HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 21, 2014, 05:21 PM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,864 Posts
You did a nice job!! It certainly does dress it up a bit, from stock. As for that "little" hump, just hit it with a sanding block to knock it down some.. that or ( my preference) get some light weigh filler, and build up the aft side of it.. The real one does have a nice curvature in that location.

Quote:
Cooler
Nice the way you are progressing. A good thing, I build a pusher and don't have to bother with the look and the functional side
Surly a pusher would have been much simpler, but what's the fun in that?

I had that proverbial hair up my Arse to go as scale as I could-- and it has proved to be an exercise in anger management!!..,,,

But nothing that can't be worked out-- getting nice smooth flowing curves on the intakes is the next challenge. I only have a touch over 5" to do an "S" curve before it goes back thru former. A little short on room, I'd say!
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 26, 2014, 03:26 PM
United Kingdom, Northern Ireland, Belfast
Joined Jun 2011
335 Posts
The detail you get into Mark is fantastic. I've just managed to get the leaves on. It was a pain to say the least. Every time I put tape down the paint came away. In the end I had to go by hand. It's rough as but sure it'll look great in the air. I got one side done and the put wax paper over and roughly stenciled the leaves then using a pin I poked holes tracing the stencil. This was then shot through with the airbrush then hand painted. It's good enough I think.
Shane Sunday is online now Find More Posts by Shane Sunday
Old Sep 26, 2014, 03:53 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,864 Posts
You did yourself proud-- looks fantastic Must have been an exercise in patience for sure!!

I've been watching corsair nuts T-38 build in the EDF scratch build forum , and he just finished his cockpit--looks great. I've ofter wondered if you could take a pic, print it out to right scale-- protect it from UV rays --so it doesn't fade so much??

Found a nice pic to work with:

I finally got an answer regarding my CG.. Almost dead on to what I had figured, even with the bigger wings. Got some temp foam formers made so I can start working on the intake ducts- At some point in time, all this will come together and I can get on with the rest of the build!!
Old Sep 28, 2014, 02:30 AM
Crash-safe
Baar, Switzerland
Joined Oct 2006
303 Posts
Hey Shane
Looks great !
I know how much work goes into this scheme to get it look right and I used the whole inventory of 4 letter words while brushing mine . And now I even try to aim for the 2003 Porcupine. I must have a streak of masochism in me.
Again: Well done !

Cooler
Another possibility: Do you know someone how flies flight simulators. Snapshots from the game can be useful.
Just a thought.....
lessram is offline Find More Posts by lessram
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: F/A-18 Mk II
Old Sep 28, 2014, 09:48 AM
Joined Dec 2008
5,864 Posts
Thanks Olli , That idea was brought up in another thread too.
I did find these however_

f-18 cockpit photos
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...os&FORM=HDRSC2

F 18 Cockpit Layout
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...ut&Form=IQFRDR

F 18 Cockpit Layout Siulator
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...or&FORM=RESTAB

F 18 Cockpit SolidWorks
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...ks&FORM=RESTAB

Just a matter of finding the right one, or ones that will work because of the angles they were taken from. Lots to pick from!!
Old Sep 28, 2014, 03:43 PM
Waterford, ON, Canada
Joined Nov 2007
236 Posts
Here's the image I used, and a photo that might be useful. I added a bit of colour and enhancements to the panel (with paint or markers) and applied epoxy to the MFD's to simulate glass. Good enough for this kid...
Tom
pogoed is online now Find More Posts by pogoed
Old Sep 28, 2014, 03:46 PM
Waterford, ON, Canada
Joined Nov 2007
236 Posts
Whoops, wrong pic.
pogoed is online now Find More Posts by pogoed
Old Sep 28, 2014, 04:57 PM
Canada, AB, Okotoks
Joined Apr 2007
1,296 Posts
pogoed,

Great image, thanks for sharing.
thedeuce is offline Find More Posts by thedeuce
Old Oct 12, 2014, 02:36 AM
Crash-safe
Baar, Switzerland
Joined Oct 2006
303 Posts
Ok, time for an update
Not much done in the last weeks but nevertheless slowly progressing on several fronts.
Wings: Filled the all the wholes with depron and added a balsa TE.
Fuse: Began to spackle/sand the fuse to remove the panel lines. I know it's way too early and I will for sure add some building rashes, but I like to do the "heavy" stuff first as long the pieces are still handy enough to sand.
Camo: Like I wrote in an earlier post, I painted the vert stabs first a the "pièce de résistance". Since I'm using just ordinary waterbased acrylic colors and a cheap "area airbrush" this is a time consuming process. Add a thin layer of color and let it dry, next layer and wait,... I wanted to speed up the process with a hairdryer, but somehow the masking tape didn't like it: It came loose. The orange mix is a tick too red, but I'm committed.
What else: I have a new "lunchtime hobby". By law,, I am required to take a 40 min lunchtime break. Since I'm usually not hungry, I play with visio. After Cooler put the cockpit bug into my head, I began drawing an scalish instrument panel. Not that anyone would see the details after printing it, but hey, somehow you need to spend your time ...

So that's it for now...
Going into the hobby-room to spackle the next part.
lessram is offline Find More Posts by lessram
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: F/A-18 Mk II
Old Oct 12, 2014, 09:55 PM
Canada, AB, Okotoks
Joined Apr 2007
1,296 Posts
Looks great. Nice work. I've been preoccupied with a remote starter I purchased for my 1/4 scale Yak54 gasser. Soon I'll be back on the F-18. Winters coming fast.
thedeuce is offline Find More Posts by thedeuce
Old Oct 23, 2014, 09:04 AM
fortuna favet fortibus
Schweiz, AG, Merenschwand
Joined Oct 2011
896 Posts
Hey Ollie, didn't you look for a nice picture of the intakes?
Wobisch is offline Find More Posts by Wobisch
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 24, 2014, 02:15 PM
United Kingdom, Northern Ireland, Belfast
Joined Jun 2011
335 Posts
Hey Ollie That is looking cracker mate! If the rest turns out as good as this then she will be a beuty!
Shane Sunday is online now Find More Posts by Shane Sunday
Old Oct 27, 2014, 05:19 PM
more power=almost enough
USA, ID, Boise
Joined Sep 2003
507 Posts
Subscribed... nice stuff guys.
Kerry
JetTech is offline Find More Posts by JetTech