SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Dec 17, 2012, 09:26 AM
Registered User
United States, AR, Lockesburg
Joined Feb 2012
1,075 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garrettt04s View Post
sending this nano back to seller. I cant figure out the problem. Before i put anymore into it i can buy a brand new one
@garrettt04s Did you check the servo linkages? My Nano was unflyable and I tried everything and it was only a small bend in the rear servo linkage that was rubbing on the servo. I do not know how that was causing problems but it is flyable now.
Petrie is offline Find More Posts by Petrie
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 17, 2012, 11:57 AM
Registered User
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Jun 2005
1,573 Posts
Guys - I've been considering selling my mcpx for a nano because I've heard of less tail-blowout issues. I'm a total 3d novice, so is there any other reason I should consider switching?
Hornetnz is online now Find More Posts by Hornetnz
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:15 PM
You down with EPP?
johnnyrocco123's Avatar
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornetnz View Post
Guys - I've been considering selling my mcpx for a nano because I've heard of less tail-blowout issues. I'm a total 3d novice, so is there any other reason I should consider switching?
I eventually grew tired of my mcpx. Somedays it flew great, somedays it would just geek out in the air. Blow outs and heavy bogging never went away either.

I have heard great things aobut the Nano, but I am still on the fence if it's worth getting one.
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:25 PM
Rocket Programmer
jasmine2501's Avatar
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
I eventually grew tired of my mcpx. Somedays it flew great, somedays it would just geek out in the air. Blow outs and heavy bogging never went away either.

I have heard great things aobut the Nano, but I am still on the fence if it's worth getting one.
It is a little better in that respect, but if you want solid performance all the time, go up to the 130X or up to a regular machine. These micro helis are sort of a novelty item - I don't think they are intended for serious flying, and they all have performance issues that you don't see in the bigger machines. They are fun to fly and useful for training, but if you're expecting good reliability and good performance all the way through the pack, you gotta go bigger.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:49 PM
Registered User
sirzeppu's Avatar
United States, UT, Farmington
Joined Aug 2011
1,427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
It is a little better in that respect, but if you want solid performance all the time, go up to the 130X or up to a regular machine. These micro helis are sort of a novelty item - I don't think they are intended for serious flying, and they all have performance issues that you don't see in the bigger machines. They are fun to fly and useful for training, but if you're expecting good reliability and good performance all the way through the pack, you gotta go bigger.
I agree. My 130x has been OK, but it lacks the power and quality feel of my 450x or HK 450 (mind you the hk has 40 bucks worth of align parts and a second hand set of carbon blades). The 130 is fun to hop up and every now and then it gets wrecked because I flub up and don't have the power to get out of trouble. I have never crashed either of my 450s and I make plenty of mistakes flying them.

As far as fun to fly factor, the nano beats the 130 and the 450s beat them both. I like the nano a lot for its versatility. Fwiw, the 130 is closer in feel to a bigger machine...but its not without its headaches. I wonder why the 300 doesn't get more attention as a good next step from basic CP .its not much more than the 130 and its got a lot in common with bigger machines. I don't know...once you move up from the 130x things start breaking in crashes too.

I guess the bump in performance of the bigger machines comes at a cost too.
sirzeppu is online now Find More Posts by sirzeppu
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 01:34 PM
More jets than a carburetor
skydve76's Avatar
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Sep 2008
2,815 Posts
I just bought the Nano after seeing it. No flybar means no toilet bowling like the MSR.
I havent flown it, but if it flies like on the videos I have seen I can tell you straight up it beast the carp out of the Blade 400. Talk about vibes, and tail blowouts....

They should rename it to the blowout 400.

I agree if you want serious 3D get a bigger heli but this is made for indoor 3d, as in living room 3D. You cant find much better.

If you are going to the park or flying field leave the nano at home and get a 450 sized at least.
skydve76 is offline Find More Posts by skydve76
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 01:35 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
turboparker's Avatar
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
It is a little better in that respect, but if you want solid performance all the time, go up to the 130X or up to a regular machine. These micro helis are sort of a novelty item - I don't think they are intended for serious flying, and they all have performance issues that you don't see in the bigger machines. They are fun to fly and useful for training, but if you're expecting good reliability and good performance all the way through the pack, you gotta go bigger.
+1! Very well-put!

My stock nCPX flies better than my mCPX ever did (even after going bl on the main). But it still doesn't fly like a "regular heli". Use it for the intended purpose & it will perform as it should. But don't expect it to be something it's not. It is not rational to expect a $150 1s dd tail heli with brushed motors to have the performance or longevity of a $280 or $380 TT or BT 2s or 3s brushless bird. As the song says - "there ain't no Coupe de Ville hiding at the bottom of a Cracker Jack box."

For those who say the 130X lacks power - try a TP 325 mAh 65c pack. The TP 325 65c pack provides the highest power-to-weight of any 2s pack that will fit the 130X. I have never ran out of power when trying to get out of trouble - and I consider myself to be a rather poor heli pilot with crappy collective-management skills.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Dec 17, 2012 at 01:41 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 01:37 PM
Registered User
United Kingdom
Joined Nov 2012
124 Posts
Forgive a noob but I've been wrestling with this exact question.

I'm looking at the nano as best suited to indoor/backyard with light winds, the 130x as backyard/park material and the 300x as strictly park only. I suppose it depends how much space is available in each category, which will vary by person. I know I can't afford to crash a 300x with much conviction.

