SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Jul 15, 2011, 09:38 AM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,708 Posts
Great idea and I did a similar thing with an old SD card box and it works a treat

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbryant View Post
So im liking the cap idea, the only problem i have is that in the UK peaked caps are not allowed in gliders becaue they restrict the view, i don't know if this rule applies in the US.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jims123 View Post
but with regard to the cam mounting,.. one thing that works pretty well is to make a rectangular EPP foam base about 2 by 3 inches and 3/4th inch thick, that slips over to clip on a left or right temple of your sunglasses frame near the lens.. and velchro the cam to that instead.
scotsoft is offline Find More Posts by scotsoft
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 15, 2011, 09:43 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jul 2011
16 Posts
Quote:
Hi StarHubber.. welcome to the wonderland of RGGroups.. I'm not sure where the "50 minutes" variant came from.. but I do have 2 questions.. can you get 50 minutes on your std No 11 cam's battery? .. or do you need to use a Jumbo? .. can you get 50 minutes packed on on a 8GB microSD chip? ( normally it would hold about 40 minutes max I think) and finally why "50" minutes"? .. normally the cams with continuous record firmware will run till the memory runs out, or battery dies, or you stop them ..which ever comes 1st..I believe JimS
Hi Jims. I bought the original #11 with the firmware as shown at
http://cgi.ebay.com/H-264-HD-DV-wide...item336953cb10

I have yet to receive my cam. I will be using it as car dvr in a tictac box. I am using a lousy #10 key cam now. When the time comes, I will fix it on a heli or rcplane. So as a car dvr, power supply is not an issue. For flying, I may have to make some modifications. The good thing is, I have not buy any heli or plane yet. So I can take my time to find one which is having the best cam placement.
starhubber is offline Find More Posts by starhubber
Old Jul 15, 2011, 10:26 AM
London Heathrow, Great Britain (UK)
Joined May 2004
1,399 Posts
Scotsoft - great idea' very crude nut i like it.
simonbryant is offline Find More Posts by simonbryant
Old Jul 15, 2011, 10:29 AM
London Heathrow, Great Britain (UK)
Joined May 2004
1,399 Posts
Jims,

Thanks for the info, how much record time would 8GB give me?
simonbryant is offline Find More Posts by simonbryant
Old Jul 15, 2011, 10:53 AM
Agricultural flyer
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Aug 2007
508 Posts
Here it is! I'm not sure what happened between the edit and upload to Vimeo but the .mpg was only 2mins 20secs and a lot smoother! Like my flying, it might get better but it'll never be perfect
Easy Star over Hawkinge (4 min 17 sec)
mixer421 is offline Find More Posts by mixer421
Old Jul 15, 2011, 11:09 AM
United States, CA, San Ramon
Joined Apr 2011
96 Posts
dang, when are they going to fix the continuous firmware? Someone needs to bug them. It has been a long time for a simple little problem.
xamindar is offline Find More Posts by xamindar
Old Jul 15, 2011, 11:11 AM
Southwest England
Joined Nov 2010
331 Posts
My latest HD mini DV video. Camera has 0.67 wide angle from Deal Extreme and latest software version. It's a shame they can't sort the brown/green colour problem. It's my only criticism of these great little camera. Video is a 33k paragliding flight I made yesterday in Dorset UK. My UK cross country! 5k feet asl at times.

PS I just got the 15mm fisheye from DealExtreme and the quality seems remarkably good.

Paragliding XC Telegraph Hill to Lulworth Cove. 33k. HD mini dv Key Chain video (3 min 1 sec)
bobflyman is offline Find More Posts by bobflyman
Old Jul 15, 2011, 12:14 PM
Nederland, Gelderland, Meteren
Joined Dec 2010
202 Posts
I was testing my 2 micro SD cards i have. It are a Kingston 4Gb CL4 and a Sandisk 4GB CL2, it looks to me that the Sandisk is the better one, but it's a Class 2 card.

The Kingston came with the cam when i bought it, I had no problem with it.

