SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
Old Apr 06, 2012, 01:50 AM
Hola
Joined Mar 2012
12 Posts
Hey guys,

I picked up a DH 9116, and I love it so far. Only thing is when I start to hover, it sways to the right (like the right aileron stick is being pushed), and goes a little to the back. The main thing is that it sways to the right. Any ideas on how to fix this?

I've tried trimming it once in the air and it really doesn't help. What would you suggest?

Also, for others on here - what is a good plug and play brushless motor setup for this helicopter? I'd like to replace the main and tail motor to brushless since apparently (from reading) the motors tend to go out after a few flights. I'm only about 5 flights in (all outdoors) and love this little guy minus the swaying to the right.

Thanks.
yahhtrick is offline Find More Posts by yahhtrick
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 06, 2012, 03:05 AM
Eugene
Whizgig's Avatar
Australia, VIC, Delacombe
Joined Oct 2006
918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yahhtrick View Post
Hey guys,

I picked up a DH 9116, and I love it so far. Only thing is when I start to hover, it sways to the right (like the right aileron stick is being pushed), and goes a little to the back. The main thing is that it sways to the right. Any ideas on how to fix this?

I've tried trimming it once in the air and it really doesn't help. What would you suggest?

Also, for others on here - what is a good plug and play brushless motor setup for this helicopter? I'd like to replace the main and tail motor to brushless since apparently (from reading) the motors tend to go out after a few flights. I'm only about 5 flights in (all outdoors) and love this little guy minus the swaying to the right.

Thanks.
Ok firstly welcome to the thread.

As for the setup of the heli refer to ( click on Stormforce's name) it will take you to the blog which has a guide to set up the heli.

No you can't put brushless motors in this heli unless you can do away with the board and put in all of the required componants yourself or rewire the board and put in a brushless system.
Whizgig is offline Find More Posts by Whizgig
Old Apr 06, 2012, 03:20 AM
still a lot to learn!!!!
Auflyer's Avatar
Australia, NSW, Laurieton
Joined Jan 2012
306 Posts
Mick,

The missing bit of the canopy flew out when it was about 20 mts above the vacant block next door which is covered in 3ft of grass and weeds. I had a spare blue canopy so its ok. I like to keep a spare of both on hand.
Auflyer is offline Find More Posts by Auflyer
Old Apr 06, 2012, 03:35 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2011
1,246 Posts
...and you haven't been out looking for it, sheesh!!!
stormforce is offline Find More Posts by stormforce
Old Apr 06, 2012, 10:23 AM
Cranky old fart
Balr14's Avatar
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
You can buy a brushless motor, ESC and converter for the main motor, for about $50. The tail motor is a problem, however. Brushless motors start and stop slower than brushed motors, which makes them a poor choice for a tail motor, except in some small micros. Brushed tail motors often have a hard time keeping up with the torque of a brushless main. I've owned a few HBFPs with brushless mains and DD tails running 11.1v, which seems to work OK. But, not much luck at lower voltage. If you are going to run a brushless main, you usually swap to a belt or shaft drive tail. It's not cost effective at all, though. A Walkera CB180Z is the same size as the 9116, has nearly the same head design and comes with a brushless main and shaft drive tail.

Some people who really like their 45 flybar FP helis, buy HK250 kits and swap the head and whatever other parts they can use over to it.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Apr 06, 2012, 10:59 AM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2012
521 Posts
Balr14 would you be interested in some of my experiments with the CB180Z and the F180? I am playing with some slipper clutch and shear pin (shock)
ideas. If not on here as it OT would you like to go PM?
Since you are starting in multi rotor and I have a MQX also this is another
line of discussion as well.
Thanks,
Bill
freezywilly is offline Find More Posts by freezywilly
Old Apr 06, 2012, 11:25 AM
Cranky old fart
Balr14's Avatar
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freezywilly View Post
Balr14 would you be interested in some of my experiments with the CB180Z and the F180? I am playing with some slipper clutch and shear pin (shock)
ideas. If not on here as it OT would you like to go PM?
Since you are starting in multi rotor and I have a MQX also this is another
line of discussion as well.
Thanks,
Bill
I'm always interested in just about anything. I just love to figure out how stuff works. Mutli-rotor is going to be a challenge because it's mostly electronics, which is where I really suck. But, I've started building my own micro quad. Give me a few years and I'll be an expert (at spending money, anyway).

