HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 29, 2011, 10:42 AM
I'm a pilot... 100 yrs to late
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,460 Posts
Question
Lightweight large amount cheap covering ideas

I'm looking something lighweight, and cheap that I can use to cover an approx 30 ft span wing. Does not need to be continuous in length but would prefer longer sections.

For example extrap large garbage bags opened up would have possibilities but I'm wonderign if the all the seams needing joining would be an issue. Maybe they could be melted together to form a continous sheet. Think outside the box!!

Any ideas and suggestions are very much appreciated.... This is for the redbull flugtag competition assuming my application gets picked

Thanks,
Mike
Thermalin is offline Find More Posts by Thermalin
to remove ads between posts
Old May 08, 2011, 07:59 PM
De-Brushed user
Midland, Tx / W. Lafayette, Ind.
Joined Dec 2002
2,949 Posts
Go to the hardware store and look in the painting section, you should be able to find a drop cloth that will handle the whole span with no seams. Also, they come in different thicknesses. For more strength consider a tarp, the fiberglass fibers will be alot stronger.

I did Flugtag: Had some fun but got a pretty good concussion.
CAFplanekid is offline Find More Posts by CAFplanekid
Old May 25, 2011, 12:51 PM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAFplanekid View Post
Go to the hardware store and look in the painting section, you should be able to find a drop cloth that will handle the whole span with no seams. Also, they come in different thicknesses. For more strength consider a tarp, the fiberglass fibers will be alot stronger.

I did Flugtag: Had some fun but got a pretty good concussion.
thanks.. I plan on pretty much disguising a primary glider and of course plan to wear a helmet which may or may or may not help.
Old May 25, 2011, 07:39 PM
De-Brushed user
Joined Dec 2002
2,949 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermalin View Post
thanks.. I plan on pretty much disguising a primary glider and of course plan to wear a helmet which may or may or may not help.
They provide helmet, chest pads, etc. Be sure to bring your own GoPro or other helmet cam, we get screwed and they didn't give us one. If you can do a cad model of your concept, provide that with your entry. (They said that is what got us in over the 4 other Purdue entries). We also did scale model 'flight testing' and provided that with our entry.

Honestly we were not all that impressed with how they ran things, but it was a huge event and fun.
Old Jun 06, 2011, 12:20 PM
Joined Nov 2010
71 Posts
Hello, I built a glider out of the old popular mechanics magazine last summer and covered it with 9 ply black plastic that you can buy at bimart for a few bucks, really strong and fairly light. it is like 8 feet wide and 20 or a little more long don't really remember. Used gorilla tape to hold it to the fusalage, as soon as the tape gets warm it cements its self to the plastic, Good luck and be safe...... things do happen.....
Austin
Foam crasher is offline Find More Posts by Foam crasher
Old Jun 07, 2011, 11:17 PM
Whats a search engine?
Missouri
Joined Jun 2006
886 Posts
Ditto on Gorilla tape ! That tape has got the GUTS!
You would not need to heat seam the plastic , that's for sure! . Be careful where you stick it because once stuck it will rip the plastic before it lets go. Get some help handling it . You ought to be able to get the plastic film drum skin tight using Gorilla tape !
I'd do another color besides black though , That stuff gets hot quick and sags / stretches bad. A clear or opaque will work and you can spray paint it with Krylon plastic paint .
inventing_man is offline Find More Posts by inventing_man
Last edited by inventing_man; Jun 07, 2011 at 11:25 PM.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 04:23 PM
Thermite + ice = Big boom.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Apr 2009
2,359 Posts
wing wrapping, double layered for your application., you can buy it on HK in the accessories section.
boaterguy is offline Find More Posts by boaterguy
Old Jun 16, 2011, 05:11 PM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,460 Posts
What is wing wrapping and what is HK?

Foam crasher.. what year of popular mechanics?

I've used gorilla tape before.. didnt think of using it hear..it is good stuff.

MIke
Old Jun 16, 2011, 05:57 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Apr 2009
2,359 Posts
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...5&ParentCat=58
any of the ones on here, choose a colour that suits you
they are a japanese/chinese RC company, they are not very reliable, and have bad customer service, but you can't beat their prices
I have never had a problem with them, shipping can vary from a few days to a few weeks to 10 years, yes people have received orders 10 years after just forgetting about the parts.
this stuff is used in model gliders and planes.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 01:05 PM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boaterguy View Post
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...5&ParentCat=58
any of the ones on here, choose a colour that suits you
they are a japanese/chinese RC company, they are not very reliable, and have bad customer service, but you can't beat their prices
I have never had a problem with them, shipping can vary from a few days to a few weeks to 10 years, yes people have received orders 10 years after just forgetting about the parts.
this stuff is used in model gliders and planes.
I;ve used hobbyking before w/out incident.. I didn't know you were meaning the heat shrink coverings.. I think that woiuld take to much for 6 x 30 ft wing....not in the budget but would be nice tg use
Old Jun 18, 2011, 09:37 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Apr 2009
2,359 Posts
it would be great, it's much cheaper than anywhere else, I spent 20$ for 1.8m at my local hobby store (LHS)
I can't think of much else other than garbage bags and duct/gorilla tape.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 04:21 PM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,460 Posts
Any ideas on Ribs... I've located a 1ft thick 4ft wide 20ft long sheet of foam for $100. Cutting it in half lengthwise for 6" thick ribs or thinner would be enough to make all I neeed. I'm thinking pvc spars with cables underneath to stop positive G wing folding. Cable on top just to support until launch.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 06:57 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Apr 2009
2,359 Posts
you could just make a large airfoil carved out of foam, and put carbon rods or wood down the wing for strength
Old Jun 25, 2011, 02:07 PM
De-Brushed user
Joined Dec 2002
2,949 Posts
I can't remember the name of the plane, but there is a manned, powered plane that has been around a while made out of pink insulation foam. Search for it.

That is a huge piece of foam! Ribs could be made of regular 2" insulation foam for less cost and easier cutting. Cap the ribs with yard sticks.

PVC is pretty flexy: you might be able to find bamboo at a landscaping store.

The best craft at the event I was at was built like a huge kite, by a company specializing in fabric and aluminum tube sculptures. It had a surprising glide ratio, thanks to a huge wing area. I have not really seen any conventional air foil designs do well. You just can't get enough airspeed, and alot of the time the wings buckle as soon as they go off the edge and fall.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 05:03 AM
Rusty
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Feb 2006
908 Posts
Document laminating film is pretty cheap and comes in a variety of thicknesses and widths.
Refer 'New Stuff' in the slope section.
Rusty Nail is offline Find More Posts by Rusty Nail