1,892 Posts
Discussion
MJX x200 Mini Quad

Just received the new MJX x200.

Initial impressions:

- ordered from Banggood Nov 3 and received in Canada Nov 21
- safely packed in a styrofoam box
- same size as WL v929 but about 7gr heavier
- tx has lcd display with camera/'roll' button, and beginner, intermediate and advanced settings
- appears to have familiar robust build quality expected from MJX
- also has some things that I did not expect - stay tuned
gordonzo is offline Find More Posts by gordonzo
Last edited by gordonzo; Nov 24, 2012 at 01:13 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 22, 2012, 10:30 PM
Different fly 4 different guy
Canada, BC, Salmon Arm
Joined Jan 2011
1,892 Posts
I have 3 quads - WL v929, MJX x100 and now this MJX x200. I am certainly not any kind of expert so these opinions are based on my experiences and abilities.

Pros:
- very robust construction - booms and blades much heavier than v929
- nice 600mah 20c battery
- plenty of lift power and speed
- very smooth and quiet
- 3 flight modes (beginner-intermediate-advanced) plus throttle limit dial
- the camera from the F45 fits on the bottom and plugs in (although these cameras are so-so)
EDIT: The F45 camera does not work with the x200. You must buy the new C4003 model.
- this is going to be a blast in a large field

Cons:
- canopy incorrectly labelled as 6-axis
- pcb light not visible to determine when binding is complete
- the AIL/Rud push button is close to the flight mode button and can be accidentally pressed during flight, which would not be good
- extra weight and momentum makes it more difficult to stabilize it into a hover (the momentum reminds me of the F45) - only an issue indoors
- throttle stick has a very stiff and grating feeling
- letting go of the cyclic stick induces an annoying wobble
- - AND - - - > the tx is NOT an upgrade to the x100 tx and is NOT COMPATIBLE with previous MJX releases (ie x100, F45)! -what???!!!

Note that I am flying in my living room. On my first few flights I was having a difficult time. I was flying on beginner mode. It hovers nicely but if you get it moving too fast it is very difficult to get back into a hover due to the momentum it carries. Also it tends to drift in random directions.

On my next flight I switched to intermediate setting and control was much better and I was starting to enjoy it. Still more challenging then the v929 but I think this quad will be happy (and very fast) in a large flying area. I am just not sure if I like the tx - but I will give it more time. Big problem is that this tx is certainly borderline and not compatible with any others that I have. I tried binding with MJX x100, MJX F45, WL E728, NE J6Pro.

Here a short test flight video. Sorry for the lighting but outdoors is transitioning to winter with daily rain and/or wet snow.

MJX x200 Test Flight (4 min 18 sec)
Last edited by gordonzo; Feb 05, 2013 at 05:00 PM.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:32 AM
Get Airborne
Sweden, Skåne County, Hofterup
Joined May 2012
343 Posts
Thanks for the review!

I am waiting for my X200, ordered two weeks ago.

Quote "- plenty of lift power and speed" is it better compared to V929?

Crazy that older MJX transmitters is incompatible.
Stenkryparen is offline Find More Posts by Stenkryparen
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:58 PM
Canada, BC, Salmon Arm
Joined Jan 2011
1,892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenkryparen View Post
Thanks for the review!

I am waiting for my X200, ordered two weeks ago.

Quote "- plenty of lift power and speed" is it better compared to V929?

Crazy that older MJX transmitters is incompatible.
My impression (after only 3 flights) is that the x200 has quicker throttle response, and it can really get moving. But it carries more momentum and can quickly get away from you in a small area. Also, if you just let go of the cyclic stick, the x200 'bounces'.

I found that on low rates it flys like a dog and the reponse is too muted to maintain control in my livingroom unless you just gently hover around. But I say 'If you want to hover, stick with a coaxial'. Intermediate rates are much much better once you get use to the controls.

I was hoping the tx would be an upgrade that could be used on my x100 and F45 but it appears to be a step down, as well as being incompatible.

There are 2 useless reviews on Banggood, both from the same person, both giving 5 stars, and both before he has even flown it!

