SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 05, 2013, 11:40 PM
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined Jul 2011
820 Posts
Discussion
Does this Hitec HS-81 look correct?

So I have a 55" Grim Reaper, first I'll say I've flown it a couple of times and it's awesome. But I keep stripping the same servo. The guy who had the plane before me told me he stripped the one a couple of times and this is the second time I've replaced this same servo

Hitec HS-81

the top gear that pops out of the top of the servo is stripped, and the last time it was the same
So looking at the attached image you can see the "short" pin. Is this where its supposed to be? It seems short to me and I wonder if it's causing it to kick the gear out. I realize how it only really needs that little nub to hold into place but I wanted to ask before I started buying metal gears.

P.S.
- all the landing I've had have been very gentle. But I may have added a little flair before touch down
- I don't want to remove the other gear unless I have to as it is glued into the wing.

gear
(The gear on the top of this picture)

(The gear on the top of this picture, and this is my actual gear)
MaydayMayday is offline Find More Posts by MaydayMayday
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2013, 11:38 AM
white lake michigan
Joined Oct 2004
3,756 Posts
It looks about correct. You might want to swap gears to a metal one. I just opened up an older 81 and there is just over 2mm sticking out the top. It could just be the impact of the plane stopping suddenly that is ripping the teeth off. I had some carbon hitec 65's and I barely bumped the taileron only to find out I wrecked it. I know carbon is brittle but it sounds like your plane is of good size and has some weight behind it, I have stripped nylon with just minimal impact before.
unclecrash is offline Find More Posts by unclecrash
Old Jan 06, 2013, 11:48 AM
white lake michigan
Joined Oct 2004
3,756 Posts
You might also want to check the case where the pin goes into it to make sure it isn't wallowed out. But I would still go to a metal gear set. Like you said it's happened more than once.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 04:47 PM
Joined Jul 2011
820 Posts
Thanks, that's the plan is to order metal ones tonight, but I thought I would ask everybody first. It's cool that they can be upgraded but I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

I checked for play in the head where it comes through the top of the servo case and if there is play it's small enough I can't detect it.

Any recommendations as to where to buy the metal gears?
Old Jan 06, 2013, 04:59 PM
white lake michigan
Joined Oct 2004
3,756 Posts
Servocity has them for $12.95 a set.
Last edited by unclecrash; Jan 06, 2013 at 05:09 PM.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 12:40 AM
Joined Jul 2011
820 Posts
Thanks everybody!