SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:15 PM
GLM
AMA 209854
GLM's Avatar
Check Six!
Joined Oct 2003
1,511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsme2 View Post
I like the looks of the stiffener kit that Gary Morgan sells. Can you get access to the ESC under it if need be?

Thank you!
Hi It'sme,

Yes you can - it slides out the air intake or backwards to the hole at the rear of the cockpit if necessary. You can also screw the floor down if you mortise in little ply squares in the foam to receive the screw.

Did someone mention Skis?

Check these out - I'll have a video up soon with Skis on my FunCub. The 12" version. No time at the moment - getting ready for this weekends float fly with my Cub on floats - hope to have some video of that next week.

I like a wide range of music... These are some old videos of the Skis in action. Scroll to the bottom of the page.

http://morganmill.com/RC/Skis.html

Cheers!

Gary
GLM is offline Find More Posts by GLM
Last edited by GLM; Oct 10, 2012 at 01:42 PM.
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2012, 05:02 PM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
mutha's Avatar
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2011
2,986 Posts
Gary, doesn't matter how you slice it, there is just no excuse for the second video's music!! :-o
mutha is offline Find More Posts by mutha
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 05:17 PM
GLM
AMA 209854
GLM's Avatar
Check Six!
Joined Oct 2003
1,511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutha View Post
Gary, doesn't matter how you slice it, there is just no excuse for the second video's music!! :-o
I know... It kinda sucks

A friend made that for me - it was at a time when Youtube was zapping music if you infringed on copyrights or something - I was never really clear on that whole mess. He used free renditions of known songs I think.

I stand humbled at the Aussie ability to pick music for flight videos and also have the ability to know junk when they here it - and then say something...

Cheers!

Gary
GLM is offline Find More Posts by GLM
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 05:22 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
zmonster97's Avatar
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined May 2011
3,013 Posts
I may order skis from you Gary. Do they work well on the funcub? Which ones would you recommend for the funcub?
zmonster97 is offline Find More Posts by zmonster97
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:17 PM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
mutha's Avatar
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2011
2,986 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLM View Post

I stand humbled at the Aussie ability to pick music for flight videos and also have the ability to know junk when they here it - and then say something...

Gary
LOL got you fooled have we ...

I did the 'make your own music' thing on a vid I did of my little HK Decatlon it sucked too but was free from Apple in iMovie (don't get me wrong I don't like Apple I just have to know about them)
It was also because of the copyright stuff on You Tube - your video will not have sound in some countries ... blahh blahh

Project D (3 min 29 sec)
mutha is offline Find More Posts by mutha
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:35 PM
Registered User
RGose's Avatar
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Dec 2003
370 Posts
Getting ready to start my MPX Fun Cub. I have studied many of the painting threads but I haven't really seen anyone advise regarding order of operation. Is there any assembly that should be done prior to painting, such as joining the fuse halves or so forth?

Thanks!
RGose is offline Find More Posts by RGose
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:55 PM
GLM
AMA 209854
GLM's Avatar
Check Six!
Joined Oct 2003
1,511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmonster97 View Post
I may order skis from you Gary. Do they work well on the funcub? Which ones would you recommend for the funcub?
Hi Z,

I would think they would work very well - I'll have a definitive answer for you next week when I install them on mine.

Lots of people have them installed on various aircraft. When I get a minute I'll upload some more videos of planes that have used them.

I would recommend the 12" for the FunCub.

Thanks for the interest

Cheers!

Gary
GLM is offline Find More Posts by GLM
Last edited by GLM; Oct 11, 2012 at 12:05 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:56 PM
Registered User
USA, Mt, Billings
Joined Mar 2009
328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by knifeedge63 View Post
i dont think the floor stiffener kit is really nessesary. Just a good metal motor mount like you just listed will work great. But if you want to get the floor stiffener.. go ahead! The quality of morgan mills products is outstanding
Kinda disagree with you here...part way, anyhow.

As prone to resonance as the FC fuselage seems to be (know a couple folks who've lost canopy/hatch covers when it got bad) and how compressed the nose goes when it goes in face-first I feel that SOME kind of stiffener is almost required. Hell, if for no other reason than to quell that WICKED buzz they get (again, resonance).

As far as what to use, there are certainly alternatives to the Morgan Mills floor kit (fitting the stiffeners from the Mentor kit, even large popsicle sticks/tongue depressors like my dad did) work well. Based on overwhelmingly positive reviews herein I have gone ahead and ordered the Morgan Mills kit for the build I have on my bench, along with their battery bullet assembly and just got notification they shipped today. I figure I'm going to add stiffening anyway, may as well use something tailor-made to the FC (especially since the price is SO reasonable) rather than cut in a hack. In fact I've already got another Mentor hardware kit (about 2-1/2 times the price of the Morgan Mills kit) to put those rails in.