Lots of people PM me for help, discuss ideas, answer my stupid questions, etc. But, I'm not fussy; anywhere you like is fine with me. If it's stuff others would like to know, or can contribute to, start a new topic and I'll jump in.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Apr 06, 2012, 02:46 PM
Tom
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Dec 2011
255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yahhtrick View Post
Hey guys,



Also, for others on here - what is a good plug and play brushless motor setup for this helicopter? I'd like to replace the main and tail motor to brushless since apparently (from reading) the motors tend to go out after a few flights. I'm only about 5 flights in (all outdoors) and love this little guy minus the swaying to the right.

Thanks.
First, do the mechanical setup on the heli as the chances of it being correct out of the box are pretty slim. The idea is to get it mechanically close to a hands off hover and only use the TX trim to correct minor flight problems that might change from day to day.

As to motor life - it's much greater than a few flights. I've been flying twice a day, weather permitting, since I got it so probably 100 flights total and I just installed my third motor this morning so figure 50 full battery flights. Plus, I'm hard on the motor - running the 900mah batteries and pretty much keep it aloft for the full 9-10 minutes the battery last. The motor is always hot to the touch afterwards. I'm sure if I went back to the stock battery which provides 7-8 minutes of flight time and a little less performance, I'd get even longer life but that's no fun.

Spares from China are dirt cheap so order several along with several tail boom/motor combos (also dirt cheap). I read the horror stories of people who are flying "much better" helis and while they aren't replacing motors, they are replacing gears on a pretty regular basis with even a minor crash. I know from experience you can fly the 9116 at full speed into the side of your house and break very little in the process (not that I recommend flying it into your house!).
tom4416 is offline Find More Posts by tom4416
Old Apr 06, 2012, 04:32 PM
Hola
Joined Mar 2012
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom4416 View Post
First, do the mechanical setup on the heli as the chances of it being correct out of the box are pretty slim. The idea is to get it mechanically close to a hands off hover and only use the TX trim to correct minor flight problems that might change from day to day.

As to motor life - it's much greater than a few flights. I've been flying twice a day, weather permitting, since I got it so probably 100 flights total and I just installed my third motor this morning so figure 50 full battery flights. Plus, I'm hard on the motor - running the 900mah batteries and pretty much keep it aloft for the full 9-10 minutes the battery last. The motor is always hot to the touch afterwards. I'm sure if I went back to the stock battery which provides 7-8 minutes of flight time and a little less performance, I'd get even longer life but that's no fun.

Spares from China are dirt cheap so order several along with several tail boom/motor combos (also dirt cheap). I read the horror stories of people who are flying "much better" helis and while they aren't replacing motors, they are replacing gears on a pretty regular basis with even a minor crash. I know from experience you can fly the 9116 at full speed into the side of your house and break very little in the process (not that I recommend flying it into your house!).
Thanks! I've flown it into the house, stuck in a tree branch about 20 feet up, into a tree, and NO damage that affects flight. Just some scrapes on the canopy and the blades. What a force!
yahhtrick is offline Find More Posts by yahhtrick
Old Apr 06, 2012, 04:33 PM
Hola
Joined Mar 2012
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whizgig View Post
Ok firstly welcome to the thread.

As for the setup of the heli refer to ( click on Stormforce's name) it will take you to the blog which has a guide to set up the heli.