My plan is to start with the 130x because it 'flies big' with the pitched tail rotor, and assuming vibration is manageable, I'll drop in an uprated motor to alleviate bogging. The nano does look like fun, so it's a close decision.

Not sure if that helps anyone, but it helps me to put it in words.
Thwock is offline Find More Posts by Thwock
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 02:11 PM
Registered User
kenelder's Avatar
USA, FL, St Petersburg
Joined Dec 2003
990 Posts
Get the nano- fly over grass and hit the throttle hold before you crash = no damage.
kenelder is online now Find More Posts by kenelder
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 02:17 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
turboparker's Avatar
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydve76 View Post
......I agree if you want serious 3D get a bigger heli but this is made for indoor 3d, as in living room 3D. You cant find much better.

If you are going to the park or flying field leave the nano at home and get a 450 sized at least.
I also agree - except for the last part about the park. One should never fly anything larger than a 450 in a public park unless one can absolutely guarantee that no person or pet could ever enter the flying area. Those birds should never be flown in uncontrolled environments - as is the case for all ICE-powered planes and electric planes that weigh over 2 pounds and/or go over 60 MPH. A 450 is even pushing it, in my opinion. Either fly them on private property or join a club.

Those who fly large helis & planes in uncontrolled pubic areas where people are present ruin the hobby for the rest of us. They are the reason why many cities specifically prohibit all RC flying activities in their parks. The media goes crazy over stories of RC aircraft hurting people, and there are always groups who want to heavily regulate us or shut us down. RC flying privileges in the US have been in jeopardy on a number of occasions due to bad press & the resulting negative public image. (Yes - flying RC is a privilege, not a right. As such, it comes with a set of responsibilities.)

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Dec 17, 2012 at 02:25 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 02:36 PM
Registered User
sirzeppu's Avatar
United States, UT, Farmington
Joined Aug 2011
1,427 Posts
I will not fly anything larger than a 130 in a park...and fixed wing I limit to micros or just a bit bigger. It is my belief that shared parks that so not have a place set aside for flying are not appropriate for anything but the lightest airplanes/helis. Even the 130 would do some damage to hands and face.

Perhaps I have had a bad 130 since the beginning, but my 130 is NOT forgiving of my nooby collective skills...though I have not tried the TP batteries...so I will give that a shot.

The nano is an extremely fun heli and I heartily recommend it. I have never had an mcpx so I can't comment how it compares.
sirzeppu is online now Find More Posts by sirzeppu
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 02:46 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
I also agree - except for the last part about the park. One should never fly anything larger than a 450 in a public park unless one can absolutely guarantee that no person or pet could ever enter the flying area.
Well put turboparker! I had an incident with a 450 helicopter that left me with bleeding welts on my arms and legs. If that would have happened to some innocent bystander, it would have hurt a lot more.

I am fortunate because I live right across the street from a soccer field/oval track. In the winter I can just plug in a battery and walk over there and have it all to myself. In the summer it gets used a lot by other people. If I see there are people there, I can drive to another location that is 10 minutes away and not have to worry about scaring anybody.

I also feel fortunate to live in a fairly unpopulated part of the country. Onlookers are always positive and want to know where I bought it and how high it can go. In some parts of the country they would be calling the police.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 02:55 PM
Registered User
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Jun 2005
1,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
+1! Very well-put!

My stock nCPX flies better than my mCPX ever did (even after going bl on the main). But it still doesn't fly like a "regular heli". Use it for the intended purpose & it will perform as it should. But don't expect it to be something it's not. It is not rational to expect a $150 1s dd tail heli with brushed motors to have the performance or longevity of a $280 or $380 TT or BT 2s or 3s brushless bird. As the song says - "there ain't no Coupe de Ville hiding at the bottom of a Cracker Jack box."

For those who say the 130X lacks power - try a TP 325 mAh 65c pack. The TP 325 65c pack provides the highest power-to-weight of any 2s pack that will fit the 130X. I have never ran out of power when trying to get out of trouble - and I consider myself to be a rather poor heli pilot with crappy collective-management skills.

Joel
Thanks for the comments everyone I'm aware that bigger flies better, but I prefer to stick to the small helis for now so there's less damage and cost to worry about as I'm learning aerobatics. Not to mention the take anywhere, fly anywhere bonus.
Hornetnz is online now Find More Posts by Hornetnz
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 03:51 PM
hovering-stage
Joined Dec 2012
5 Posts
Will be buying a nano with dx6i on friday
alanthor is offline Find More Posts by alanthor
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 03:59 PM
Registered User
datura's Avatar
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Dec 2012
319 Posts
I love this thing! I have crashed SO MANY TIMES with only minor damage, no replaced parts yet. I tried flying my MSRx yesterday and it felt so dull and boring in comparison ;-)

I think it could even be a good semi-beginner heli if you have a computerized radio and can run 10% data rate, lol.
datura is offline Find More Posts by datura
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cool Walkera MiNi CP - Smallest 100 sized 3D helicopter zadaw Micro Helis 5753 Today 10:01 AM
Discussion is there anything better than mcpx v2 at same or smaller size? Legendary_Agent 3D Electric Heli Flying 33 Feb 24, 2012 09:46 PM
Question Whatís Better than a Blade CP and Smaller than a Trex? HavingFun2002 Micro Helis 74 Mar 05, 2006 06:07 PM