HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 03, 2011, 09:59 AM
Chicago , Illinois
Joined Jul 2008
929 Posts
Poll
Keeping Scores at your local pond races

For you racing sailors out there,
What method does your club use to tally scores for individual races ?

This season our Chicago club is trying a simple form on 3.5"X5" index card
stock ( because it is more durable than std. 20# paper) your name and sail
number,and the date go at the top-then we just write down our finish
position for each heat and total it.we bought a box of those little 3 inch
pencils like you use at putt-putt golf to write down the info.we do a dozen
races each Sunday-the club sec. keeps track of the scores for our fleets.
what we are doing IS working, but...

-what system works for you ? there is always a better way !

Allan
thorsail is offline Find More Posts by thorsail
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 03, 2011, 10:35 AM
Guz
Gutless wonder
Tempe, AZ
Joined Dec 2005
3,139 Posts
We use an iPhone app (when the owner of the iPhone shows up).

I don't know the name of the app, but it's simple to use. Enter the names at the beginning of the day. Then just tap the names in the order of their finish per race. It keeps the overall order, and does the throw-out races when enough races have been completed.

We did find one bug when trying to determine overall ties. But it's easy to eyeball the results and adjust accordingly.
Guz is offline Find More Posts by Guz
Old Aug 03, 2011, 01:31 PM
Chicago , Illinois
Joined Jul 2008
929 Posts
Guz
OK ! -hey, if you ever find out what that app is called will you post
it here so others can look into it ?
Thanks
thorsail is offline Find More Posts by thorsail
Old Aug 05, 2011, 11:34 AM
United States, MA, Bristol
Joined Sep 2009
1,561 Posts
The AMYA has a scoring program available for free on their site. Looks pretty easy to use if a laptop is available.
seefest is offline Find More Posts by seefest
Old Aug 05, 2011, 11:36 AM
United States, MA, Bristol
Joined Sep 2009
1,561 Posts
Does each competitor write down his own score? I hope not. Should have a dedicated scorer.
seefest is offline Find More Posts by seefest
Old Aug 05, 2011, 02:23 PM
Joined Mar 2009
48 Posts
the iphone app is called Sail Score its $4.99 in the app store
tacomarunner is offline Find More Posts by tacomarunner
Old Aug 07, 2011, 09:46 AM
United States, MA, Wenham
Joined Jan 2007
1,508 Posts
Printable PDF scoresheets are available from AMYA:
http://www.theamya.org/resources/scoresheets/

But, I think I'll be buying that Sail Score app pretty soon.
breakwater is online now Find More Posts by breakwater
Old Aug 07, 2011, 06:55 PM
Canada, BC, Lake Cowichan
Joined Jul 2011
526 Posts
The standard for scoring RC racing is the HMS system. While it is designed to run a regatta, it could be used to score a season-long series

http://onemetre.sbmyc.com/forums/download.php?id=624

These are used for full-sized sailing results, but should work for your needs. I think that these are all free.

http://www.halsraceresults.com/Default.aspx

http://bedfords.org/scoring/

http://www.regattascoringsolutions.c...Solutions.html

http://www.racesail.org/

John
hiljoball is online now Find More Posts by hiljoball
Old Aug 07, 2011, 07:48 PM
Guz
Gutless wonder
Tempe, AZ
Joined Dec 2005
3,139 Posts
Here's the iPhone, iPod touch app that my sailing buddy uses:

M3 Club Racing - Sailing Regatta Control

Compatible with iPhone, iPod touch (2nd generation), iPod touch (3rd generation), iPod touch (4th generation), and iPad. Requires iOS 2.2 or later
Old Aug 08, 2011, 01:06 AM
United States, KS, Wichita
Joined Feb 2008
363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guz View Post
Here's the iPhone, iPod touch app that my sailing buddy uses:

M3 Club Racing - Sailing Regatta Control

Compatible with iPhone, iPod touch (2nd generation), iPod touch (3rd generation), iPod touch (4th generation), and iPad. Requires iOS 2.2 or later
I downloaded the other app--not this one, and like it except it doesn't seem to have a contingency for discards/throwouts. Our club usually throws at least one per regatta or 2 depending on the amount of heats.