No you can't put brushless motors in this heli unless you can do away with the board and put in all of the required componants yourself or rewire the board and put in a brushless system.
Thanks! Storm force has some good stuff - I'll make the adjustments.
yahhtrick is offline Find More Posts by yahhtrick
Old Apr 06, 2012, 06:01 PM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2012
58 Posts
So, you can fly a sim like that, but the real thing up to a DH 9116 is approaching your ability level? Hmm... I can't fly that SIM (Don't have 4ch controller either, but I can't keep IT in the air for more than a second!)
wavy is offline Find More Posts by wavy
Old Apr 06, 2012, 06:42 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2011
1,246 Posts
Firstly, sim's offer a person the ability to try out new things knowing that if they crash it, it is not going to hurt, so the confidence is very high and people have a tendency to play, rather than seriously fly a model, and learn during the process.

I can fly my 6ch CP heli, my Walkera 4F200LM, but I'm hesitant to do the things I do on a sim on it in real life. I crash very often on a sim, usually due to me misjudging where the ground is pulling out of a turn or loop. I think it's the lack of peripheral vision and other signs we come to take for granted when flying a real heli. We are tuned to be part of our surroundings, where on a sim, we can't. Virtual 3D glasses or FPV glasses would help to immerse you into the sim world, but for a home system it is too much expense.
stormforce is offline Find More Posts by stormforce
Old Apr 06, 2012, 06:58 PM
Cranky old fart
Balr14's Avatar
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
Hey, that's what we need, a 3D sim with a nice 55" 3D TV! Then I wouldn't be bouncing my helis off the ground so much. I wouldn't be able to buy any helis, though.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Apr 06, 2012, 10:42 PM
fly by night
Joined Apr 2012
5 Posts
9116 questions

Hey guys, Im new to the 9116 and the forum. Glad I found this group seems really helpful. So heres my problem. Just got my 9116 the other day after work. I've been waiting for over a week so obviously I had to charge it and take it right out. By the time I got it all set it was fairly dark, aside for the outside lights on the house. also it was windy. Prob 10mph, basically i had no business flying.... anyways the heli flew great right out of the box, i had several great take offs, maneuver and lands. Couldn't leave well enough alone and took it up a bit and the wind started to pull it, so I had to fly over my garage, prob 30 feet up then started for the woods! I end up panicking and get stuck 30-40 feet up in tree. wasn't a bad crash but getting it down was a little rough. some cracks to canopy prob from the fall. Basically everything is intact though. aside from canopy. So i charged it back up and now tail rotor doesn't seem to be working (spins sometimes but only for a second). Also it will start to throttle up and right before take off power cuts out. Any suggestions on where to start? pcb, tail rotor motor, main motor, all the above? I just don't want to start replacing things if I don't need to. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'll stick to daylight and low wind from now on promise.
900ftjesus is offline Find More Posts by 900ftjesus
Old Apr 07, 2012, 04:26 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2011
1,246 Posts
Welcome, 900ftjesus (where do you guy's come up with your usernames!!!),

As for your crash and resulting issues, it really hard to tell, but I'd start to look at the pcb or the MOPS, which is part of the pcb. It's sounds like when the heli got stuck in the tree, you tried to spin it up in the hope of loosening it from the grip of the tree. Bad move unfortunately. if the tail or main blades can't spin, it overloads the motors, which in turn overheats the MOPS (motor overload protection system), which is designed to stop the motors from burning up, unfortunately, when the MOPS burns out, it stops the motors from working. Replace this and you've got half a chance of flying your beloved heli again.

If ribble or whizgig wants to jump in and find suitable aftermarket replacement, as I don't really know what it is inside the red loop, it would be appreciated, as this has been an all too common occurance with new comers lately. There has to be a cheaper and easier solution than just buying another whole pcb.

Mick.
stormforce is offline Find More Posts by stormforce
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product the first double horse 2.4G and 4CH single blade helicopter 9116 hkmtk Beginner Training Area (Heli-Electric) 32 May 21, 2013 02:27 PM
Help! Heli Spins out when ascending (Z101, looks like the double horse) Shlofter Electric Heli Talk 5 Aug 16, 2012 02:59 AM
Discussion Double Horse 9097 24" Heli Jake8131 Electric Heli Talk 8 Mar 14, 2012 08:05 AM
Sold 9089 Double Horse Shuttle Electric Heli w/Video DVR Senor Jack Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 0 Apr 10, 2011 09:15 PM