After a few more flights, I will fly the x200 and v929 back to back, and report here. I really look forward to your impressions. . . .

Edit: I flew the x200 and v929 back to back. The v929 can be put back into a hover with just a flick of the cyclic but the x200 must be finessed back into a hover, or it will take off. I am not crazy about this new tx. Once it is hovering I was able to do 3 or 4 piros in place.

Regarding power, the x200 beginner is same as v929 40% and x200 intermediate same as v929 60%. Once I figured that out I would say that power and speed are very similar between the two.

I think maybe the tx cyclic spring is too stiff on the x200 which causes a bounce in the signal unless you very gently bring it back to hover.
EDIT: Nope. It's in the software and very annoying.

Next I will try the camera . . . .

regards . . . g
Last edited by gordonzo; Feb 05, 2013 at 05:02 PM.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:54 PM
Get Airborne
Joined May 2012
343 Posts
Gordonzo do you think the V929 propellers will fit the X200 (I have a lot of them).
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:53 PM
Canada, BC, Salmon Arm
Joined Jan 2011
1,892 Posts
Quote:
Gordonzo do you think the V929 propellers will fit the X200 (I have a lot of them).
The blades are physically the same size and profile but have a different mounting system.

The v929 blades press onto a round shaft and are secured with a scew from the side.

The x200 blades have a shorter stem with a larger hex-keyed hole, and mount onto a hex-shaped shaft with a screw through the top of the blade.

regards . . . g
Old Dec 03, 2012, 11:26 AM
United States, FL, Port Orange
Joined Sep 2001
414 Posts
MJX X200 not as pictured

I bought this quad thinking it was a 6 axis like the x100. The online photo shows 6 axis on the canopy. It is only 3 axis and no where near as stable as the x100. it is very tricky to fly indoors.

The question is: Can the 6 axis controller from the x100 be substituted in this x200?
kd4gfy is offline Find More Posts by kd4gfy
Old Dec 03, 2012, 12:38 PM
Canada, BC, Salmon Arm
Joined Jan 2011
1,892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kd4gfy View Post
I bought this quad thinking it was a 6 axis like the x100. The online photo shows 6 axis on the canopy. It is only 3 axis and no where near as stable as the x100. it is very tricky to fly indoors.

The question is: Can the 6 axis controller from the x100 be substituted in this x200?
The unfortunate label error on the canopy was noted in my cons above. The item descriptions do correctly list a 3-axis system.

That being said, I don't think a 6-axis control system is needed as the similar sized v929 flys great with 3-axis. I am convinced that the tx is the main issue here. You can control it much better if you put it on the intermediate flight mode and crank up the throttle limiter to near max. But it is a handful indoors.

I think the x100 firmware might have some issues with this heavier, longer arm, gear driven motor system. You would also need the x100 tx. It would certainly not be a direct swap but definitely an interesting mod.

EDIT: I tried it. Had to swap motor arms to get them turning in the right direction. Swapping the plugs alone did not work. It flies but is very unstable. Shortening the arms might help - I did not try.

regards . . . g
Last edited by gordonzo; Feb 05, 2013 at 05:06 PM.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 01:25 PM
United States, FL, Port Orange
Joined Sep 2001
414 Posts
X100 to x200 mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonzo View Post
The unfortunate label error on the canopy was noted in my cons above. The item descriptions do correctly list a 3-axis system.

That being said, I don't think a 6-axis control system is needed as the similar sized v929 flys great with 3-axis. I am convinced that the tx is the main issue here. You can control it much better if you put it on the intermediate flight mode and crank up the throttle limiter to near max. But it is a handful indoors.

I think the x100 firmware might have some issues with this heavier, longer arm, gear driven motor system. You would also need the x100 tx. It would certainly not be a direct swap but definitely an interesting mod.

regards . . . g
I have an x100 but have ordered an extra board for the x100. Will reply when I receive it and have tried it out
kd4gfy is offline Find More Posts by kd4gfy
Old Dec 04, 2012, 11:29 AM
Get Airborne
Joined May 2012
343 Posts
My intention with the X200 is to use it as a stable video camera carrier.