Does this one have that built in? I'd hate to download another without that.

Up to this point, we've had a clipboard with a paper score sheet, and when I got home I'd tally the scores using Sailwave (www.sailwave.com) which is a great free program that has all of the features. It would be nice to have something that allows instant results on the spot...

Andy
flatlandsailor is offline Find More Posts by flatlandsailor
Old Aug 08, 2011, 10:55 AM
Guz
Gutless wonder
Tempe, AZ
Joined Dec 2005
3,139 Posts
It will do throw out's, but I think it has preset values for X total number of races, then throw out Y. I don't know what the X and Y values are.

I do know that the version my friend uses (not sure if he is on the current), but it doesn't do tie's properly.
Old Aug 08, 2011, 08:13 PM
Upside down, downunder in Oz
Thornlie, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guz View Post
It will do throw out's, but I think it has preset values for X total number of races, then throw out Y. I don't know what the X and Y values are.

I do know that the version my friend uses (not sure if he is on the current), but it doesn't do tie's properly.
Discards are normally after 4, 8, 16 and every 8 races after that.

For events, and club sailing, we use HMS2007, which is an Excel spreadsheet, with some macros to automate it. One of the guys brings down his Netbook, and feeds places in at end of the day.

On our state website (www.rsawa.asn.au), I use an add-in for the website called Seminar. This is an event booking package, that I have set up for events. For state events, skippers can enter online. Just before the event, I download a file from Seminar that has all the entrant details (name, sail number, boat, etc) and email that to the scorer, along with a modified version of HMS2007 a mate did for me.

The modified version I send to the scorer will read in the Seminar file and auto populate the spreadsheet, so there is no long tedious data entry of details required by the scorer!

Most skippers enter online now, which saves a lot of work.
Moby58 is online now Find More Posts by Moby58
Old Aug 08, 2011, 10:33 PM
Joined Jan 2006
598 Posts
HLMYC uses a clip board with a score sheet sitting near the finish line. first boat across grabs the clipboard and starts writing down numbers. Seems to work pretty well. Then into a spread sheet at the end of the day.
slotracer577 is offline Find More Posts by slotracer577
Old Aug 08, 2011, 10:37 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2007
1,497 Posts
All great ideas for the Big Raceday Regattas..

Not much chop at the Local Pond & Lakeside unless you have all the Gizmos, Power, printers etc. Most Likely a scorers tent to avoid the wind & rain.

What is wrong with the Simple Clipboard & a Blank formatted scoresheet & the old fashioned pen.. First past the post scores the remaining fleet if there isn't an official scorer.

Know the results very quick. Bring along the calculator,, It's called a brain.

Simple to add up the scores & work things out. Everybody who is interested will know the winner & places in a few minutes.. Want to know where you stand each race, well work it out for yourself. Even HMS scorers rarely have accurate placing at the end of each race. They still have to score the finishers then plug in the data then have a result..

All takes time. Time where racing & wind is lost. And does HMS deal with Handicap Racing or Carry-over handicaps.. ??? After all lots of clubs use a handicap system to keep racing interesting.

Pen & Paper for Me...Far Simpler..

Plug it all in to the computer when you get home.. If it is really that important.

Sail for Fun not Plastic Trophies

Cheers

John
waboats is offline Find More Posts by waboats
Last edited by waboats; Aug 09, 2011 at 01:03 AM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 09, 2011, 12:15 AM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,109 Posts
Guz,

Love that App, I have shown it to a few of the clubs I race at, they love idea, how easy to just hit the name as the finish, don't you love technology. Shame it is an App store that we in Aust can't access hopefully the Aust itunes store will pick it up.

Mike
8387mike is offline Find More Posts by 8387mike