What I WOULD pass on is a metal motor mount...if you're powering anywhere NEAR within reason (and the motor the op proposed certainly qualifies here) the stock mount is more than adequate...and "free" since it comes with the FC kit.
NOISY MUSE is offline Find More Posts by NOISY MUSE
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:58 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
zmonster97's Avatar
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined May 2011
3,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLM View Post
Hi Z,

I would they would work very well - I'll have a definitive answer for you next week when I install them on mine.

Lots of people have them installed on various aircraft. When I get a minute I'll uplode some more videos of planes that have used them.

I would recommend the 12" for the FunCub.

Thanks for the interest

Cheers!

Gary
Aren't the 12" ones a little big for the funcub? I don't know, I'm just asking. I was thinking the 9", but I really have no idea.
zmonster97 is offline Find More Posts by zmonster97
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:15 AM
GLM
AMA 209854
GLM's Avatar
Check Six!
Joined Oct 2003
1,511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmonster97 View Post
Aren't the 12" ones a little big for the funcub? I don't know, I'm just asking. I was thinking the 9", but I really have no idea.
Z,

You asked which ones I would recommend. The 9" will do but the 12" will do better. Wider range of snow conditions - longer grass...

I'm suggesting the 12" based on my experience and the scale of the Cub - it's large in every way, large wing, tail etc.

What I can and will do for you tomorrow is set a pair of both next to it and take pictures for you. So you can get an idea of what I'm talking about then you can make the decision.

Cheers!

Gary
GLM is offline Find More Posts by GLM
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 07:16 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
zmonster97's Avatar
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined May 2011
3,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLM View Post
Z,

You asked which ones I would recommend. The 9" will do but the 12" will do better. Wider range of snow conditions - longer grass...

I'm suggesting the 12" based on my experience and the scale of the Cub - it's large in every way, large wing, tail etc.

What I can and will do for you tomorrow is set a pair of both next to it and take pictures for you. So you can get an idea of what I'm talking about then you can make the decision.

Cheers!

Gary
I know you recommended the 12". They just seemed pretty big. But you make them so you should know.

Thanks!
zmonster97 is offline Find More Posts by zmonster97
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:28 PM
Registered User
Potage, MI
Joined Dec 2003
534 Posts
I picked up my Fun Cub today at the LHS. It came from Horizon Hobby and did include a metal motor mount. I retired my first one when it got a little too beat up.

In a perfect world the metal or even plastic motor mount would suffice. A couple of bumps on the front end or an unbalanced prop will require stiffening. I will also be getting a Morgan Mill setup. I especially like the battery box since I've constructed that kind of box before. I also recommend the servo covers. Not for aerodynamics or to keep the water out but to keep the linkages from grabbing the long grass, weeds, tree limbs, etc. It's a lot easier to get it out of a tree if the linkages don't hang down.

Vince
Vince53 is offline Find More Posts by Vince53
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:30 PM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
mutha's Avatar
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2011
2,986 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince53 View Post
....<snip> I also recommend the servo covers. Not for aerodynamics or to keep the water out but to keep the linkages from grabbing the long grass, weeds, tree limbs, etc. It's a lot easier to get it out of a tree if the linkages don't hang down.

Vince
Really easy getting them in one too huh??
mutha is offline Find More Posts by mutha
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:05 PM
GLM
AMA 209854
GLM's Avatar
Check Six!
Joined Oct 2003
1,511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince53 View Post
I picked up my Fun Cub today at the LHS. It came from Horizon Hobby and did include a metal motor mount. I retired my first one when it got a little too beat up.

In a perfect world the metal or even plastic motor mount would suffice. A couple of bumps on the front end or an unbalanced prop will require stiffening. I will also be getting a Morgan Mill setup. I especially like the battery box since I've constructed that kind of box before. I also recommend the servo covers. Not for aerodynamics or to keep the water out but to keep the linkages from grabbing the long grass, weeds, tree limbs, etc. It's a lot easier to get it out of a tree if the linkages don't hang down.

Vince
Thanks Vince,

You have good taste

Cheers!

Gary
GLM is offline Find More Posts by GLM
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:06 PM
GLM
AMA 209854
GLM's Avatar
Check Six!
Joined Oct 2003
1,511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmonster97 View Post
I know you recommended the 12". They just seemed pretty big. But you make them so you should know.

Thanks!
Hi Z,

Sorry I didn't get to taking the pics of the different skis on the Cub - too much stuff to do...

I'll get to it early next week.

Gary
GLM is offline Find More Posts by GLM
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Fun Cub sinowace Hitec/Multiplex USA 14 Oct 09, 2011 05:43 PM
Discussion Multiplex Fun Jet at the lake bah7566 FPV Talk 31 Jan 03, 2010 10:19 AM
For Sale Multiplex Fun Jet -- PRICE DROP Toby W Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Dec 28, 2009 10:51 AM
Video Multiplex Fun Jet FPV set up test bah7566 Electric Plane Talk 0 Dec 25, 2009 11:05 PM
Wanted multiplex fun-jet or trade! heli123 Aircraft - Electric - Jets (FS/W) 0 Nov 14, 2009 12:02 PM