HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 23, 2013, 07:46 PM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,267 Posts
Discussion
Gaui X2 - Discussion, videos, pictures, etc.

Well. I decided to make this thread because i needed somewhere to post my X2 videos. Hopefully others will as well. I don't see a lot of discussion about the heli going on. But maybe that will change.

Gaui X2 - Flight 16 - Turnigy Nano 1300 mAh 45C packs (3 min 39 sec)

Gaui X2 - Flight 17 - Tic Toc practice (3 min 43 sec)

Gaui X2 - Flight 18 - Really fun 3D flight (3 min 30 sec)

Gaui X2 - Flight 19 (3 min 46 sec)
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 23, 2013, 08:42 PM
Joined May 2012
112 Posts
Damn... really on the fence between x2 and x3. How much did you get yours for?
Skovoroda is offline Find More Posts by Skovoroda
Old Sep 23, 2013, 09:08 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skovoroda View Post
Damn... really on the fence between x2 and x3. How much did you get yours for?
Get a X3, better yet. Wait till they release the full X3 with the CNC tail box, servo mounts & frame pieces, and rotor grips. That is why i bought this X2. I only paid $296 for it with all the electronics and everything. I bought it used. But i was VERY disappointed that Gaui only released the Basic X3 kits at first. So i bought this X2 to hold me over till the CNC X3 release.

But, a micro heli will be a micro heli.

The heli flies excellently, as you can see in my videos. By far the best flying little heli i have ever flown. However, it crashes horribly, very expensive and nothing much of the rotor head survives. You can expect $50 to $130 cost in just about any crash. I LOVE this heli regardless. But I think this heli is for a very experienced pilot who already owns other helicopters and won't be wearing this one out all day long. But i am still building my impressions of it since i am only up to about 21 flights with it. But i have to admit i have already had some very bad experiences with it. You can find the one crash i had with it on my youtube channel.

I think the X2 will require LOTS of maintenance on bearings and monitoring little parts for wear. I can't really be sure because i bought mine used. So who knows what condition some of the bearings were in. But when i upload the next videos you'll see what I'm pissed off about. I think upper main shaft bearing exploded or something which caused the main shaft to vibrate and the feathering shaft to break in half.... I don't know. But one way or the other the feathering shaft broke, ejected the blades & grips and flipped the heli all over on my launch pad, mangling the shaft, rotor and the brand new CNC swash guide i just installed.

Working on editing the video in a little bit... There were some.... Expletives i need to cut out or something. The crash happened on Saturday.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 09:25 PM
Joined Oct 2010
1,284 Posts
Love/Hate relationship

Oh yeah, Skovoroda, I also say to get the X3 however, I don't agree with the you HAVE to have the bling one. Quite a few people are flying the plastic one and they are quite happy. I say buy the plastic one then upgrade the bits you feel need upgrading once they become available.
pmerritt is offline Find More Posts by pmerritt
Old Sep 23, 2013, 09:29 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmerritt View Post
Love/Hate relationship

Old Sep 24, 2013, 06:28 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,267 Posts
Quote:
Oh yeah, Skovoroda, I also say to get the X3 however, I don't agree with the you HAVE to have the bling one. Quite a few people are flying the plastic one and they are quite happy. I say buy the plastic one then upgrade the bits you feel need upgrading once they become available.
I didn't say there was anything wrong with the basic kit. I like the canopy it comes with the most