After reading gordonzos and kd4gfy opinion I doubt it will fulfill this task.

Perhaps its better to sell it before unpacking, and look for other brands of quads in this size.

What do you think?
Old Dec 04, 2012, 02:35 PM
Tinkerer of makeshift failures
Joined Jun 2012
325 Posts
I've just unpacked mine (i bought one when i still thought it was larger than the mqx... which is not) and i can confirm pretty much all impressions gordonzo had. Not suitable for indoor use, the original is buttery smooth compared to this; but it looks way sturdier, i'm gonna try it outside at the field when i get a chance.
Darsh is offline Find More Posts by Darsh
Old Dec 06, 2012, 11:15 AM
Get Airborne
Joined May 2012
343 Posts
Today my X200 arrived, of course I couldn't resist to unpack and try the bird.

After flying 1 battery inside and 2 outside in light wind (with snow falling) I realy like the quad.

Also tried with 13 gram payload, and it flew good.

In my opinion and compared with my well used V929, it is weary stable.

What ever flight status before, when no stick inputs the quad return in a stable hover.

There is some bad behavior (glitching) when aileron stick return to zero.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 11:56 AM
Canada, BC, Salmon Arm
Joined Jan 2011
1,892 Posts
Quote:
Today my X200 arrived, of course I couldn't resist to unpack and try the bird.

After flying 1 battery inside and 2 outside in light wind (with snow falling) I realy like the quad.

Also tried with 13 gram payload, and it flew good.

In my opinion and compared with my well used V929, it is weary stable.

What ever flight status before, when no stick inputs the quad return in a stable hover.

There is some bad behavior (glitching) when aileron stick return to zero.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's the part that makes it tricky for me to fly indoors. If I get it moving too quickly the cyclic wobble makes it tricky to get back into a hover. It's managable but I just find the v929 easier indoors.

I suspected it would be a good outdoor flyer so that is good to hear. Blustery weather does not permit me to try here now.

Do you think taking some tension off the cyclic stick springs might help?

regards . . . g
Old Dec 06, 2012, 09:31 PM
Get Airborne
Joined May 2012
343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonzo View Post
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's the part that makes it tricky for me to fly indoors. If I get it moving too quickly the cyclic wobble makes it tricky to get back into a hover. It's managable but I just find the v929 easier indoors.

I suspected it would be a good outdoor flyer so that is good to hear. Blustery weather does not permit me to try here now.

Do you think taking some tension off the cyclic stick springs might help?

regards . . . g
I have some skills in electronics so I shall investigate. The glitching only occurs when passing zero using the cyclic stick, not when using the cyclic trimmer, perhaps is the transmitters potentiometer (variable resistor) of bad design.

I don't think it help to release the spring tension of the stick, because even when slowly going to midpoint (zero) the glitching occurs.

The glitching is mostly a problem when flying inside in tight spaces, outside at some distance you don't notice it.

Compared to to the V929 I like the robust construction, and especially the robust motorarms, V929 motorarms always went weak and flimsy after some "hard landings". The propeller axles also seems to be more long lasting.

The X200 software is in my opinion better. Inside my small garage I can do numerous of fast turns (pirruets) without the bird going crazy, not possible with V929.

Outside flying in wind with payload is more predictable compared to my V929.

My board is marked "X200-RX 12/09/24".

Flipping is not my main thing, but flipping X200 is fun. Without time delay flipp after flipp is easy conducted when hovering at 1 meter above ground or flying fast in any direction.

Ordinary 600mAh LiPo (tigers) suited for the V929 fit good in the battery tray, although the are longer and slimmer compared to the OEM LiPo.

X200 weights 69,6 gram, my V929 with homemade additional LED light weights 63,2 gram. The bigger motorarms in aluminium and the 4 original LED lights is probably the main reason for the weight increase.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 10:35 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,022 Posts
When you took this pic had you flown it yet???...Note the cracked prop at the hub...

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene