SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 09, 2014, 08:54 PM
Joined Feb 2013
300 Posts
Discussion
1/24 Scale Tank Group

Is there a 1/24 scale tank group where fans of this scale congregate? It doesn't appear to be a popular scale here since even the most basic queries go unanswered.
SpookyNumber1 is offline Find More Posts by SpookyNumber1
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2014, 11:17 AM
General of the Army
United States, PA, Sellersville
Joined Apr 2012
134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpookyNumber1 View Post
Is there a 1/24 scale tank group where fans of this scale congregate? It doesn't appear to be a popular scale here since even the most basic queries go unanswered.
I guess it hits home even more after your thread goes unanswered for over a week . Here is a post long enough to be considered several posts for you, not the same as multiple members showing interest, but at least ya got one!

It is sad , but unfortunately, there just seems to be very few dedicated RC tankers or RC tanking clubs around the world, not just here on this forum, which focus on, or widely discuss the smaller 1/24 scale RC tanks.

There is a group in Singapore (https://www.facebook.com/vstankclub) which focuses on supporting the 1/24 scale for IR battling, and one in Brisbane Australia (http://northbrisbanerctankclub.weebly.com/) seems to have just started branching out into supporting 1/24 scale. There might be a few more, but it's definitely very slim pickings to find broad support or high interest in discussing this smaller scale anywhere, while the 1/16 scale is supported and discussed widely all over.

I presume there are a lot of factors that can attribute to its low interest. Most people that purchase the 1/24 scale RC tanks do it for the occasional recreational fun, and are probably not the type to become any more interested in them, like modifying them, fixing them when broken, or even discussing them to any high degree, outside of the limited time they end up playing with them.

The biggest disadvantage to the 1/24 scale is the after purchase and after market support, or really, lack of support, where upgrades, accessories, and modifications are so extremely limited to this smaller scale, coupled with the low interest on websites, and forums like RCGroups and RCUniverse, in discussing the scale too. It's easy for people to become discouraged very quickly, and just walk away from these tanks, when they just don't find the support they need fast enough, especially in the internet age when support is mostly blazingly fast, and usually very significant.

It seems when people really do become extremely interested in furthering their RC tanking, even if they had started out with a 1/24 scale VSTank or Forces of Valor tank, they usually end up migrating to the 1/16 scale tanks instead, where there is already a plethora of internet support out here, accessories and upgrade parts are very numerous, and modifications become almost limitless to the imagination.

Because I had owned 6 VSTank Pro IR tanks myself, dating back to a purchase I made in 2007, in 2012 I became very interested in trying to start a new 1/24 scale IR RC tank battle club in my area. It became very evident, very quickly, that there just wasn't enough interest to start or really support a primarily 1/24 scale club for my area. Besides the lack of interest for people to join a primarily 1/24 scale club, I realized the limitations of the 1/24 scale tanks would just not allow me to reach the level of IR battling and realism that the 1/16 scale tanks already offered. With the 1/16 scale so heavily supported, and with what was out there for them which could satisfy my IR battle needs fully already, I just ended up migrating to the larger scale myself. I believe this same type of experience, where one is very interested but just wants the higher degree of realism, leads many other people away from the 1/24 scale as well.

The other unfortunate blow to this scale, was the realization that the Forces of Valor 1/24 scale tanks seems to have been discontinued altogether. I believe the Forces of Valor website stopped listing their 1/24 scale tanks back sometime early in 2012 or late 2011. I emailed Unimax back in 2012 using their online contact page (see my post here:http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...21&postcount=5), and received an answer that they weren't introducing any new 2012 model 1/24 scale FOV tanks. Unfortunately they skirted the real answer I wanted, and didn't officially confirm that they were absolutely discontinuing the entire line of tanks. But further emails regarding the subject went unanswered, so I just gave up even trying to find an official answer. I believe the question has been answered over the last couple years anyway, since no new tanks were introduced, and even though I was told that they were still "very much in production" in 2012, it really seems like stock of any of the previous FOV 1/24 scale models has been declining everywhere ever since, as if production in reality was halted even back then, and not being continued.

So it would seem now that Toyeast's VSTank is the only decent 1/24 scale RC tank game in town and still being produced, and to tell you the truth, I'm not sure how solid their plans are on continuing their own line of the 1/24 scale tanks either , making it an even bigger challenge to find enough people to discuss and continue to grow the support needed for this scale going forward.

Even though Clark Model has a high end electronics system that will actually fit the 1/24 scale tanks and would have met all my needs, adding more realism which I was looking at for my 1/24 scale tanks, it's too late for me now. I've already gotten hooked on the larger 1/16 scale over the last couple years anyway, especially after figuring out FOV 1/24 scale was discontinued, and possibly that VSTank may also make the same decision over the next couple years as well. I didn't want to jump into the scale full force while having serious doubts there may not be any more, or many more manufactured going forward.