Hey, look. Anyone that wants to get on the X3 basic, I'm all for it. That is how Gaui will fund the production of the other kits and other projects. So, go for it! Gaui is doing things right and getting better as they go. So i have no doubt the basic kit will fly great and not have any issues because of the parts. Well at least not for a long time. Some parts might even be better in a crash or at least cheaper to replace and it will be nice being able to have a choice. But i expect this to be a precision machine either way. So i don't expect to be crashing it much. For me it's not just going to be a 450 beater. I already have a few of those. The X3 is a whole new beast in the 450 stretch class and i want to at least see how many other kits get released next and what they will cost and come with. Because i don't want to end up paying $200 for the basic kit with nothing if the CNC kits get released for not a whole lot more and come with a motor or something. I am not sure what equipment i really want to run. But i want to see what they offer on the stock kits before i decide. I really don't want to do upgrades and work on the heli after the build if i can avoid it. Been there, done that. SO tired of it now.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 02:22 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,267 Posts
Gaui X2 - Non Flight 21 - Everything was going good until.... (3 min 4 sec)
Old Sep 24, 2013, 07:18 PM
Joined Oct 2010
1,284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
I don't think that's the norm......ow! I have had two mishaps and both were bad but not THAT bad. Both of my mishaps were from the grip screws not holding....I think a generous portion of thread locker is important. Usually I try to go for a little less so that I know I can disassemble the parts but with this bird those screws need to be immovable objects.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 07:50 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,267 Posts
Quote:
I don't think that's the norm......ow! I have had two mishaps and both were bad but not THAT bad. Both of my mishaps were from the grip screws not holding....I think a generous portion of thread locker is important. Usually I try to go for a little less so that I know I can disassemble the parts but with this bird those screws need to be immovable objects.
Well, i should hope this is not the normal... If it isn't i can honestly say i can take all the bad with the good on this model. Because there is a lot of good. Not a whole lot of bad. I guess i just have to have bad luck sometimes.

BTW, that was a brand new whole rotor head i purchased prior to my first crash and installed after. It was factory assembled. I don't actually think it was a defect in the FS. In the previous flight i had heard something go though the rotor. I thought it was a bug or something. I looked at the heli and didn't really see anything wrong. I guess i didn't look close enough. There were some screws which had managed to work their way out of the top bearing block on one side. Both screws on the one side of the bearing block, actually. So the bearing block probably started moving around. The bearings probably gave out in flight. The the next time i went to fly it, BOOM.

Replacement parts should be here tomorrow. FYI, the CNC swash guide upgrade is nice. It's damn strong. But it got mangled in this incident. Its actually hard and strong enough that i had a lot of trouble bending it back into shape so it could be used again. I decided to just replace it and give it another shot. BUT, honestly i can see where i might end up just stocking up on 5 or 6 of the plastic ones and just replacing them as needed. I guess i'll have to see how the CNC one handles it's self in a regular crash before i decide. But it did get mangled in this one.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 07:55 PM
Mostly harmless
United Kingdom, Scotland, Edinburgh
Joined Jan 2013
978 Posts
Quote:
That's surprisingly bad for just a feathering shaft failure!
- it's nearly a complete right-off!

I've had a feathering shaft explosion on my CX250 when I had a bad power connection & it tipped over
- but it just did the head, & main shaft pretty much

but yours with the frame damage seems incredible!

Shame as the the 250-size really flies nicely I think!
FlyingPhilUK is online now Find More Posts by FlyingPhilUK
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RJX-500 Update
Old Sep 24, 2013, 07:59 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingPhilUK View Post
That's surprisingly bad for just a feathering shaft failure!
- it's nearly a complete right-off!

I've had a feathering shaft explosion on my CX250 when I had a bad power connection & it tipped over
- but it just did the head, & main shaft pretty much

but yours with the frame damage seems incredible!

Shame as the the 250-size really flies nicely I think!
Yeah, well i need to mention again, i bought this heli used. I am pretty sure that the upper main shaft bearing exploding all the balls out of it was the actual cause of this one.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 07:59 PM
Mostly harmless
United Kingdom, Scotland, Edinburgh
Joined Jan 2013
978 Posts
Quote:
Well, i should hope this is not the normal... If it isn't i can honestly say i can take all the bad with the good on this model. Because there is a lot of good. Not a whole lot of bad. I guess i just have to have bad luck sometimes.
That's good to hear!

Quote:
I don't actually think it was a defect in the FS. In the previous flight i had heard something go though the rotor. I thought it was a bug or something. I looked at the heli and didn't really see anything wrong. I guess i didn't look close enough. There were some screws which had managed to work their way out of the top bearing block on one side. Both screws on the one side of the bearing block, actually. So the bearing block probably started moving around. The bearings probably gave out in flight. The the next time i went to fly it, BOOM.
Yes, you can hear something has gone about 1 sec before the main explosion
- probably the bearing...

