HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 01, 2003, 03:54 PM
Northern California
Joined Dec 2003
6 Posts
Bay slopes for easterly winds

I'm a newbie to this so apologies if this is a dumb question, but are there any good slope sites in SF Bay Area for when the wind is coming predominantly from the East?
rcarlin is offline Find More Posts by rcarlin
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2003, 07:45 PM
Sunnyvale, California, United States
Joined Jul 2000
1,790 Posts
Rcarlin;

Check out these sites:

http://home.comcast.net/~axelb/start.html

http://tuffplanes.com

Each of these sites will tell which wind direction works best.

Also check out the yahoo groups dumpsters, if you are new to sloping and live in the Bay Area.

Henry

Windy Hill works great on a due East wind direction.
hmhoshi is offline Find More Posts by hmhoshi
Last edited by hmhoshi; Dec 01, 2003 at 07:49 PM.
Old Dec 02, 2003, 01:48 PM
rational exuberance
USA, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Aug 2003
1,650 Posts
RCarlin,

Try Vollmer Peak in Tilden. There are good directions on the axelb site Henry listed. I've only been there a couple times, but when the wind's right, the lift extends farther than you want to fly in any direction.

I'm a relative newbie too and I went on a good saturday once. There were some veterans flying big glass ships and they were extremely helpful and nice.

I had my wind meter out, only reading about 4mph and a couple of them came up and said, "Don't worry about the wind speed where we're standing, there's plenty of lift out there." So I chucked it out, and it flew great! Pretty soft landing on the right side too, just fly out to the right, come back in parallel to the ridge and land in the tall grass.

Good luck.
Duncan
Dunqun is offline Find More Posts by Dunqun
Old Dec 02, 2003, 04:37 PM
Joined Jul 2000
1,790 Posts
Hey! Duncan;

Where have you been, and I haven't seen you out at Coyote Hills since the wind dropped? Luckily we have had a few good days this winter so far, I surely hope we have many more.

I have started building my new 60" Electron DS, and I should be getting very soon a 60" P-51 from Leading Edger Gliders. That is what is going on with me.

I have not started on the Falco V 1.5 M glider, and has but on the back burner. But I plan to start it real soon.

Henry
Old Dec 02, 2003, 06:26 PM
rational exuberance
USA, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Aug 2003
1,650 Posts
Hey Henry!

I was very busy at work for a few weeks there, didn't make it up too many times.

But I was up there today with my Colibri-V. Wind started out low, but picked up. I'm near finished with my moth, hope to maiden soon. I'm really enjoying that Colibri. It's really great for low lift. But I had it up in 20mph last week and it did great, it has such good penetration.

I'll be very interested to see your Electron and especially your P-51! I think my next might have to be a foamie warbird. Let me know when you're going to fly those things.

-Duncan
Dunqun is offline Find More Posts by Dunqun
Old Dec 02, 2003, 08:29 PM
Joined Jul 2000
1,790 Posts
Duncan;

A lot of guys have Electrons, but Norm has the only 60" Electron DS right now because it is his new kit that replaced the 54" Electron.

What size Moth did you get, and did you get the M60? If it is it will really fly well.

If you want the best flying warbird, you need to get one from Leading Edge Gliders. I can't wait to get it built.

Henry
Old Dec 03, 2003, 08:56 PM
207 mph Foamy
San Jose CA
Joined Apr 2003
502 Posts
My Favorite Sites for East Winds

** Shell Ridge (great DS), Walnut Creek
(can't think of the name but it's accross the highway from Shell)
** Volmere Peak, (never flown it on a good day, take 580, no DS)
** Mission Ridge: (needs at least 20+ and then the DS is good, poor frontside lift on easterlies)
** McGuire Peaks: long walk but worth it at least once, wait for a big air day to make it worth it. Huge lift and huge backside. DS record capable
Tuffplanes is offline Find More Posts by Tuffplanes