However, I will say a hearty good luck to you though on your quest to revive interest in the 1/24 scale SpookyNumber1!

~ Craig ~
badassforce is offline Find More Posts by badassforce
Old Jan 18, 2014, 05:02 PM
Joined Feb 2013
300 Posts
Thanks, that pretty much answers everything. I'm a loner so gaming isn't really my bag, I just like the realistic gun recoil in the VS tanks that isn't replicated in the 1/16 unless you buy the Tamiya models. I have a dozen or so HengLong 1/16 models and the ones with gun recoil leave a lot to be desired. I found ToysEast and got some prices on parts so I can get my empty T-72 set up. They charge a lot for shipping so I guess I will order the entire set-up at one time. I'm satisfied just watching the various functions but especially, the gun recoil. Thanks again for the information.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 06:40 PM
Joined Nov 2013
4 Posts
I am also a 1/24 tank, figure and accessory guy. I know people are buying them I have had
bid wars on Ebay for FV tanks and accessory in the last five months.

VS was set to do wonders with there tanks,accessories and figures at the start of 2011
but sales went flat.

Also any clark bd. will work on FV or VS tanks and also on FV field
artillery.

The Clark 22v only difference is you can IR in VS and Tamiya standards. And
that's what I want.

Hopefully everybody will walk away from 1/24 and it will become collectable .

I think Torro is looking to take over FV tanks??????

I also think 1/24 r/c modeling is a great fit for the silent majority.

Keep your guns loaded**** Matt.
colt45101 is offline Find More Posts by colt45101
Old Jan 18, 2014, 07:23 PM
Joined Feb 2013
300 Posts
I have two T-72's, an M1 Abrams, a Leopard 2A5 and Leopard 2A6 so I'm pretty happy. I think another killer for 1/24th is the price. Most HL 1/16th can be had for the same price as the VS which surprised me a bit until I saw the fine detailing and accurate gun recoil action. I will most likely just keep buying them and any T-72's I see for a decent price and if they become collectable after I croak my kids can clean up. Having a life long hobbyist as a father makes them pretty lucky I would say. Now if I can figure out why the newest T-72 takes 6 shots to do a complete gun recoil cycle I can move on to getting the other T-72 done.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 07:29 PM
General of the Army
United States, PA, Sellersville
Joined Apr 2012
134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpookyNumber1 View Post
Thanks, that pretty much answers everything. I'm a loner so gaming isn't really my bag, I just like the realistic gun recoil in the VS tanks that isn't replicated in the 1/16 unless you buy the Tamiya models. I have a dozen or so HengLong 1/16 models and the ones with gun recoil leave a lot to be desired. I found ToysEast and got some prices on parts so I can get my empty T-72 set up. They charge a lot for shipping so I guess I will order the entire set-up at one time. I'm satisfied just watching the various functions but especially, the gun recoil. Thanks again for the information.
Actually, you don't need a tank as expensive as Tamiya for getting more realistic main gun recoil in the 1/16 tanks, you can add a Clark board to any HL tank and use a servo with it's real recoil feature for extremely nice looking recoil ... to me it looks better than Tamiya, as well as adding way better sounds than HL or any VSTank, and much more advanced functioning, even momentum if desired. Obviously it's at a cost, but for realism, it was very well worth that cost for me when I had to make the decision to improve my own HL tanks.

There are also some modifications you can do to the stock HL recoil units, that some people have posted before, which will make them look better compared to how they originally look and function coming from the factory.

~ Craig ~
badassforce is offline Find More Posts by badassforce
Old Jan 18, 2014, 07:51 PM
Joined Feb 2013
300 Posts
Thanks!
Old Jan 20, 2014, 01:10 PM
Caster Racing USA Team Driver
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Jan 2013
81 Posts
I totally agree with all your posts guys. I too have a bunch of VS 1/24 AM radio Tanks, 1 M1A2 Abrams, T72M1, 2 Tiger 1(1 Early, 1 late), 1 KV-1, & 1 Sherman M4A3, aside from the VS-X 1/72 T34, 2 Tiger 1, & 1 Sherman. They are now gathering a bit of dust. Here in So Cal, there is no dedicated tank forum nor group that is active. Me and my son used to play with these in our back yard and in between our RC Car (on road and off road) races when the venue permits. I don't think VS takes their customers seriously. The fact that they still use "toy grade" type AA batteries baffles me(very inconvenient, imagine having to remove 8 AA's to recharge!!!! and no trouble shooting nor detailed how to take apart, put together instructions!!!! Can't they make it simple and use NiMH battery packs like those micro RC Cars(1/18 scale)??? for now the tanks are gathering dust in a corner and the 1/72 scale ones have become static diorama displays together w/ some Dragon ,Armour Fast and MRC models and figures(Elefant, Pershing , Shermans, Tiger 1, King Tiger, Jagdtiger, Stug 3's, and JS-3). Was even thinking of convincing the owner of our local carpet on road track to use the outdoor space w/c used to be a drift track. Probably when our hectic RC car racing schedules wind down will these tanks get to fire up their cannons and engines
multiflyer2 is offline Find More Posts by multiflyer2
Old Jan 20, 2014, 10:19 PM
Joined Feb 2013
300 Posts
I imagine most begin with the smaller scale and then move to 1/16. I on the other hand went the other direction. Admittedly I wanted a Russian T-54, T-72 or T-90 and after shelving the Hooben T-55 I went for the VS T-72 and a few others.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 02:29 PM
Joined Jun 2011
134 Posts
Spooky