So which card should i use for my #11 cam for the best results?
KeesvR is offline Find More Posts by KeesvR
Old Jul 15, 2011, 01:10 PM
United States, CA, San Ramon
Joined Apr 2011
96 Posts
KeesvR, either one will probably work fine. Totally up to you. They will both give the same results unless there is something else wrong with one.
xamindar is offline Find More Posts by xamindar
Old Jul 15, 2011, 02:15 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,902 Posts
My comments in GREEN below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by starhubber View Post
I have ordered this #11 cam from Diana this week. In case you guys are unaware of, Tom was mentioning about 50 minutes start and stop with date/time stamp firmware. It is now available from digitalele889. I got Diana to update it for me before mailing the camera out. Since Tom has done the very first trial on this firmware I was wondering whether this 50 minutes start/stop firmware:

1. would it happen to include the exposure correction like those in version 2 firmware?
I can't say with 100% certainty since I didn't ask and wasn't told if this is the case. BUT, it is my understanding that once the Rel 2 firmware was put into use, the old Rel 1 firmware was considered obsolete, and future revisions would be to the Rel 2 firmware base. And since the latter Rel 1 firmware and all the Rel 2 firmware up to this new 50 min. S/S/C version have the better exposure control in it, I'd say the chances the better exposure control function also being in this latest 50 min. version are 99.9999999999999%

2. does the recording stop at 50 minutes and restart by itself again? I was thinking whether it would have the same issue of that 4Gb stop and "cannot start" problem.
The 50 min. S/S/C firmware does exactly what the name says... it stpps recording at exactly 50 min., closes the file, then starts a new 50 min. clip. I had to use my external battery pack to even reach the 50 min. point with my original #11, and I only did a bench test with a 4 GB flash memory card. The camera filled the card (one 50 min. clip and one short one), but I was unable to test if the camera does a S/S/C at the file system 4GB limit.

If you have a memory card larger than 4GB, maybe you can test for this when you get your camera? I can also ask the developer about this. I did not post the new 50 min. firmware here since it was still being tested, but since it's now being put on some cameras by the sellers, I'll check back to see if the version I have is the final version, and ask about the 4GB S/S/C function both for this firmware AND the Continuous Recording firmware.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jul 15, 2011 at 10:17 PM. Reason: format
Old Jul 15, 2011, 02:23 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbryant View Post
Tom,

With the latest #11 models do you what the approx battery time is? and how much GB would be used?

Thanks
Depends if you are talking about the small #11 or the jumbo version with larger batteries.... please read the info in post #2 and #3 on recording times, etc.. The file size (GB) varies with the scene you are shooting and even from one camera to the next. My camera averages about 65 MB/min.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 02:27 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,902 Posts
Quote:
Hi StarHubber.. welcome to the wonderland of RGGroups.. I'm not sure where the "50 minutes" variant came from.. but I do have 2 questions.. can you get 50 minutes on your std No 11 cam's battery? .. or do you need to use a Jumbo? .. can you get 50 minutes packed on on a 8GB microSD chip? ( normally it would hold about 40 minutes max I think) and finally why "50" minutes"? .. normally the cams with continuous record firmware will run till the memory runs out, or battery dies, or you stop them ..which ever comes 1st..I believe JimS
There is a 50 min. S/S/C firmware version... i tested it, but wasn't given the go ahead to release it. Since one of the vendors has installed it, I may be able to post this if I have the latest release version. It has limited use for the small #11, unless you are using an external battery pack and greater than 4GB flash card. I think it was developed for the jumbo version.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 02:31 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,902 Posts
Quote:
Hi Simon.. the latest models with the continuous record firmware are said (by the vendors) to support 100 minute record times and i believe they will need a 16Gb Class 4 or above microSD chip to do this.. but since i just got a replacement Jumbo yesterday I am about to confirm this and listen for the audio beep phenomena at the end too.. will let you know .. JimS
If your camera averages about 65 MB/min. like mine does, the 100 min recording time would be about 6.5 GB, easily fitting on an 8GB flash memory card. Maybe you are thinking of your other HD camera that records with MJPEG video codec?
Old Jul 15, 2011, 02:41 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xamindar View Post
dang, when are they going to fix the continuous firmware? Someone needs to bug them. It has been a long time for a simple little problem.
They have been bugged... SEVERAL times by me! They are working on new 1080p camera design, so fixing this firmware bug is not likely on the top of their priority list right now. They are a small company... we need to be patient!
Old Jul 15, 2011, 02:49 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobflyman View Post
My latest HD mini DV video. Camera has 0.67 wide angle from Deal Extreme and latest software version. It's a shame they can't sort the brown/green colour problem. It's my only criticism of these great little camera. Video is a 33k paragliding flight I made yesterday in Dorset UK. My UK cross country! 5k feet asl at times.

PS I just got the 15mm fisheye from DealExtreme and the quality seems remarkably good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNPfipjCnfE
Bob, that was an awesome paraglider flight! I didn't see a scale on the map... how far did you travel? I've done one tandem paraglider flight, but seeing a full size light aircraft flying past BELOW me would have really freaked me out. I wonder if he saw you??
Closed Thread