HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:10 PM
United States, WV, St Albans
Joined Jul 2011
1,759 Posts
Discussion
AeroSky’s 185 Sky Trainer?

Anyone here have one of these yet? Nitroplanes has them with floats and wheels.

http://www.nitroplanes.com/07a002-185-blue-arf.html

Except for the obvious difference of it being a tail dragger, I wonder how it flies and compares with the FMS/Airfield 182?

Jim
WVrailfan is offline Find More Posts by WVrailfan
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:42 PM
United States, MS, Amory
Joined Oct 2004
1,412 Posts
Just got mine today. Looks great. Just started to find a motor for it.
mtnmnstr is offline Find More Posts by mtnmnstr
Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:40 AM
North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
2,252 Posts
I don't see a 185, I see a late model 182 with straight tail. I wish someone made a decent 185 foamy.
sj3cub is offline Find More Posts by sj3cub
Old Dec 23, 2012, 05:22 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
United States, NE, Bennington
Joined Jan 2010
4,623 Posts
I wouldn't mind getting one of the kit versions. With the current coupon code available, could get one less that a hundred bucks...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...5#post23555054

http://m.rcgroups.com/forums/showthr...5#post23555054

Kman
kman24 is online now Find More Posts by kman24
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:13 AM
Joined Aug 2012
20 Posts
Please anyone give review on Aerosky 185 float

Please anyone give review on Aerosky 185 float
jetster7 is offline Find More Posts by jetster7
Old Jun 13, 2013, 11:03 PM
Joined Mar 2013
1 Posts
aerosky185

I just finished around my 12th flight tonight. (wheels only) Was very nervous for the first flight but all fear was gone 5 seconds after lift off. Plane flew very smooth. You have to watch balance or it can be twitchy. Also want to limit elevator throw as it response very quick. (I have mine limited to 30% and could go even less)
Want to get landing down before I take to the water to avoid dumping it. Want to take it to the lake for a 4th party for aerial videos.
As I read somewhere else the mounting for the wheels is not very beefy since it's two pieces of ply sandwiched to foam. Couple hard landings and it was compressing and bending the foam. I build light ply bracing down both sides above the inside ply and added spacers between the sandwich ply so the foam would not be crushed tightening the screws that hold that AL landing gear. Worked out well as one harder landing tonight slightly bend the AL instead of damaging the foam anymore. I might add flap servos to slow the landing speed down more. Landing speed is not to bad but my landing (street) has tall grass on both sides to you have to nail the landing. Like the plane though. Looks great in the air and flies smooth, goes there you point it. Power is unbelievablele. I have the radio limiting the throttle to about 25% and has plenty of power. At some point I"m going to try a vertical as it feels like it will have unlimited vertical potential. (From Nitroplanes.)
dodgerunner is offline Find More Posts by dodgerunner
Last edited by dodgerunner; Jun 13, 2013 at 11:10 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Mar 10, 2014, 09:30 PM
Minnesota
Joined Sep 2004
504 Posts
I just got one of these and hoping maybe someone who's put one of these together before can offer some clarification or tricks?

First off, the instructions don't say glue on the horizontal & vertical stabs, but I assume that's how they go on?

I see right away the horizontal stab isn't going to be parallel to the wing so I'll probably have to futz with that when I glue on the horizontal stab to try to get it lined up.

Now my biggest frustration so far is with the wing hold down bolts. Only one actually lines up well enough to get it threaded easily. I messed around quite a bit and I think I can get 2 more lined up, but the forth is just really off kilter or something, the bolt tries to cross thread on the blind nut whenever I start it ... frustrated!

It should look nice in the air and on the water once it is all together, but it's not all fitting together nicely for me. :-(
clolson is online now Find More Posts by clolson
Old Mar 11, 2014, 11:30 AM
Minnesota
Joined Sep 2004
504 Posts
Here is a quick follow up to my own post ...

I installed the main wing and did my best to align the horizontal stab with the main wing when I glued in the horizontal stab. I eyeballed the vertical stab when I glued that in and it seems pretty much at a right angle. It would be really easy to get the horizontal and vertical stabs way out of alignment if you weren't paying attention. Nothing bugs me more than noticing (too late) that I glued the tail on crooked.

I did manage to get the wing bolted on ok. The factory installed blind nuts did not line up well which made this a huge pain. So you just have to fiddle with it long enough I guess. I managed to push out one blind nut in the process of try to get the bolt started which was kind of a set back to the process, but managed to get it all together in the end.

