10:30 PM.