Quote:
Yeah, well i need to mention again, i bought this heli used. I am pretty sure that the upper main shaft bearing exploding all the balls out of it was the actual cause of this one.
Yes, I think so - caused the imbalance that fractured the FS...
FlyingPhilUK is online now Find More Posts by FlyingPhilUK
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RJX-500 Update
Old Sep 24, 2013, 08:00 PM
Joined Oct 2010
1,284 Posts
just so you know, my first incident was from a brand new head also......the screws let go ever so slightly in the feathering shaft but that caused enough vibration to make the gyro go haywire and the rest was inevitable. I will probably stick to the plastic ar mount.....super easy to replace and my original has amazingly survived both crashes. You're probably like, that's amazing, but I feel the same way about your one way bearing holding up. I've switched to trex 250 gears.

Pretty soon it'll be time to hang up the transmitter though.....starting to get cold here.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 08:11 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,267 Posts
Quote:
just so you know, my first incident was from a brand new head also......the screws let go ever so slightly in the feathering shaft but that caused enough vibration to make the gyro go haywire and the rest was inevitable. I will probably stick to the plastic ar mount.....super easy to replace and my original has amazingly survived both crashes. You're probably like, that's amazing, but I feel the same way about your one way bearing holding up. I've switched to trex 250 gears.

Pretty soon it'll be time to hang up the transmitter though.....starting to get cold here.
Wanna know something. My AR guide broke after my first crash. I didn't replace it. I glued it back together with some MXBON 105 and used some baking soda to reinforce the broken sections. I sanded the baking soda "epoxy" inside the guide so the swash could slide smoothly in there and i flew it for a hand full of flights until my CNC one arrived.

Is the T250 main gear a drop in replacement? I examined the Gaui OWB and honestly it doesn't seem to be low quality or anything. I greased it when i got it with Gaui's OWB grease left over from my X7. Just a dab though. Even after the first crash and this incident the OWB is still functioning as far as i can tell. I bought a second main gear just in case because you mentioned the OWB. But so far, so good. I know when i used certain types of lube on my 450 OWB it would deteriorate in no time. You weren't lubing it with triflo were you?

As far as the gyro going haywire due to vibes. I wrapped one of those red gaui velcro straps tightly around my gyro and cinch it down around the frame. Just make sure you have at least some 3M tape or something below the gyro if you do this. Don't just try using the strap. Anyway, it seems to really help. It really helped clear up the vibe influence on my V200's gyro too.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 08:50 PM
Joined Oct 2010
1,284 Posts
Quote:
Wanna know something. My AR guide broke after my first crash. I didn't replace it. I glued it back together with some MXBON 105 and used some baking soda to reinforce the broken sections. I sanded the baking soda "epoxy" inside the guide so the swash could slide smoothly in there and i flew it for a hand full of flights until my CNC one arrived.

Is the T250 main gear a drop in replacement? I examined the Gaui OWB and honestly it doesn't seem to be low quality or anything. I greased it when i got it with Gaui's OWB grease left over from my X7. Just a dab though. Even after the first crash and this incident the OWB is still functioning as far as i can tell. I bought a second main gear just in case because you mentioned the OWB. But so far, so good. I know when i used certain types of lube on my 450 OWB it would deteriorate in no time. You weren't lubing it with triflo were you?

As far as the gyro going haywire due to vibes. I wrapped one of those red gaui velcro straps tightly around my gyro and cinch it down around the frame. Just make sure you have at least some 3M tape or something below the gyro if you do this. Don't just try using the strap. Anyway, it seems to really help. It really helped clear up the vibe influence on my V200's gyro too.
The 250 gear is ALMOST a drop in but you have to take one small step further.

Name: 20130924_204122.jpg
Views: 70
Size: 272.2 KB
Description:

Name: 20130924_204140.jpg
Views: 68
Size: 148.6 KB
Description:

Take a medium servo wheel and drill out the center with a 9mm drill bit. Next, sand the servo wheel down just a bit on a flat surface and as you can see from the pic it looks like it was made for the Gaui. The delrin is a little harder than the stock Gaui and the owb is easier to replace. not to mention you can run to the lhs and grab them.

The other pic is just to highlight my lovely mainshaft post crash. See my tough little AR guide sitting there after that!