I'm not impressed with the quality of the 3-bladed prop ... looks like cheap molded plastic. Anyone know the pitch on this so I can replace it with something decent?

I'm also not impressed with the glue on foam spinner. Instructions have you glue it on, and it takes quite a bit of fiddling to get it centered so it doesn't wobble terribly when it spins. That's another thing I'd love to replace eventually if I keep and fly this airplane regularly.

The landing gear and control linkage installation has been straightforward ... no major gripes there.

I think this airplane will be ok. It's not high on the quality or fit & finish scale, but it's cheap and on clearance, I guess what should I expect. :-) I think it will look good in the air and from a few feet away. Just don't get out the microscope or start nitpicking too much.

I live within walking distance to a little lake so I'm hoping this will be a fun airplane to fly off floats and go buzz around a bit on a nice calm evening.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 05:45 PM
Smyrna, TN
Joined Apr 2008
124 Posts
Hard to get off the water.

I purchased this plane and have flown for 40 years. It was a little tail heavy and it took so much up elevator to get off the water that it snap rolled at ten feet, corrected, shaped rolled the other way, then one more time, before I could get it under control. Upon landing I dialed back the controls, added some weight to the nose of the floats. Now it won't get off the water unless it is really choppy. So to get off the water it has to be nearly too sensitive to fly, but to fly right it is hard to break off the surface. Do I need a bigger prop? Trying to change the angel of floats next. Looks good in the air once you get it flying.
Lavendertravel is offline Find More Posts by Lavendertravel
Old Mar 31, 2014, 08:54 PM
Minnesota
Joined Sep 2004
504 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on that.

I'm curious if you were flying with a 3s or 4s battery pack. I haven't had a chance to get this in the air, but I did a "wing off" taxi test in my driveway (I have it on wheels for starters). I have a 4s battery installed and I thought it had tremendous power; the thing almost got airborne in my driveway with no wing installed (seemed like it anyway.) I could see this being airborne before you could get the throttle all the way to full. This is still wheels only though ... I know the floats will add quite a bit of weight.

On the other hand with a 3s battery I think this will be more "scale" powered.

Just eyeballing the online pictures, I think by default it sits too tail high on the floats ... this might (?) contribute to making it hard to get off the water. I haven't flown it yet though and my set of floats are still in the box.

Right now I'm balancing out right in the middle of the range indicated by the plans so hopefully it will fly well. I have a couple micro servos here too so if I don't reduce it to packing peanuts on the maiden flight I plan to set it up for flaps too.

Sure is sweet looking though if you take a couple steps back (far enough to not be able to see how lousy the decals are) :-) I love the old school vertical stabilizer. I'll try to remember to come back here and post a flight report when I get a nice day. Right now the frost is still working it's way out of the ground so our club field access road is about a foot deep of mud and it's a major white knuckler to get in an out. (And the lake near my house still has 2' of ice.)

Curt.
Old Apr 01, 2014, 03:25 PM
Smyrna, TN
Joined Apr 2008
124 Posts
On the water

I fly with a 4 s 2,200. You have to have the weight in the nose so why not 4s? I took off the tail wheel when I put it on floats to take some weight off the back. I think it balances out right, but the floats make it fly tail heavy so it requires more nose weight. I have flaps on mine and mixed a little down with them (it only takes about 1/16, very little). The flaps did not help it get off the water, they only slowed it down. They work great for landing.
Last edited by Lavendertravel; Apr 02, 2014 at 01:09 PM.
Old Apr 08, 2014, 10:53 AM
Minnesota
Joined Sep 2004
504 Posts
I just maidened my aerosky 185 yesterday from land. What I didn't like is the freewheeling prop ... that added a ton of drag on landing approach which kind of confused power management (at least for me) and my landings were kind of ugly. I plan to turn on the motor brake before I fly next and see if that makes my glide slope management on approach more sane. Probably a couple more weeks still here before the lake ice melts and I can try it with floats.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 10:43 AM
Smyrna, TN
Joined Apr 2008
124 Posts
Don't use the brake

The freewheeling prop does not add drag, but if you put the brakes on it then it sure will drag. I also fly rubber powered models and I found you can not glide it with the prop stopped. It will tend to dive some. I stalled mine in the lake the other day and it went in up to the wing. Popped right out and taxied back, no problem. I had to set the elevator on high for takeoff and then back to low sensitivity after I was in the air.