HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:10 PM
Joined Oct 2005
1,344 Posts
You use the rudder to steer the model. There is no reason you have to fly straight towards the turnaround or high start stake.

Learn how to fly the model on the line and don't just watch. The best practice on your high start would be to fly the model steering it left and right. You should get to the point where you can just keep flying the model like a stunt kite.

Nothing more fun than flying the model all the way around the turnaround and. Launch hung back at yourself in downwind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indgroove View Post
I am comfortable with the high start. Getting good launches, finding good thermals.
Today I started to launch when a thermal pass through and the wind direction changed 90 degrees. I know that means a thermal has influenced the prevailing wind direction. My question is, if I were using a winch what is the proper launch technique when the head wind changes (say 90 degrees or more) from the prevailing wind? ( in other words, I cannot launch into the wind)

Thanks
mlachow is offline Find More Posts by mlachow
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:28 AM
F3B and F3K
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Mar 2009
1,635 Posts
Yes Mike, it is great fun in F3B to fly knife edge around the turnaround and then start the climb and zoom towards you. But he is flying on a high start, so no way to adjust line tension during those maneuvers and I would not recommend going to extreme.

Try to veer with rudder in the opposite direction of the wind initially and then point it head wind for the climb phase.

When you do extreme crosswind launches like Mike describes, it helps to bend the towhook upwards a bit. Else you might fall out of the line. Also use 100% differential in the launch phase, then you can also safely do bank angle corrections without stalls. A good launch is when you use as little control input as possible.

Reto
RetoF3X is offline Find More Posts by RetoF3X
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: US F3B Teamselects
Old Feb 19, 2013, 07:34 PM
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Feb 2007
116 Posts
Thanks Mike and Reto. I have tried what Reto said. I will keep practicing. Did my 1st winch launch at the San Felasco dlg contest on practice day. WOW!!!
High and fast zoom. I have a lot to learn.
Charles
Indgroove is online now Find More Posts by Indgroove
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: This Forum is Great
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:13 PM
F3B and F3K
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Mar 2009
1,635 Posts
Charles, find someone with a winch. You will appreciate the possibilities you have when you can control (and maintain) tension during the launch.

The Satori is a fun plane to fly, keep it up.

Reto
RetoF3X is offline Find More Posts by RetoF3X
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: US F3B Teamselects