I have been watching this thread and the only thing I can add is collect whatever scale that gives you more satisfaction. I started out with the HL 1/16 scale tanks. I made some 1/16 scale buildings for my tanks and then I noticed my 1/16 scale collection was getting too big for me. I have tanks all over my bedroom and buildings all in my garage, it just got too big. So I decided to down size to 1/24 scale. I figure I can do more with this scale, like buying plastic model kits and use them as static displays. I made a couple of buildings out of cardboard and now I have something that is manageable for me. You just need to find the scale you like and run with it. There aren’t any 1/24 scale groups that I know about, but I kind a look at my collection as satisfying my needs. Just do whatever makes you happy. You can find my threads at “1/24 Battle Village” and also look at “1/24 Scale Breakdown House”. I hope this has helped you find your own path.

Bigjack82
BigJack82 is offline Find More Posts by BigJack82
Old Jan 23, 2014, 03:07 PM
Joined Feb 2013
300 Posts
Well put, I have always lived to the beat of my own drum. I was tagged with the "SPOOKY" nick in grade school because all I ever looked forward to was monster magazines or what monster movie would be airing on Shock Theater or Chiller, our local hosted TV programs. I like cool things and since most that know me think my stuff is cool too I can only guess why they haven't jumped in. Having grown up with remote toys, remember the ones with wires running from the controller to the toy, I just love the digital age of miniaturization. I always wanted the Omaha Beach set I saw in the Sears Christmas Catalog around 1960 and now when I see a complete and unopened one it's out of my price range. My 6 year old granddaughter must have a lot of me in her because she likes my tanks and 1950's spook movies. Maybe I should say that she likes to chase me around the yard shooting little yellow BB's at grandpa.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 07:58 PM
Joined Jun 2011
134 Posts
Hey Spooky I got the Marx Desert Fox set for Christmas in the early 60's. I can kick my self now for play with it.

Bigjack
Old Jan 23, 2014, 08:49 PM
Joined Feb 2013
300 Posts
Look at all the fun you had though. Did Marx make the Omaha Beach set?
Old Jan 23, 2014, 09:30 PM
Joined Jun 2011
134 Posts
Yes they did and they still do just go to classic toy soldiers web site. They have them all Kursk, Desert Fox, Battle of the Bulge, Iwo Jima, Stalingrad, and a lot more. I am waiting for some grandkids so I will have a reason to buy all of them. It doesn't look good for a 50 something guy buying all these play sets with no kids.

Bigjack
Old Feb 01, 2014, 03:39 PM
Maryland, USA
Joined Oct 2010
89 Posts
Downsized as well..

I just did the same thing in getting rid of my 1/16..as much as I LOVED them the size as well as the COST of getting them to the level I wanted was getting ridiculous.. I just cant afford to have $600-$700 into a custom Heng long, or even more into a Tamiya. That coupled with the fact I just don't have time(or cash) to travel to all the major battle events. 1/24th on the other hand are smaller/cheaper and come with more then enough detail to suit my taste(ok,maybe a bit more weathering lol)..Just figures that I seemed to have missed the hay-day of 1/24..But I just got a scratch-and-dent T72 from Tower Hobbies/ w some plastic tracks from Banana Hobbies(on sale to!) and wanna grab an IR M1 to battle with, and maybe a couple of good parts tanks so I can stock up on parts..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJack82 View Post
Spooky

I have been watching this thread and the only thing I can add is collect whatever scale that gives you more satisfaction. I started out with the HL 1/16 scale tanks. I made some 1/16 scale buildings for my tanks and then I noticed my 1/16 scale collection was getting too big for me. I have tanks all over my bedroom and buildings all in my garage, it just got too big. So I decided to down size to 1/24 scale. I figure I can do more with this scale, like buying plastic model kits and use them as static displays. I made a couple of buildings out of cardboard and now I have something that is manageable for me. You just need to find the scale you like and run with it. There aren’t any 1/24 scale groups that I know about, but I kind a look at my collection as satisfying my needs. Just do whatever makes you happy. You can find my threads at “1/24 Battle Village” and also look at “1/24 Scale Breakdown House”. I hope this has helped you find your own path.

Bigjack82
Disposable Hero is offline Find More Posts by Disposable Hero