HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 01, 2012, 08:08 PM
R.I.P
Australia, QLD, Toowoomba
Joined Jan 2010
3,509 Posts
Question
Thin wing servo for ds?

Hey I am about to start on a heavy scorcher and want some advice on servos.
I need to use thin wing servos on the ailerons so I have 3 choices- MKS 6125, 6125mini or the hyperion ds095.
Im happy to use 4.8volt, which seems to be a constraint for all of these servos and really wanted to avoid the mks 6125 if I can as they are so expensive.
In everyone's opinion are the ds095 or the mks 6125 mini up to the job of a no holds barred heavy (around 170oz) dser, which I want to be good above 300 if I can get there. The hyperions seem to have been forgotten since the mks came on the scene, but seem to be a great, super tight servo for the money, and have gone really fast in d60s, but are they up to what I am after?
If it turns out the full size mks are the only way to go, I'll go with them but its good to get everyone's opinion.
Cheers,
Josh
josh18 is offline Find More Posts by josh18
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 01, 2012, 11:17 PM
Just Fly it
USA, CA, Bakersfield
Joined Jul 2006
2,064 Posts
Thin wing servos

Not sure what you are putting them in. Makes all the difference. Not sure what a Scorcher is.
Indubitably is offline Find More Posts by Indubitably
Old Nov 02, 2012, 03:49 AM
Where is the inspiration
Moira
Joined Feb 2006
825 Posts
Most people round here have stoped putting DS095 in D60 due to the fact they fry.

MKS seem good

But there are other servos out there too that are also 10mm thick.

How thick is your wing?

KST do a MKS copy that I believe are performing quite well. main problem is condensation in the winter.

What are going into 2m kinetics? and 100" Kinetics? Can you fit them in?

Rgds the model, its not about the weight its about the speed, and the size of the ailerons.

Will
wdeighton is offline Find More Posts by wdeighton
Old Nov 02, 2012, 08:18 AM
Objects in mirror are losing
USA, NV, Reno
Joined May 2003
3,610 Posts
There are some new wing servos discussed in this thread.
1000MPH is offline Find More Posts by 1000MPH
Old Nov 02, 2012, 12:14 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2003
1,228 Posts
As far as 10mm thick servos are concerned, I would stick with the MKS DS6125 (not mini) and run it on a 4cell Nimh. I think adding the aluminum frames with the external bearings will allow them to go a little faster or into a larger plane and still survive. But, I think your Scorcher is a little too big for 10mm servos on the ailerons if you plan on going really fast... I don't recommend any 10mm servos for the K100 but they might work at lower speeds. Chris Bosley and I tried JR DS378 early on in the K100 and they just ripped apart when pushing high 300s. If we had the bearing kits on them they would have worked better. I love the MKS DS6125 for the K2m. Perfect fit and I think they are very much up to the task on those smaller control surfaces.

I'd recommend checking one of the online servo calculators for a torque estimate based on your geometry. Then weigh or estimate the mass and CG of one of your ailerons. Now you can calculate the G induced torque at 50-60G. On the ailerons you are lucky that more often than not, the aero forces are counteracting the 'G' forces (up aileron deflections being the exception). If you're getting near the limit of your servos, I'd be concerned about the motors heating up and losing torque and/or burning up.

If I were you, I'd consider a thicker servo like a JR DS398HV or even bigger... But, if you don't expect to go over 300-325mph, then go with the DS6125 and it will probably work fine.

Spencer
sll914 is offline Find More Posts by sll914
Old Nov 02, 2012, 01:37 PM
More like crunchman....
United Kingdom, Cheshire East
Joined Mar 2007
915 Posts
And if you can't fit frames but wish for external bearings, try some excellent Fu-Fix bearings from Tony Fu/Sloperacer.

http://www.sloperacer.co.uk/_content...earingkits.asp
dsman is offline Find More Posts by dsman
Old Nov 02, 2012, 01:51 PM
Just chillin @ 403 MPH
Boulder Colorado
Joined Nov 2005
5,225 Posts
I really like the MKS DS6125 (not mini) with the extra bearing alloy servo frames on a 5 cell battery pack with a voltage regulator in my Wizard compact DSX.

Not sure how fast it will go yet but steady as a rock so far.

Nick
Jantar2A is online now Find More Posts by Jantar2A
Old Nov 03, 2012, 04:19 AM
R.I.P
Australia, QLD, Toowoomba
Joined Jan 2010
3,509 Posts
Thanks a lot guys.
Spencer my scorcher is 2 metre as well, so if you reckon the 6125s are the go I reckon I'll go that way too, with bearing frames. My ailerons are pretty short in chord now too so I think that would help too. I take it you use the mks metal arms and drill shorter holes in them?
The ten mm servos are about as big as I can go anyway so I pretty much thought the mks would be my only choice. I'd love to try the kst mks copies but its not worth the risk I think.
Thanks again.
John here is a link to the scorcher http://www.rcspeeds.com/aircraftdetails.aspx?AC=397
josh18 is offline Find More Posts by josh18
Old Nov 03, 2012, 08:48 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2003
1,228 Posts
Dang, I thought your Scorcher was more like 3m from the photos I had seen.. Sorry! I think you're on the right track. FWIW, I've noticed that if I use the alum frames that the servos tend to survive even the worst crashes. Kind of reduces the cost of the servos if you know you'll get many lives out of them...

Yes, I drill a hole 5-6mm out for ailerons and grind off the rest. You might have to file down the hub and/or your clevis to get full forward throw without binding.

The knock offs are tempting but I think of the time I have invested in each airframe and realize it's just not worth risking it...

Your Scorcher looks great! Look forward to hearing more speeds from it.

Spencer
sll914 is offline Find More Posts by sll914
Old Nov 03, 2012, 09:32 AM
Just chillin @ 403 MPH
Boulder Colorado
Joined Nov 2005
5,225 Posts
For what its worth The knock off kst servos I tested were very cheap double centering weak peices of S**T

Nick
Jantar2A is online now Find More Posts by Jantar2A
Old Nov 03, 2012, 12:01 PM
In speed lies safety
USA
Joined Sep 2008
2,716 Posts
Where is the best source for the Kst servos and frame kits? I have yet to see them stocked at any LHS.
Aerogance is online now Find More Posts by Aerogance
Old Nov 03, 2012, 12:16 PM
USA, NV, Reno
Joined May 2003
3,610 Posts
FWIW, the Bluebird version claim to be HV.
http://www.blue-bird-model.com/en/hi.../bms-a56v.html
Old Nov 03, 2012, 12:20 PM
USA, NV, Reno
Joined May 2003
3,610 Posts
Here ya go Aaron.
Windrider
Old Nov 03, 2012, 12:26 PM
Brampton Ontario Canada
Joined Oct 2004
203 Posts
KST in USA

http://www.alofthobbies.com/radio-gear/servos.html
Spiker is offline Find More Posts by Spiker
Old Nov 03, 2012, 12:37 PM
In speed lies safety
USA
Joined Sep 2008
2,716 Posts
Are the KST the unreliable "knockoff MST" servos that Nick had trouble with? The price seems way low for a quality servo. I should probably look into the MST servos now that I think about it.
Aerogance is online now Find More Posts by Aerogance